Stress relieving and factory Rem 700 barrel

Bart B.

First spiral fluted barrel I saw was in 1965.

I don't buy Shaw's thinking on spiral flutes benefits.

If it provides more surface area than straight fluting, then it removes more metal; the barrel will be less stiff. Observing the two flute styles in that link tells me there's alot more metal removed by spiral fluting. With the same size flutes, either staight or spiraled, the spiral ones are longer and therefore remove more metal.

"Improved harmonics" is one of the best Snake Oil marketing hypes in the rifle barrel business. There is no benefit of improved harmonics by fluting a barrel by how much metal's removed nor the shape of the barrel afterwords. Removing metal makes the barrel less rigid and it will have a lower natural vibration frequency because it's not as stiff as it was before fluting. Harmonics are just multiples of that frequency. The more metal that's removed makes the natural frequency go lower. And its the same frequency for every shot fired. All that does is change the muzzle axis angle the bullet leaves at. That may or may not improve accuracy for a given load; it might require small change in powder charge weight to get the bullets to leave at the same angle as before. Bottom line's the barrel less stiff with more metal removed and that's counter to what most folks want; stiffer barrels.

Whatever rotational torque the barrel has from the bullet going down the rifled barrel will be exactly the same for every shot fired. Just like the reward recoil from the same thing. Fluting that barrel removes weight so the same amount of rotational torque will have less mass to resist it; fluted barrels twist more in barrel time recoil than non-fluted ones do. As the spiral fluted ones have more metal removed, its lesser mass means it'll twist more from the same amount of torque. But its the same amount each time regardless of how much metal was removed by fluting or whether it was fluted or not; it's consistant with every shot.

It's interesting that the patent was issued in June, 2000, and it's for "The ornamental design for a gun barrel" and the documents state nothing about improving anything regarding his claims on the web site:

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/USD426611.pdf

Pro Precision Rifles does spiral fluting that looks like an Easy-Out screw extractor at two places on barrels:

http://proprecisionrifles.com/custombarrelfluting/002b.html

Last edited:

taylorce1

ripnbst said:
The gun makes nice 3 shot groups but 5 shots not so much. My guess is by the 4th and 5th shots the barrel is too warm.
Have you checked to see if your ADL is free floated or have you floated it? Usually if your POI shifts a lot because of heat you have something forcing the barrel that way. However some Remington's work better with a pressure point bed near the tip of the forearm.

ripnbst said:
The BDL is not what I really want, but my stock upgrade options suck if I stick with the ADL.

I saw that McMillan made stocks for ADL and I got excited but it was just that much further for me to fall when I saw the prices. Those Mcmillans are pricey pricey pricey

Maybe I just have to sack up and go for a McMillan it will just take longer to save the money to do it.

Start looking at doing a nice custom wood stock if you want expensive. You can easily tie up several thousand dollars into a custom wood stock. I love wood stocks but have started buying McMillians when I want a new stock because they are simply cheaper.

Like you're finding out though McMillan isn't the only player in town, but they probably have the most stock options out there. Plus you can buy any ADL stock that you want because simply it can be inlet for bottom metal at any time. It sounds like you are planning of going to an ACIS magazine at some time in the future and it is a pretty simple job for a gunsmith with a mill to open up the stock for bottom metal.

However I do agree, it'll be cheaper to just buy a new rifle rather than trying to make your current rifle into a M40 style rifle.