Stoeger Cougar vs. CZ 75D PCR

bigkrackers

My first and last 9mm was a Ruger P90. It was traded in on a SA 1911 in .45 ACP and at a time when one could shoot a .45 all day without breaking the bank. I’m looking for a 9mm, non poly, cc ability, hardy and reliable with a reasonably high capacity. I like to carry IWB and I do so now with a Taurus PT145. With that, I have two questions; does anyone carry either of these IWB or would you recommend a different carry position and are these two guns representative of the best options for compact, metal, 13+ capacity, cc/range, priced under $600 NIB?

Thanks in advance for you time commenting.

roachcore

I have the cougar in 40 s&w and couldn't love it more great pistol at a great price I sometimes carry it iwb and I'm not a big guy so it can be done but it is a little heavy

sent from my EVO using tapatalk

irish52084

I carry the PCR's big brother, SP-01, IWB and it's not bad with a good holster and belt. The PCR should be a breeze to carry IWB. I'd also say both are very good choices for your criteria.

Are you committed to the PCR? Have you looked at the P-01, basically the same as the pcr, but with a rail and night sights?

armoredman

The PCR is one of the best CCW pistols made, ever. Alloy frame, 14 round mag, loaded chamber indicator, Novak style low mount sights, decocker, accurate reliable and dependable. If I had gotten a PCR before my P-01, I might never have tried the P-01. I have the P-01 as my approved Off Duty per my Dept, too.

BTW, the P-01 does NOT come with factory night sights. Crimson Trace does make grips that will fit both the PCR and the P-01.

PCR3.jpg

I have to confess I did something similar to the above poster, and found a way to carry the larger CZ SP-01, the poly Phantom model in my case. Just because I can, and because it is wicked accurate, with an 18 round mag.Takes some extra effort, and I look like a slob. Been married for years - don't care.:D

Phantomonvest.jpg

I have carried a PCR and would do so again in a heart beat. Good holsters are out there - High Noon makes some very high quality rigs, such as this Down Under with straps holster pictured here - same one I am carrying my Phantom in as I type this;

PhantomandDownUnderbrightwhite.jpg

I don't know much about the Stoeger, except that it is supposed to be a very good pistol, the same gun that Beretta made on Beretta machining, IIRC. Beretta couldn't sell it at their high price, but kicking it down the corprate chain to Stoeger made it sell. I hear good things about it.

irish52084

Wait, the p-01 doesn't come with night sights standard? The SP-01 comes standard, at least on newer models, at least mine and a friends did.:confused:

Well, that sucks if it's the case. Oh well, you can always replace the sights. I wish more companies would give options as to what sights you want from the factory, instead of the typical 3 dot.

Pukindog12

Cougar

I carry a Stoeger Cougar 8000 F 9mm IWB positioned 3:30 to 4:30 with just a tank top and jean shorts. I carry in a knockoff Crossbreed Supertuck that works great. But you need a good holster, belt, and the right build to pull it off. If I had to wear a suit or a shirt I had to tuck in, no way. Then again, I don't ever go to places or functions that require I tuck a shirt in. :p

Be aware though the Cougar is a niche carry piece. It is heavy and thick, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Also, the slide mounted safety lever has a sharp point on it so if carried a holster with a full sweat shield would be advisable.

armoredman

No, irish, the P-01 comes with the glow-in-the-dark style sights, same as my Phantom, the only SP-01 that doesn't come with night sights. I'll get some later.

To the OP, try before you buy, if you can, shoot them both, and pick the one that fits you the best.

bigkrackers

@Irish - I don't care for rails on my carry guns. If I were using it for HD then that's a different story.

@armoredman - the CZ is not a problem to rent around here but the Cougar is another matter. I can't seem to find one even to hold which might just be the factor that makes up my mind. I've never bought a gun I haven't at least picked up and held.

labhound

I own the Cougar and have held the CZ PCR. The Cougar fits my hand better due to the grip being a little longer than the CZ. The CZ is smaller overall except the barrel is about 1/2 inch longer. The Cougar is a couple of ounces heavier. I think the CZ would be easier to conceal. I prefer the safety/decocker of the Cougar over the decocker of the CZ. The Cougar is an excellent gun, accurate, reliable and less expensive than the CZ. If the PCR is as good a gun as my CZ83 then you won't go wrong by buying the Cougar or the PCR.

Pilot

I've been carrying and shooting a PCR for over ten years. It is still my favorite over many others like my Sig P228. Its the best balance of accuracy, capacity, weight and size for me. It is also as accurate as my full size 75B for some reason. I have never had any kind of malfunction with the PCR.

Holster for Sig P228/P229 will often fit the PCR, although the PCR is a bit smaller and slimmer than the Sigs. I carry mine in a Bianchi Shadow II designed for the Sigs I mentioned. Holsters for the PCR are available too.

MLeake

I've only shot a Cougar once, and it was a Beretta, many years back. Nice gun, and I like the Beretta PX4 which evolved from it.

However, the standard Cougar is a bit heavier, which may or may not matter to you for CCW purposes.

The PCR is very easy to carry; I had one for a while. It was quite accurate, and easy to shoot. I bought it as I had a full-size CZ75B Omega at the time, and wanted something a bit lighter and smaller.

The problem I had with the PCR, though, was that its shorter grip curved forward just a bit too much at the bottom, just a bit too high up for comfort at my hand size, and the protruding floor-plate of the magazine would pinch my little finger. Over time, that got annoying, and I traded the PCR on a S&W 442, a SureFire LED light, and a holster.

If the PCR had fit my hand better, I'd probably still have it.

lcpiper

It would cost more, but you can mitigate that some by shopping carefully and working the auctions.

With that preface out of the way, I think the ultimate carry 9mm is probably the H&K P7M8 or P7M13. All you have to do is look at it and think of the simplicity of it's operation and clean compact lines. You know it's accurate and if you sacrifice anything for this one it's cash cause it really has no other detractors.

1287726079.jpg

Last edited:

Smaug

bigkrackers said:
My first and last 9mm was a Ruger P90.

Doubtful, as the P90 was chambered in .45 ACP. ;) Did you mean P89?

Another good carry option in 9mm: Walther PPS.

What's wrong with your Taurus? Just looking to upgrade?

bigkrackers

@smaug - It was a P89. The Taurus is great. Never had an issue with it. I can hit center mass at 25 yards with little practice. I want to shoot more but the .45 is just too expensive to do so regularly. The 9mm is a good round and cheaper to shoot.

bigkrackers

CZ Price Check

My LGS found a special order CZ 75D PCR for $469. It's special because it has blue grips instead of black and comes with three 14 round mags. His price for the normal one was $569. I don't think I should pass up the offer. Even if I dont like the gun for some reason I can trade it in and probably not lose any money on the deal.

irish52084

Buy it and buy it now. For sub $500, the PCR is an amazing deal. The blue grips might be the CZ aluminum grips, there about $75 from CZ and the extra mag is a nice bonus.