Stretching Mag Springs?

Bernieb90

I just spent some time putting together an FAQ on springs I thought would be helpful. Some of the stuff may be a bit controversial, but I am open to discussions.

Of Springs and Things:
Answering the Most Common FAQs about Gun Springs

Aside from ammunition the gun spring seems to be the most misunderstood common part associated with firearms. Internet forums are packed with threads about when to change them, and what can damage them. In the past I too have succumbed to the madness of the gun spring scouring forums for answers to my questions. As is sometimes the case I ended up with more questions than answers I was satisfied with. As with many things firearm, hearsay and legend often overshadow hard facts, and science. Then one day while reading through another forum thread full of conflicted answers it dawned on me…a gun spring is just a spring like any other. There is no mystery, no magic, and certainly no reason to be confused. Here are the most common questions I see on message board, and the answers to them.

Will leaving magazines loaded for extended periods of time cause the springs to weaken?

The honest answer is YES. There is no way around it. All loaded springs suffer “load loss” or “stress relaxation” when subjected to stress for any extended period of time. The degree of load loss depends on how heavily loaded the spring is, the type of material, the amount of time the load is applied, and the temperature. The degree of loading depends heavily on the design of the magazine itself, and how compressed the spring is. The quality of material is very important, and the higher the tensile strength of the wire the less it will be affected. ROTATING MAGAZINES DOES EXTEND MAGAZINE SPRING LIFE.

But I thought only cyclic loads damaged springs like loading, and unloading the magazine.

There are actually several ways for a spring to fail.
1. Mechanical overloading
2. Fatigue (fracture)
3. Stress relaxation (load loss)

Mechanical overloading is very uncommon in firearm springs simply because firearms have well defined ranges of motions that the designers have accounted for. If a spring is ever overloaded it may be shorter than before, and may be kinked. A spring in this condition needs to be replaced, but not before the firearm is inspected for proper functioning.

Fatigue failures of springs are caused by repeated cycling of the spring during normal operation. Fatigue failure in magazine springs is not an issue because of the number of cycles that would be required to initiate such a failure. Typically fatigue failures start at 10,000 cycles for some highly stressed springs, and may not be an issue for millions of cycles for lightly loaded springs. 10,000 cycles for a typical 10 round magazine would mean firing 100,000 rounds from the same magazine! Where we can see fatigue failures of springs in firearms is in small springs in the fire control mechanism. These springs may in fact see that many cycles considering the frequency of dry fire, and function checks performed by some users.

In the case of stress relaxation, or load loss we may not see anything at all. The spring may lose tension very slowly until it can no longer perform its job properly. The most common symptom of load loss in magazine springs would be double-feeds. If your pistol starts to double-feed try a different magazine. If needed replace the spring in the magazine, but be sure to inspect the magazine body, and feed lips for any cracking, or deformation. Recoil springs experience rapid compression, and may suffer additional effects from shock loading. Even a 10% load loss on a 16lb spring has reduced it to only a 14.4lb spring. Would you shoot .45 ACP “hardball” in a 1911 with a 14lb spring? Common symptoms of load loss in recoil springs are changes in ejection patterns. Specifically cases being thrown further, as well as a change in recoil feel.

But what about all those 1911 magazines left loaded since WWII that still worked fine?

When JMB designed the 1911 it had a 7 round magazine. It was intended to be carried loaded for extended periods of time during combat, and as such the spring was designed to have as little stress on it as possible. Some time later somebody had the idea to make room for an extra round by redesigning the spring, and follower. More stress was put on the spring, and problems began to occur. Some magazines seem to be very easy on springs, and some are pretty hard on them. As a general rule if it is easy to load the magazine to capacity then chances are that the stress on the magazine spring is fairly light. If you need to struggle to put the last round in the spring is being heavily worked as well. It may be a good idea to download one round in those cases especially if the magazine will be loaded for extended periods of time.

Hey I just bought a new recoil spring, and it got shorter, is it damaged?

No the spring is not damaged. In fact it is better than new. Your spring has now been “preset”, and will be able to handle greater load with a longer fatigue life. Manufactures intentionally design the spring to be longer than needed. Once the spring is put into operation it will take a permanent set after about 10 cycles. This set is actually plastic (permanent) deformation of the spring. This deformation sets up beneficial residual stresses in the spring that increase the load capacity, and fatigue resistance of the spring.

If a spring gets weak can’t I just stretch it out to give it more tension?

Yes you can, but it won’t last long. In the above case the spring was plastically (permanently) deformed in the direction of operation of the spring to set up beneficial stresses in the spring. Deforming the spring against the direction of operation has an opposite effect, and can lead to rapid loss of tension, and even spring failure.

Don’t Chrome-Silicon Springs solve all these problems?

No not really. Chrome-silicon springs are intended to operate in higher temperature ranges than music wire. As such they are more resistant to load loss at higher temperatures than music wire. However music wire typically has a higher tensile strength so at room temperature there may not be any benefit to Chrome-Silicon. However in some applications such as machinegun (automatic weapon) extractor/ejector springs. There may be some benefit to using Chrome-Silicon, or even high temperature stainless steel springs. In these cases there may be significant heat in the bolt area of the weapon which may cause conventional springs to fail more rapidly.

Disclaimer:
The author of this article is not affiliated with any spring manufacturer. The author is not responsible for any injuries, or damage that results from the use, or misuse of any information contained in the above article. Ensure you understand the proper methods for disassembling, and reassembling your firearm before changing any components. Always practice safe gun handling when performing any maintenance on a firearm.

Walt Sherrill

Some (but not all) of this same information shown above is also available on the Wolff Springs site, in the FAQ area. Bernie's response above, however, does a much better job of putting the information into a readable format -- and takes it a few steps farther.

Here's a link to the Wolff info: http://www.gunsprings.com/faq

Some here have criticized the Wolff information, saying it's Wolff's business to sell springs and why listen to them. Please note that most of this information tells you how to assess the condition of the springs, and gives good tips about how to PROLONG spring life. (Hardly the behavior of a company intent upon selling you MORE springs...)

If you follow the advice offered above and on the Wolff site, you'll buy fewer springs and have more reliable weapons.

Bill DeShivs

Some (but not all) of the information in this thread is wrong.
In fact, a lot of it is wrong-even some of mine.
I was under the impression that gunmakers, or springmakers, actually made real springs. Apparently, most don't.
And, since the springs aren't made in the traditional way, I'll just say that properly made and designed springs don't get weak.

Slamfire

I just spent some time putting together an FAQ on springs I thought would be helpful. Some of the stuff may be a bit controversial, but I am open to discussions

Bernie: Excellent read. Thanks for the effort! :D

Bernieb90

Bernie,
Where, exactly did you get this information?

I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and I am a PE. I have taken quite a few material science, and stress analysis classes. Most of my interest specifically in springs has been fairly recent. I have read quite a bit in trade journals, and various internet sources on spring making.

Here are some of the sources used to put this FAQ together.

http://www.rockfordspring.com/relaxationofsprings.asp

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA302507&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29044778/Spring-Design-Handbook

http://www.spring-makers-resource.net/support-files/fig_37.pdf

Walt Sherrill

Bill DeShivs wrote:

Some (but not all) of the information in this thread is wrong.
In fact, a lot of it is wrong-even some of mine.

I was under the impression that gunmakers, or springmakers, actually made real springs. Apparently, most don't.

And, since the springs aren't made in the traditional way, I'll just say that properly made and designed springs don't get weak.

Can you give us some examples of properly made and designed springs now used in ultra-high capacity and sub-compact guns? An example or two of a long-lived hi-cap magazine spring would be nice, and help us believe that such springs are possible...

Do you have any personal experience with any of these newer gun designs? For that matter, does your personal inventory of hand guns include any of these newer designs? I've noticed that almost all of your real-world examples, when you've offered evidence at all, have been based on guns of older designs. As several of us have noted, older design guns seldom have spring problems, because those design don't push mag or recoil springs to their limits.

How about giving us an example of a sub-compact .45 that has a recoil spring that will last for the life of the gun?

You seem to feel that there's no problem that can't be resolved by a properly designed spring, and that when problems exist it's because gun designers and spring makers are either incompetent or (implicitly) obsessed with profits.

There is another possibility: modern spring design hasn't kept up with the needs of gun designers. Or, more likely, we keep trying to put 2 lbs of potatoes in a 1 lb. sack...

New Hi-cap 9mm mags, for example, try to put 15-18 rounds into spaces once intended for 8-10 rounds; sub-compact 9mm designs now cram 8-13 rounds into the spaces that would have once been used to hold 6-7 rounds. The problems associated with these new designs only get more difficult when the diameter of the rounds (.40 and .45) are increased. But, we all want guns that are smaller and hold more rounds.

How about some evidence to go along with your claims?

Maybe the problem isn't spring design at all.

Last edited:

Bernieb90

The reason springs on guns need to be changed is partially a function of the way a semiautomatic pistol functions. And partially because of the space limitations found in most firearms.

Because of the way a semiautomatic firearm works there is a very limited amount of energy that is available to cycle the action (slide/Bolt). This energy comes from the initial opposite reaction that the slide/barrel have to the bullet, and gases leaving the barrel. After the initial recoil impulse the slide unlocks from the barrel, and travels rearward by inertia alone. This is why the spring weight is so critical to proper operation. If the spring is too heavy the action may short cycle. A too heavy spring also causes excessive battering of the barrel, and locking lugs. If it is too light then battering of the frame will occur, and there may not be enough force to chamber a new cartridge. This is why springs are available in so many different weights.

Now imagine that your stock 1911 is fitted with a brand new 16lb recoil spring. This spring weight is ideal for standard ball ammunition. Now imagine that you fire 5000 rds through the pistol, and the spring has lost 10% of it's initial rating. You now have a 14.4lb spring in your pistol yet you are still shooting standard ball ammunition. as you can see the spring has a very narrow force window in which it will properly function. Compact pistols require a shorter spring to exert greater loads with greater compression than in full sized pistols. These springs "wear out" or more specifically relax more than springs on full sized guns due to greater stress.

Now here is the tricky part. This spring may be able to continue to function for literally hundreds of thousands of cycles before it actually breaks from fatigue, but it will weaken some more as time goes on.

Springs in power driven applications such as valve springs on cars, and other motor/engine driven machinery can be designed with load loss in mind. These systems can be designed with springs heavier than needed such that if the spring looses some force the system will continue to operate properly.

Gun springs are no different than any other springs. They just have a narrower range of acceptable force than springs in most commercial applications.

Bill DeShivs

Walt,
You are mostly correct about designs over stressing the springs. Yes, I have a few newer design guns that are high capacity. The magazines have been fully loaded for years, and they work fine. S&W and of all things- Keltecs.

It is my contention that, if there is a problem with modern springs, it is because the people making them take the cheap way out for profit reasons. This seems to have become acceptable. I do know that springs can be made for most gun designs that will not weaken. Perhaps it cuts too far into everyone's profit margins, but it certainly can be done. I have personally seen leaf springs that are subject to more stress than any gun spring stay compressed for 50+ years with no ill effects. I have made literally hundreds, maybe thousands of springs that have never lost strength, and none have ever broken. I simply think the bar has been set lower. Simple, 1% carbon music wire in the proper design will work. Things like work-hardened 303 stainless should not even be used for springs in children's toys.

I also think that with many of today's guns, there is not a lot of room for the consumer to customize their guns. Everything has to be black-no nice wood grips, engraving is "out of style", sights have to be laser or radioactive-so tinkering with springs is one of the few things that consumers can do.

It makes me want to become involved in making real gun springs.

Bill DeShivs

BTW- let's use some real compact guns as examples. I have never seen a: Baby Browning, Bernardelli .25, Beretta Jetfire with weak springs. These guns use extremely small designs that should push springs to their limit-moreso than a 17 shot 9mm.

Nnobby45

I'll do it slightly after cleaning my mags. as basic principle. However, I wouldn't use it as a cure for slide not locking back. Change the spring.

grumpa72

Instead of worrying about it (you said this was a duty weapon), go to http://www.gunsprings.com/ and order new springs for your mags and a spring replacement kit for your gun. I have a hard time believing that you feel comfortable carrying a duty weapon that needs its spring stretched (sounds kind of kinky :D ) to function reliably. Call it preventative maintenance or piece of mind!

Walt Sherrill

BTW- let's use some real compact guns as examples. I have never seen a: Baby Browning, Bernardelli .25, Beretta Jetfire with weak springs. These guns use extremely small designs that should push springs to their limit-moreso than a 17 shot 9mm.

I've seen several Beretta Jetfires with problems, some of which weren't resolved. I briefly had one, myself -- it was more trouble than it was worth. I don't think my experience was unique. Was the problem springs? Hard to say. I never figured it out. (I also had an early Beretta Tomcat which was a horror story -- but the problem there wasn't springs.)

The extremely small guns you cite above also have extremely small cartridges, yet these guns are not that much smaller than some of the smallest 9mm and .380 guns that have surplanted them in the market place.

None of the guns you cite are optimal for self-defense. They are collector guns or novelties -- for a reason. Does that detract from their springs or spring design? Probably not, but I would argue that these springs aren't working particularly hard.

Example and comparisons:

The Baby Browning holds 6 rounds of .25 acp. It's height is 2.75"
It is .75" wide.

- It holds 6 rounds of .25 acp, which take up approximately 1.5" in a single stack mag. (I don't have an measurements of the mag size, do you? That would be nice so we could see how much space was left for springs.)

- The overall gun height is 1.25" greater than the space required to hold the rounds, but that is meaningless data unless we know mag size.

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is 4.3" high and .88 wide.

- It holds 7 rounds of 9mm ammo. These seven rounds take up 2.485" of vertical space (in a single-stack mag that is 3.65" high.)

- Overall size of the mag is 1.25" greater than the rounds, and that includes an extra (7th) round (.355"). By making the mag one round smaller, it could be only 1" greater than needed for six rounds that are 40% larger in diameter. As it is, those six rounds would arguably have more spring than seems to be is required.

Seems as though the springs have to be working a bit harder for this gun than for the Baby Browning.

Got some examples of your own?

Like you, I've had good experiences with springs in Kel-Tecs -- and have never had to replace a mag spring for one of their guns.

I have had to replace a number of springs in my 15 and 16 round CZ mags, but never in my 10-round CZ mags. It should be noted that the two mags use the same springs.

I've had to replace some springs in a S&W 5906, and in a Beretta 92, but have not had to replace any in my SIGs. (Probably because they are not kept fully loaded.)

I had to replace 6 mag springs for a Kahr P9, not long ago. Getting those springs installed was a real challenge, as they are very stout springs. The mags, which I bought used with the gun, were factory mags and the springs died over the year I owned the gun. The gun wouldn't feed, and the springs died rapidly. A month or two prior to their failure, they were working beautifully.

Upon replacement, the gun was 100% again. I don't have one of those mags available, but it would be a good sample for analysis.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
It's not the overall size of the gun that matters, it's how much the magazine design compresses the magazine spring when the magazine is fully loaded.

If the magazine design doesn't compress the spring too much then the spring will last indefinitely. That seems to be the case with virtually all single-column designs when used with standard capacity magazines and with most double-column magazines.

A few double-column magazine designs seem to favor capacity over spring durability and that can result in springs weakening if the mags are fully loaded. Leaving them fully loaded speeds the weakening process. This seems to be less and less of a problem these days, but when the wondernine craze was in its infancy and every gun designer out there wanted to be able to claim their gun would hold 1 or 2 more rounds than the competition, it was more common.

I remember one review from years back that did a torture test of a particular high-capacity 9mm handgun. The initial magazine springs wore out early in the test (about a fifth to a third of the way through) and they started getting malfunctions as a result. The reviewer put in new factory springs identical to the originals but then underloaded the magazines by 2 from then on. They completed the test, firing something like 3x to 5x more rounds than it took to wear out the first set of springs but without incident. Underloading the magazines improved the lifespan of the magazine springs by at least a factor of 3. They were still working flawlessly at the end of the test even though they had lasted much longer than the initial set worn out by fully loading the magazines.

I shot airguns for many years before I got into firearms a few decades ago and was surprised to find that the firearms world apparently didn't understand springs. It was and is common knowledge in the airgun world that if you overcompress a spring and leave it overcompressed that it will weaken. This is why all the manufacturers of spring-piston airguns recommend not leaving them cocked for long durations. A couple of tests have been done demonstrating that the springs weaken if the gun is left cocked (springs compressed) for the doubters.

The key is overcompression. Spring piston airgun designers are willing to take a small hit in spring life in return for maximum power with minimum size and weight and minimum cocking effort. The result is that the springs take a bit of a beating. If you use top-quality, high-dollar, custom aftermarket springs you can minimize the weakening effect, but even they will show some power loss if they're left cocked for too long.

Here's a test showing that effect. RBest (Russ Best) is a noted airgunsmith and tuner.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...you+keep+your+springer+cocked-+Here's+a+test-

Note that all of the springs lost power, and all of them lost about the same amount of power. That's across 4 different brands and several different models of airguns which makes the contention that this is purely a matter of poor quality springs. Especially given that these are all high-quality European (primarily German and English) made airguns.

Tom Gaylord's book on the R1 airgun does a similar test using a variety of springs and obtained very similar results.

Airgun manufacturers have now introduced gas-piston airguns that use compressed gas "springs" instead of compressed coil springs to eliminate this issue. The downside is increased cocking effort and cost. But some airgun hunters are willing to deal with these negatives in return for not having to deal with replacing springs periodically from leaving the guns cocked for long periods while hunting.

Anyway, springs can definitely weaken from being left compressed. The farther they're compressed and the longer they're left compressed the more likely they are to weaken. That applies to magazine springs.

Doesn't happen with all magazine springs but it certainly does with some.

Check your magazines from time to time and if you don't ever notice a problem then you're not likely to ever notice one. If you do notice a problem then you have some options.
  • Replace springs at regular intervals.
  • Check springs at regular intervals and replace as necessary.
  • Reduce the amount of compression (underload) and see if that fixes the problem.

Bill DeShivs

Here are pictures of a Baby Browning. There certainly isn't much room in that loaded magazine. The recoil springs get compressed pretty fully, as there isn't much slide travel.
Same with the PF9 pictured.

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Walt Sherrill

The Browning website has the Baby Browning manual. http://www.browning.com/customerservice/ownersmanuals/index.asp

It says the mag holds six rounds of .25 acp. If it's 6 rounds, then approximately 7/8" of an inch is available for the spring -- more than 1/3 of the total space available.

I think bigger problems arise with double-stack mags, as much more weight must be lifted by the springs and pushed FARTHER through the whole shooting cycle.

Last edited: