Subjective--what's the best wood color on stainless? (686)

wild cat mccane

Hey there!

Subjective question. What is the best wood color on a stainless revolver, all else being equal to the grip shape? Top color for you?

Yep totally subjective. Yep I have google. Yep I have wood grips. But I can't say I've thought best and want new wood grips for my 686 4"

Dark red brown? Dark brown? Brown?

So as not to have a dress color fiasco, I consider the 686 Deluxe that comes from S&W to be a brown with hints of red. :)

jglsprings

7490919124_c37980ab84_c.jpg

4323651868_50e8869a74_o.jpg

Rosewood...

wild cat mccane

You beat me at my game. That's wood type. Not color. But good point. Seeing the grain is huge to all this.

I think I'm leaning to less blonde/lighter brown wood.

Thank you for the pics!

FunGramps

Yep...totally subjective. I like the darker rosewood-looking grip. I'm a contrast guy. Both are very attractive though. Like a Blond, Red-head, or Brunette...I like 'em all :D

hemiram

I guess I like Rosewood best, but any wood with a good grain to it looks good. I really like the Bird's Eye Maple grips my friend had made for his S&W 28-2, like this, but better, IMHO:

Labelled+012-bt-to-bm.jpg

And the always nice Dan Wesson Zebrawood:
wm_7570153.jpg

buck460XVR

Grip color/species is like lipstick, eye shadow, fingernail polish or hair color on a woman. To me, they all look good. But for my wife I want something that not only works with me, but compliments/increases my success. At the end of the day, make-up is a moot point, except for the vain.

For the most part, I prefer rubber grips for my magnum revolvers. I've got several pretty stock wood grips in a drawer, that were just uncomfortable to shoot with true magnum loadings. Bottom feeders have what came with them from the factory unless they didn't fit. Then they have Hogue rubbers. Like with make-up when the lights are off, once the gun is in your hand, since you can't see 'em, it's not the looks that count.

MarkCO

I like very dark woods then those with Red hues and finally the very light maples and Black Walnut on stainless.

Brown is okay for my desk, floors and with some blued guns, but I don't really like it with stainless.

gwpercle

Any color , any material ...Except Laminate wood of any form .
Laminate is another word for plywood and plywood looks cheap .
It's my only pet peeve but real solid wood , as produced by mother nature , and finished in Tung oil is my choice ... my most favorite wood is real Brazilian Rosewood with the dark reddish brown coloring .
Gary

rodfac

I like rosewood...these were a bit lighter when new...Rod

Or maybe something a bit more exotic...black and white ebony

Cocobolo is nice too.

Or faux ivory.

Maybe fiddle back maple...

Last edited:

Bob Wright

gwpercle said:

Any color , any material ...Except Laminate wood of any form .
Laminate is another word for plywood and plywood looks cheap .
It's my only pet peeve but real solid wood , as produced by mother nature , and finished in Tung oil is my choice ... my most favorite wood is real Brazilian Rosewood with the dark reddish brown coloring .
Gary

Brazilian rosewood has been nearly impossible to obtain legally for some time now. The closest I've found was Bolivian rosewood.

These are Bolivian rosewood, from the old Lett Grips firm:

Bob Wright