suggestion for 6x scopes

so ive been looking at scopes today and it seems like everything is a 3-9 or 4-12 now. I have always used straight 6 power scopes and they work well for me. Im sure a variable one would be neat for long range or target practice but ill be hunting mostly and would like as few as possibilities to have something go wrong. Like misjudge yardage because the scope got turned to 10x instead of 5x. I would like to hear some options for straight 6x scopes. Right now im looking at leupold, burris, Nikon, and bushnell. I would like to keep it under 300 dollars or so maybe 400 tops. Has to be able to mount on see through rings to as i want the option of iron sights too if the scope becomes unusable.

jmr40

Please forget the see through mounts. They are terrible. If you are concerned about using back up irons, use a quick detachble mount.

I've never used a straight 6X scope, but hear GREAT things about the Leupold 6X-42mm scopes. They probably work great at medium to long range.

I could live with no more than 4X-6X magnification, but prefer the variables to get the lower 2X or 3X settings that are more useful at closer ranges but are a little too short on magnification for longish shots.

thesheepdog

The logic is this-

If standard Battle Iron Sights are suitable for 1,000 yard silloutte gongs, how much more are you increasing your accuracy with just a 6X scope? It's easy; you're 6 times more likely to have a better shot with a 6X scope.

6X is a happy medium for close work, and long range. If you can effectively hit a silloutte out to 500+ yards with Iron Sights, then you don't need anything more than a 3-6X for 1,000+ yards. As long as the reticle is not bigger than 1 MOA you should be fine.

HiBC

I was on the Midway site earlier today.If you go Optics,rifle scopes,fixed power,4 to 10 x,you will get an idea.Natchez has a sale on scopes right now,there is always opticsplanet,and look at SWFA,including their sample list.
I have long been a proponent of the fixed 6x.It is plenty of magnification for any big game shot that I am likely to take,and I have used it on a couple of 400 yd pronghorn shots with success.
The FX 3 Leu 6x x 42 mm scope($475 or so) is a favorite of mine.It has advantages over the FX2 6x x 36.The standard duplex is 2 mils post to post.I would not choose the heavy or wide,myself.
Sightron has some offerings.I do not know them enough to recomend.That Valdada is probably a very good one.
There were 22 reviews of the Weaver K-6 and most everyone gave it near 5 stars.Its about $140 or so.

surg_res

Valdada is an interesting pick... I have one IOR tactical fixed 6x, sold another, both with exceptional glass, nice steel tubes, but so so eye relief. Leupolds are just incredibly bright and seem to work well with respect to target acquisition and eye relief. I too don't understand the increasing numbers of people buying more powerful scopes. I recently fired a man's rifle at the range, topped with a 6-20x (or something to that effect), and was amazed at how poor the visability was, especially at higher powers.

yea i was looking at the weaver k series and it seems that almost everyone gave them high marks. They are much cheaper than the leupolds but i doubt they would last as long. of course i would be just as likely to fall down and smash the scope than i am to wear it out. i might have to try one of both and see.

603Country

I used a Leupold fixed 6 power for years. It was on a BAR in 270, and I didn't feel limited to short range shots. I dropped a coyote at just short of 400 yards and plenty of deer in the 200+ range. Still...I've gone to variables on all but my 22 rifles (all fixed 4 powers). I just like the ability to see a bit further with more detail. Unless a shot is in the woods, where I want to be on about 4 power, I generally shoot at 8 or 10 power. That being said, 6 power is probably all a person needs for most shooting, and I could get by with that if I had to.

Woodyed

I recommend the Sightron SII 6x42 scope. It's very clear and sharp out to the edges. Sightron has a $50 rebate deal going on for this scope at present time. I have 4 of these scopes on my rifles and am well pleased with all of them. I probably will be buying more now because of the rebate.

700cdl

If your going to use iron sights, then use them. The same to be said for optics. But don't go with see through rings, did that many moons ago and actually destroyed them so nobody would want to dig them out of the trash and use them. And if you go with a fixed power optic, I would go with a Leupold. I've had some of my Leupolds for a very, very long time and have never had a problem that wasn't my fault. Dropped my rifle off the Mogion Rim bear hunting (don't ask ) and Leupold didn't even care, they just took care of the problem with no charge, not even shipping.

mapsjanhere

I've been putting quite a few low power variables on my hunting rifles lately, and was really impressed with the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5 -6. Walk with the scope on 1.5 for the quick shot, 6x in a second if you need the aimed shot at 100+yards. So if you like the ability for the (nearly) point blank shot combined with a 6x, that's my suggestion.

Go to SWFA and check out the SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical. I have the 10x42 and love it. Don't get caught up in the tactical name (seems like all scope makers have to call their scopes tactical to sell them now a days), this is a pretty basic scope,that is very good quality, and as tough as nails. I think you will find this the best bang for your buck out there. As an owner of one I can highly recommend this scope. I also second the idea of quick detach rings instead of the see through type.

elkman06

My Tikka T3lite sports a 6X Burris fullfield. Very clear, doesn't fog, accurate as H**&*. I regularly can take solid accurate shots to 450yds.
elkman06

PawPaw

I've got a Weaver K6 on my go-to .30-06 and I'm very pleased with it.

Two deer this year are not very pleased with it.

The link above is to SWFA.com. The folks at Midway USA give the Weaver 4.5 stars. The only criticism I have of it is that it's almost a compact scope, so I had to use extended rings to mount it on my long-action Savage. Other than that, it's given me good service.

that is one thing that concerns me about the weaver as both guns will be long action and ive heard that mounting them can be touchy on long actions.

HiBC

You may find the Leu 6x42 does not have a lot of extra 1 in tube length,either.However,they do have good eye relief.You might try going to big box sporting goods and doing some looky-loo research.Some of them have a wooden dummy gun with rubber rings to try scopes,
I suspect an outfit like Leu or weaver would design their hunting scopes so Joe average woulld have them work fine on a Remchester 30-06.
It would be pretty self defeating to do otherwise.Market share.
The product reviews do mention this,but I wonder if some of it may be personal preference with scope position?
My 6x42 mm Leu is on a Mex Mauser,which is a shorter mauser.Where I screwed the 2 piece Weaver bases on,I do not have any flexibility in positioning.There is just enough room to put the rings on.The rear lense is about even with the ex[posed end of the striker sticking out of the bolt sleeve.Eye relief is right for me.
Another intriguing scope I have seen for sale is a Minox.They have a site,I do not recall if they offer a 6x

Fat White Boy

On my Remmie 700 in .308, I switched out my Leupold VXII 3-9X40 for a Weaver K4. I realized I never took my scope off of 3X, so I figured I don't need a the variable. The fixed scopes have a much better exit pupil (10mm) for low light hunting. I haven't regretted the change...

bamaranger

fixed 6x

I'm a fan of fixed 6's and am running 3, all Leupold small bells (36mm?) Additionally, I often set my 3-9x variables at 6x when hunting, and end up shooting (read deer) game w/ that power setting as a result.

I am a believer in less is more,and in the case of a fixed power scope, I figure fewer moving parts, less to go wrong.

The longest shot, and the family record at present, is bamaboy's 260 yarder on a spike whitetail (his first buck) at a lasered 260 yds and a .243. When the celebrating was over, we found the Leupold 3-9x set at....6x. The first whitetail I ever carried to a taxidermist was shot on a powerline ROW at 210 long paces, with a $60.00 Bushnell (hey it was a while ago) fixed 6x. And to prove the point, my longest shot on a deer was at 225 paces and a fixed 4x. The point being that 6x will provide plenty of magnification for reasonable longer shots on deer size game.

I have not experieced a 6x being to much scope (magnification) in the woods or brush either. In fact, the 6x seems a bit better at picking holes through the woodys, and counting points on a rack (in a QDM program) than the old traditional fixed 2.5, 2.75 and 4x's that I was raised on.

I think that the advice of skipping the see thru mounts is sound.
Good scopes are considerable more reliable than they were in years gone by, and the need for a quick switch to irons to make a shot due to a failed scope is a rare thing these days, if you buy decent scopes.

Even good copes will fail though on occasion, and if you just insist on some type of backup irons, a viable alternative is a quality set of detachable rings and a rifle w/ factory irons, or possibly a fixed factory front and detachable rear peep that attaches to the rear base once the scope is removed using the detaching rings. But needing an instantly available back up set of irons for deer caliber sporter because of a failed scope is a rare anymore.

My Dad liked the see thrus, but he was of the generation that did not yet trust a scope,and he typically did not buy quality optics. The depression syndrome dies hard. A penny saved.......

You will get a better cheek weld and gun mount, and a less arched trajectory (though not largely different, why choke the rifle) and a tidier ,less bulky package, with a lower scope mount system too.

My fixed Leupold fixed 6x are thus mounted: one on a .223 mini-Mauser, another on a 5mm Mag rimfire and the third on a Win M88 .308. If I can find a deal on a used Leu 6-42mm, the Rem 700 .270 will get one also.