Stopping the threat

Old Bill Dibble

Anyone who's never been shot at, or been in an exchane of gunfire has any business commenting on those who have.... They have no idea. Training can ingrane good shooting and fighting habits. Thats always a good thing. Actual shootings are not often the squair ring event that most people imagine.

It would be tough to fill a jury box then.

briandg

My take on it is that "stopping the threat" is only seen in hindsight. That doesn't mean that we can defend extreme use of force by saying "how could I know that he was dead after the first shot?"

I don't believe that emptying a magazine is a smart thing to do at all, but shooting at the guy until you feel that the threat is over is expected.

When should you stop shooting? When the threat seems to be over.

Is the threat lying on the ground, out cold? Did you just center mass a load of buckshot? Rifle round to the chest? ..honestly, anyone who has done any learning on this subject will know when to stop shooting, and the shooting had better stop, or its not going to be a good thing.

Whatever the situation, capping an unconscious person in the head is inappropriate. Dumping an extra five rounds in his back.

you aredefending yourself, not deer hunting. don't just follow your instincts or desires, your anger, stay in control and only do what you have to do to remain safe.

At the very least, remember that every round you fire also presents a serious threat to anyone within the range of a stray bullet. Seeing a cop download a full magazine into the guy's processor is not an example to follow. You will be accountable for whatever happens, and you won't have a badge, free lawyers, and so forth. You're just going to be the guy who shot a teenager fifteen times, with ten of those rounds in the back.

marines6433

Trying to say what you need to do, while being attacked, usually goes right out the window at the moment of contact. Training helps, no doubt, but in the heat of the moment, you never really know how exactly you will react. JMHO.

Lohman446

Anyone who's never been shot at, or been in an exchane of gunfire has any business commenting on those who have.... They have no idea

Under this line of reasoning no one who has not been in a position that committing a crime was a reasonable solution has a right to sit in judgement of those that have.

No one who has not had heart disease should diagnose it.

No one who has not been directly exposed to a particular psychological condition should be allowed to recommend treatment.

lefteye

Despite hearing hundreds (thousands?) of shots in and near Saigon, the Rung Sat Special Zone SE of Saigon, and the Black Virgin mountain miles NW of Saigon, I have no idea if any of those shots were intended for me or other people near me. Nevertheless, I don't feel like I should be or am disqualified to comment on shooting incidents (although I rarely do.)

briandg

No one who has not been directly exposed to a particular psychological condition should be allowed to recommend treatment.

I agree with that I think. I don't want someone with borderline personality having authority to diagnose people with it. That makes people weird.

briandg

Despite hearing hundreds (thousands?) of shots in and near Saigon, the Rung Sat Special Zone SE of Saigon, and the Black Virgin mountain miles NW of Saigon, I have no idea if any of those shots were intended for me or other people near me.
I had a long discussion with a guy who was there. He had one combat experience, he was only a base worker, in a convoy that was attacked. He had a shotgun, but he jumped behind a truck and stayed out of sight while the fighters took on the ambushers. He felt like a coward, because he was of course, afraid of what was happening, and hid, but I don't see it that way at all. Barely trained, a noncombatant, and not needed anyway. A pump shotgun may not have made much of a difference anyway, maybe a couple thousand rounds of 223 into the bushes, what would his 150 pellets have done?

I didn't see it as cowardice, it was the decision that he made at the time, partly based that he wasn't there for fighting. He was just carrying papers.

lefteye

Briandg - He was not a coward!!! I often had a 12 ga. pump shotgun in my cute blue jeep in Saigon. If I remember correctly it was a Win 1897 with a short barrel - probably a police model. I do not remember Army combat "rules" or "procedures" (from about 50 years ago) but training beyond "basic" included many subjects/skills other than combat shooting.