Subjective--what's the best wood color on stainless? (686)

shurshot

"I like the orangeish goncalo alves stocks from the 70’s and 80’s Smith and Wessons."

My Bangkok made, 'Bay purchased 686 grips arrived... wish I could post pics from my cell phone... Amazing wood as described above, with S&W medallions too! First coat of Tru-oil just went on. For 1/4 or less of the price of vintage or new Rosewood / Goncalo Alves, I'm VERY happy with these! 7 or 8 more coats and they will go on the gun. Looks very similar to Goncalo Alves / Tigerwood.

Last edited:

upstate81

Shurshot, i have seen those for sale but havent pulled the trigger on a set yet. Im glad you like them ill have to check them out. I have trouble posting pictures on this site as well, always too large.

jimmyjackjones

Black grips for me.

Freedom-Arms-97.jpg

T. O'Heir

That'd be one of those 'eye of the beholder' things.
Always wanted a set of real ivory grips for my Inglis BHP(too many Patton books and movies), but there's an international ban for elephant teeth and I couldn't find any walrus teeth.

pete2

The reddish brown walnut looks best to me. I found that I liked the standard wood grips that Ruger put on my CMD. I have Rosewood on a 329 and Pao Ferro on a 617. I like the Rose wood better than the Pao but the darker walnut with a little red is the prettiest. I didn't buy the new grips for looks, walnut was not available when I bought them.

Ingramite

American Holly Grips

Colt 1911 in .38 Super

Attachments

• Colt 38 Super Holly.jpg
    Colt 38 Super Holly.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: