Stolen Firearm and Serial Numbers

Adventurer 2

I don't live in OH. I think that it is some kind of state wide law. I took this picture outside of the hotel. The warning is posted all over the hotel. I didn't want to sneak an obvious rifle into my room. I wish the hotel would take some kind of measures to protect personal belongings - The front-desk lady made the comment when I asked her to call the police that she should know their number by heart. I guess this Holliday Inn is a shopping ground for thieves.

Attachments

• No Weapons.jpg
    No Weapons.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 50

Rangefinder

This could be a wild idea off the deep end, but were any other vehicles broken into at the same time as yours? If not, I think I'd start suspecting an inside job. Front desk has your vehicle discription and plate number--a simple call to a particular friend saying "yah, this truck looks ripe--give it an hour for him to settle in for the night..." seems entirely plausable. And what about lot survellance? If there seems to be a pattern for vehicle break-ins at that motel, a responsible owner/manager would think to put in a closed-circut system--unless they really aren't interested in the individuals responsible being caught. Something just doesn't smell right.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I think that it is some kind of state wide law.
Ohio has no such law. The law does provide, however, that businesses can prohibit guns on their property with full backing from the law. The decision to prohibit or allow is solely up to the individual business.

Nor is this a policy of Holiday Inns in general. During deer season, our motels, including our Holiday Inn, are filled with hunters, and leaving guns in vehicles is discouraged.

Usually, the sign you saw is aimed at those carrying handguns with a CCW permit. For long guns, I suggest you go directly to the motel management and ask permission.

TNT_Shooter

Adventurer 2

Question for you:

Did your vehicle have any type of insignia that identified you as pro-gun, pro-hunting, etc? It is a fact that criminals looking to break in cars actually seek vehicles that have NRA stickers, Ducks Unlimited, or other "pro-2nd amen" stickers. They know there is a higher probability there will be a "score."

Just something to think about for all of us who are proud of our firearms rights. I, personally, never advertise on my vehicle for this very reason.

Good luck in getting your gun back.

TNT

junkpile

It is a fact that criminals looking to break in cars actually seek vehicles that have NRA stickers, Ducks Unlimited, or other "pro-2nd amen" stickers.

I'd be very interested to see data on this. Seems like a poor idea to break into a car with an NRA sticker, even if it might have more to loot. Same reason it seems a poor idea to break into a house with a security sign, even though that may indicate they have something to protect. Not saying people who rob aren't fools, just saying it's counterintuitive enough to make me wonder if it's true.

Lurch37

Glad to hear your getting your gun back! On the topic of security I also keep an inventory of my firearms on the computer. I realize that if it should crash or get stolen I would be SOL, so I have two zip drives/flash drives, that I backup my main files to...say once a month or so. They are small enough to hide in a secure place and I carry one with me always. In the event of something like this I would have other means to provide a serial number and/or pictures of said firearm.

TNT_Shooter

Junkpile,

No written data to support claim of criminals seeking cars with pro-gun insignia. I shoot competively with several police agencies locally and they all agree (and inform victims) that advertising with stickers is a bad idea. One officer, upon interviewing a suspect caught breaking in cars, said the perp admitted he looked for cars with such stickers. The perp said he could smash a window and get guns quickly and make good money selling them.

Even without written data, it is something to consider.

Respectively disagreeing, your analogy is flawed. Someone can break into a car within seconds and search the entire vehicle. Breaking into a house (no matter what kind of house) is a more extensive proposition. Yes, it can happen quickly, but much more risk involved for the perp. (ie. is anyone home, animals, etc.) A car is quick and if NRA stickers are posted, good chance a gun could fall in the wrong hands.

TNT

BillCA

Two years ago, when requalifying for my Nevada permit in a class given in California, we stayed in a motel in the sierra foothills. We offloaded about 5 aluminum briefcase sized cases along with our luggage. As we settled into the room, someone knocked on the door. Was a hotel managment staff, asking if we had weapons because someone saw us with lots of metal boxes. I pointed to the boxes stacked up in a corner along with a camera tripod and a 35mm SLR. "You mean our camera gear?" The manager apologized for the intrusion.

When we checked out, I said I was curious about what they would have done if they were guns. They would have called the sheriff, they said. :rolleyes: Californians!

Adventurer 2

The theft of my gear was a once in a blue moon kind of thing. I normally would have found someplace where I could have camped by my vehicle but I had taken a detour earlier in the day and had no idea where I could have gone in the area I was in. The next day I would be home. I had a Leupold sticker on the back camper shell (I don't think the sticker made me a target). I think camper shells in general make people targets during the holidays - when I replaced the broken glass there were two other people in Chux Trux getting their glass replaced because of break-ins. I had a truck full of gear and I think this made me a target. There were other vehicles broken into also. It took me two hours to load up my truck on the east coast before I headed home to Kansas. I was not going to unload everything and then load it all up again but I definitely would have brought in my firearms into the hotel. I did bring in my work computer and my electronics bag and a few other items but the majority of what I had was in the truck.
I've since had an alarm installed (with remote alert). I am going to build some type of security cage inside of the shell in order to prevent smash and grabs. If anyone knows of an existing product please let me know.

SuckLead

Someone suggested having an officer ask for the serial number. It may be a good idea. I know around where I live all the stores charge a fee for serial numbers and it is usually $30 or more. Unfortunetly, for most stores it isn't as easy as hitting a few buttons. They have to go through a massive amount of boxes to get to the right 4473 and find your info, and not all stores put them away by date of purchase but by the date the gun was entered into their books.