Strangest gun you have ever fired or handled

Status
Not open for further replies.

603Country

For me, I guess it was the M-79 grenade launcher and the LAAW rocket launcher. And when I was a kid i got to shoot a real WWII Luger that my buddy's dad took off a nazi officer in the war. Back then that was pretty darn cool.

Falcon5NZ

I did not shoot it, but it was an Enfield SMLE converted to a .410 single shot.

David

I've got a custom one. 11" barrel, 30.25" OAL, 3 shot single stack mag. Fires .410, .45LC, .454 Casull .45 Schofield. Will chamber .460 S&W (not .460 Roland as I originally typed) but I'm not trying that purely due to chamber pressures. Loaded with blanks it can be used as a line launcher to throw a light line a hundred or so meters. No recoil even with .454 and It can be fired single handed like a duelling pistol. Next things I want to do to it are a shellholder bolt for .45ACP and suppress it.
I don't think it's strange (very cool, yes) but whenever I get it out somewhere the general response is "What the heck is THAT?"

Last edited:

CajunBass

A custom Smith & Wesson Model 29, with the barrel cut down to 2 1/2", and magnaported. The "N" frame grip had been cut off, and a "K" frame grip welded on. Naturally there had been a VERY good trigger job done on it. The gun had been refinished and looked to me anyway, like a factory job. The owner let me shoot a few rounds through it, the first time I ever fired a 44 Magnum.

(Now, understand, I was young at the time, and that's what the fellow told me had been done, anyway.)

aarondhgraham

A wheellock pistol,,,

I once new an older gentleman who had a tremendous collection of antique guns,,,
The odd thing was that he liked to shoot the darn things,,,
Not just hang em on a wall and look at them.

He let me fire off a lightly loaded round,,,
Then we fired rocks and bones from a blunderbuss.

Aarond

Glenn E. Meyer

Modern Tactical but Impractical Guns You bought Just Because

Watching the weird antique thread by Aaron - I thought of modern guns promoted for self-defense but really impractical but you bought just for grins.

Yes, they would work if you shot someone but they are not the greatest choice.

Spare me the Judge though - haha. We've done that.

My thoughts:

1. My NAA Mini 22S revolver. It shoots, it's tiny. It's wonderfully hard to shoot at a distance. I tried it on the old TX DPS CHL protocol. I shot a 120 ish. With a Glock I shoot 250 (which anyone should). I shot a 230 ish with a Mini with the 1 5/8 barrel - although some rounds were sidewise. :D

2. I saw and was tempted by the Bond Backup - http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/backup/. It just looked cool - Must be a bear to shoot and only two rounds, etc. But it's scary looking.

3. Mossberg Maverick O/U shotgun - Double barrel guns are neat - It offers nothing over my Winchester Defender but it was a tempting model on the grins side. Reviews were mixed so I passed.

Any others you bought just because it's 'tactical' but somewhat silly?

Skans

I like this thread!

Some strange firearms I've handled or have:

COP .357 (have)
Borchardt C-93 (handled)
Gwinn Arm Pistol (have)
Mateba semi-auto revolver (handled)
HAC-7 (have) .308 proprietary rifle made in the '80's that looks like the offspring of a FAL and and AR10.

Sevens

I've got a custom one. 11" barrel, 30.25" OAL, 3 shot single stack mag. Fires .410, .45LC, .454 Casull .45 Schofield. Will chamber .460 Roland but I'm not trying that purely due to chamber pressures.
Hey...

If you actually run .454 Casull in that thing, .460 Rowland is a downgrade. Rowland runs at a lower peak pressure.

Microgunner

I own a Boberg XR9-S whos magazine is loaded from the back, projectile first, and the pistol pulls the cartridge from the back of the mag, lifts it up and shoves it into the chamber.

I also own a Chiappa Rhino. 357.

I used to own a .25ACP folding pen gun.

Last edited:

Falcon5NZ

I've got a custom one. 11" barrel, 30.25" OAL, 3 shot single stack mag. Fires .410, .45LC, .454 Casull .45 Schofield. Will chamber .460 Roland but I'm not trying that purely due to chamber pressures.
Hey...

If you actually run .454 Casull in that thing, .460 Rowland is a downgrade. Rowland runs at a lower peak pressure.

Sorry Sevens I meant .460 S&W not Roland. But when I figure out my shell holder bolt, it will fire Roland. I do use .454 through it but when I'm using that it is chambered in $5 notes!

Jo6pak

I own a Boberg XR9-S whos magazine is loaded from the back, projectile first, and the pistol pulls the cartridge from the back of the mag, lifts it up and shoves it into the chamber.

Just watched a video on this pistol. Seems like most of the odd ones are older designs when they were still trying to figure everything out. For a modern piece, that is truly a strange one there.

Skans

I have to agree that for a modern gun, the Boberg XR9-S wins "strangest gun". You can take it apart and spend a good amount of time just trying to figure out what each part does. Besides the way cartridges are pulled from the magazine and then inserted into the chamber, there are a couple other oddities about this gun:

1. The "hammer" is a square steel "flap" that fits flush with the pistol;
2. The recoil spring is offset to the side and runs about the full length of the slide;
3. Boberg has videos of how the gun will still function properly with the recoil spring/guiderod removed.
4. If you don't use the right ammo, the bullet can actually separate from the casing upon being pulled from the magazine.
5. Some parts serve dual purposes - I'm still trying to figure out what each part does.

carguychris

Jo6pak said:
Just watched a video on [the Boberg]. Seems like most of the odd ones are older designs when they were still trying to figure everything out. For a modern piece, that is truly a strange one there.
FWIW it's not entirely new; the Boberg's basic feed system- with the cartridges being yanked out of the rear of the magazine by "tongs", then fed forwards- is conceptually based on the Mars (or Webley-Mars) pistol, which was designed around the end of the 19th century by a Brit named Hugh Gabbet-Fairfax.

However, the Boberg fixes the Mars' primary design flaw- an ejection system that often required partial disassembly of the weapon to clear an FTE.

Skans

I would be surprised if Boberg's design was actually based on the Mars pistol. Only 80 Mars pistols were ever made and Boberg's design is quite different from what little I can tell.

carguychris

Skans said:
I would be surprised if Boberg's design was actually based on the Mars pistol. Only 80 Mars pistols were ever made and Boberg's design is quite different from what little I can tell.
I wrote "conceptually based"- like how a Glock is conceptually based on a 1911. ;)

The "backwards" feed system using "tongs" or "fingers" is about where the similarities between the Boberg and Mars begin and end- but IMHO this one similarity is significant, as it's a departure from virtually every other semi-auto pistol design.

Skans

... like how a Glock is conceptually based on a 1911
:D:D:D

I actually looked for (and found) a diagram of the Mars - neat gun, I wish that more than 80 were made, because I'd like to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.