Storing rifle bolt open?

Homerboy

I can't think of a worse way to store a weapon. Is the point to make it more instantly available? It's locked in a safe as it is!

bfoosh006

I do not have an answer for your VZ2008... frankly I don't even know if it has a bolt "lockback" feature.

As for storage that way ... I won't do it.

The main reasons are un-needed stress on the various springs.

And I prefer not to allow even the chance of a round being in the chamber while in storage. Ever.

Also sometimes you need a subconscious message to your brain in order to reach a decent level of fight mode. Training is just for that reason... so your repetition in training takes over and helps you. Having your rifle like that could lead to a "negligent" discharge. ( No offense ) You could chamber the round and fire before you are fully aware of your surroundings.

Being forced into chambering a round can help put your mindset into a "fight" mode.

Someone might not realize one is "almost" ready to go.

Mag full ( or readily available ) and chamber empty is how I keep my firearms.

Another side note.... I prefer all firearms not to have a round in the chamber, because in the event of a fire ... that round could "cookoff" and discharge.

Theohazard

dakota.potts said:
Both have one magazine of premium self-defense/hunting ammo locked in, with the bolt held open on an empty chamber. This is how I prefer to store them.
Why? This is a terrible way to store an AR. It's one of the worst ways possible; in your mind the gun is unloaded, but all it takes is a slight bump on the rifle and the bolt slams home, chambering a round.

There is absolutely zero advantage to storing an AR this way. If you're worried about safety, store it with the bolt closed and the chamber empty. If you're worried about speed, store it with a round in the chamber and the safety engaged. But, in my opinon, storing an AR with a magazine loaded and the bolt locked to the rear is downright negligent due to how easy it is to accidentally chamber a round.

EDIT: Dakota, I just re-read this post and realized it sounds harsh and even a little rude. That was not at all my intention; my intention was simply to strongly emphasize the fact that I think this is a bad way to store your rifles.

Last edited:

Ibmikey

Theo, Don't apologize, if your words (and those of many others) save one from a stupid discharge it is well worth it. There are safer ways to maintain a home defense weapon.

dakota.potts

The rifles are kept in the safe, but it stays open when we're home for quick access. I liked to store them with an open bolt because it allows the loaded status to be quickly confirmed without manipulating the firearm. I prefer having to operate the bolt on a rifle because I shoot then lefty and that can make manipulation of the safety difficult. Keeping the bolt open allows a more reliable release and avoids hazards such as short-chucking the bolt.

I hadn't heard of it being a safety hazard, but as that seems to be the consensus here, I guess I'll be revisiting my plan and store them on a closed, empty chamber in the future. The handgun is the first line of defense anyways

marine6680

Only keep a mag in a weapon that has ammo... and then you will know that any rifle in the safe with a mag has rounds in it.

USMCGrunt

CLC has it right. In my reserve job (Combat Arms instructor and cop) the way weapons are stored when not in use is called rack-safe. That is; when the weapon is turned in, its cleared with the bolt to the rear, magazine removed and the selector lever on safe. The armorer then will send the bolt forward, close the ejection port cover, turn the selector leveron semi, and squeeze the trigger dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. This ensures that all the spring tension is removed from the weapon. Upon issue, the cleared weapon is handed to the cop arming up. The muzzle is put into the clearing barrel where bolt is sent forward, ejection port closed and a loaded magazine is inserted and the weapon is ready for post. In the Marines, we would turn the selector lever to semi, squeeze the trigger drop ng the hammer then insert the loaded magazine. The big difference was that in the Marines when the need to fire a round was needed, once the charging handle was cycled, it was ready for action whereas in the Air Force, you still have to turn the selector lever off safe before firing.
Today, any rifle that is kept for home defense, I still use my old Marine Corps training with an empty chamber, hammer down, ejection port (if equipped) closed and the selector lever on fire. It's really no different than a shotgun in "cruiser ready" condition. Need to use it, jack in a round and you're set to go.
I wouldn't recommend the OPs method. A bolt to the rear can be jarred chambering a round when you don't want one up the spout, and then there is the debate about spring tension being effected. Some claim it will weaken them and others say it won't. I say where there's smoke there's fire so I err on the side of caution and prevent spring load tension any time I can.

stagpanther

I'm curious USMCGrunt--do the marines really hand cycle the bolt as opposed to dropping it from locked to cycle a round when first issued (in other words no round in the chamber until going into action)? The only reason I ask is I wonder about the possibility of short stroking the handle and not getting the first round into battery properly.

USMCGrunt

In both cases, be it Air Force or Marines, if you are outside the wire downrange, yeah, that changes things a bit. There you start with a clear weapon, insert the magazine, drop the bolt, close the rejection port cover and you are set. However that's a bit different when you are expecting a high probability of contact as compared to normal circumstances!stances.

Metal god

I have found that where my safe is and how I must pull rifles from it . I almost point the muzzle at my self when removing the rifle from the safe . Not really when you pay attention to what your doing . That is why none of my rifles have mags or ammo in them when in the safe . I have loaded mags on a shelf but not in the rifles . I use a pistol for HD/SD with the 12gage with 5 shells on the buttstock ready to load .

Like others have said , just a slight jarring of an AR and the bolt will fly home . It would be my luck that happens when I'm pulling it from the safe . My luck would likely have it slam fire as well . You know when the muzzle is pointing close to my body . :eek: yep that's my karma :rolleyes:

leadcounsel

I hadn't heard of it being a safety hazard, but as that seems to be the consensus here, I guess I'll be revisiting my plan and store them on a closed, empty chamber in the future. The handgun is the first line of defense anyways

Storing any semi-auto that has a spring-loaded bolt/receiver with a full magazine in a way that it only requires a jarring of it to bring the bolt home on a live round is a foolish recipe waiting for predictable disaster. I mentioned it before, but DO NOT EVER STORE a weapon like this. Empty, bolt open or forward, bolt closed on an empty chamber are all better options.

It takes only a moment to put a magazine in and/or rack the slide.

Since you're a writer you presumably have some level of credibility - you should understand this storage point.

rickyrick

I would suggest not storing loaded rifles in a safe. If you have time to get a rifle out of a safe, you have time to insert a mag and charge it.

One brain cramp and you've got a problem. Most people have a pistol in case of emergency.

Bolt open is fine. But I wouldn't have a full mag in it.

Now a person without kids, maybe a rifle over the door might be ok. Kids around, rifle should be locked away unloaded.

A pistol can be under a persons control almost every moment.

Now probably a high percentage can be stored loaded and go years without incident; but the probability of a discharge still exists. But 100% percent of all firearms will not discharge if they are not loaded in any way.

dakota.potts

I don't have kids and live with my significant other who is also comfortable around them, so keeping them secured is really for my own peace of mind. Keeping them in the safe (it's more of a locking cabinet) gives me a centralized place to keep them in the closet, and because of the layout of our home it's easy to access where we spend most of our time. I do lock it up when we leave, but that's more to deter burglary than anything else.

I've decided instead to store them with a full magazine on an empty chamber (bolt forward) and safety on. I don't usually use safeties (my handgun and my two bolt action rifles either don't have them or are impractical to use) but if the bolt's going to be forward, the thumb safety does give me some measure of redundancy. Of all the things people had told me to do when it came to storing firearms, storing them with an open bolt had never been addressed. Thanks for helping me understand it.

rickyrick

No kids in the house, store them however you want.

Magazine in, chamber empty and bolt forward sounds reasonable to me. Still treat it as if it were loaded.
Funny thing about the mind is that if you forget that you chambered a round, you won't remember it.

Big Shrek

Open bolt storage??
Would you store an AR15 with the dust cover open?? I think not...
Same thing with every other weapon...keep the dust out, critters out, & save the springs.

Now, that being said, it isn't a bad idea to cover the barrel end either...
ever find a rifle with a dirt dauber nest in the barrel??
Lots of options...but I like funky golf club covers ;)