Striker fired, is that all you are buying now?

sigarms228

I like both a lot. SIG classic P series and HK for hammer fired DA/SA and Walther PPQ and Hk VP9 for striker fired.

I shoot both at every range session but my main CCW is my PPQ - excellent trigger, light, fairly compact being just a little bit larger than a Glock 19, reliable, and extremely accurate.

My next gun may be the Sphinx SDP.

Homerboy

What an amazing post! I have always been a hammer fired TDA guy, and always will be, but I shoot my SR9'and LC9-S amazingly well. And I bought them for the manual and magazine safeties. And to share a manual of arms between my carry and home guns. At 25 yards, a paper plate doesn't stand a chance!

MFitz

I don't own a striker-fired pistol - everything I have is either SA, DA or SA/DA. I do however covet the Walther PPQ M2.

DanTSX

It depends. Not all striker fired guns are created the Same. I'm not buying them because they are striker fired. I am buying Glocks because of the consistent trigger with forceful reset, along with a huge market of accessories, replacement parts, and a hurge knowledge base.

At the end of the day, I don't care what is causin the firing pin to hit the primer, as long as it works. I've seen a bunch of folks wrinkle their face at the concept of a striker fired gun, and I don't understand them at all.

Last edited:

JWT

I own one Stryker fire - a S&W Shield 9mm. It's a good gun, but I find I really prefer my other hand guns - all with exposed hammers.

Rinspeed

Myself, I really like having a hammer I can rest my thumb on when I'm re-holstering. My next pistol just might be a VP9 though just because of the apparent high quality and smooth trigger pull.

shootniron

I like striker fired and single action auto's (1911)...don't really care for the DA auto's, although I have an LCP that sees some use.

Mike38

I guess this never really crossed my mind until reading this post, but none of my pistols are striker fired. Tried them, didn't like them.

lee n. field

Striker fired, is that all you are buying now?
I like my DA/SA pistols. The more I shoot the SR9 and LC9s, the more I like a good striker fired trigger!

The things people seem to think distinguish the two, really don't.

"'Stryiker' vs. hammer" matters not a whit to me. It's far, far more important that something fit me, be reliable, and be something I can shoot well.

cslinger

Honestly for serious purposes I have found myself migrating back to hammer fired SIG/HK/Beretta since I prefer that heavy first double action shot and hammer control on re holster. I actually tend to shoot heavier triggers better then lighter triggers.

That being said if it has a trigger and goes bang I shoot it and probably reasonably well........except for the Beretta bobcat. That said if needed It will just be thrown at somebody cuz it's the one gun I cannot hit water while scuba diving with.

iMagUdspEllr

Yup. There is pretty much no point in buying anything DA/SA for me anymore. I wear medium size gloves (which may as well be small in the gun world). I can't properly reach the trigger in DA mode on all of the major DA/SA guns.

I have even installed short reach triggers in DA/SA guns and it isn't enough. I either have to shoot SA or stick to striker fired. *sigh*

I like the fact that you can decock and then just hold your thumb on the back of the hammer so that holstering isn't as risky. But, they just don't fit me. I think there is a market for adjustable trigger reach just like there is a market for interchangeable back straps.

Worc

I prefer DA/SA with decockers especially for CC. I will say that the Walther PPQ has changed my mind quite a bit about striker fired models. I like it enough to convince me to get a second striker in the Styer L9-A1. Even with a new fondness for a good striker gun, my last gun I got was another DA/SA with decocker in the Sphinx SDP.

What ever type I get must be of quality and be comfortable to my hands. To keep it, it must prove reliable and accurate.

JeffK

Nope. I don't like striker-fired pistols, and have never understood why some people do, other than they are usually cheap.

Hammerhead

I used to be a Glock guy, but for home defense I like DA/SA w/manual safety. SA trigger for precision shooting plus the ability to have it locked and de-cocked if I want to slip it in my waistband.