Stoeger Cougar 8000

Jonie45

I saw it at the store and it was easy to fieldstrip. It also comes with 4 (four!!) mags of 15rd and they have "Cal. 9 - made in Italy" so I guess those should do :rolleyes:

ThanKs!!

Stringfellow

I just posted some comments on a similar Cougar thread a few minutes ago: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4240420#post4240420 Bottom line: they are a tremendous value. For performance and overall pride of ownership, it is hard to match.

There are several quite ignorant posts regarding Beretta vs. Stoeger. It is the same pistol, same machinery, same parts, same engineers supposedly set up the operation, same instruction manual (however, different painting standards--see my post). It is not a clone or copy. Stoeger is a Beretta subsidiary--i.e., owned by and part of Beretta. This is in contrast with Beretta contracting with Taurus to build the 92 way back, and then Taurus purchasing the machinery after the contract ended.

The only 2 reasons to purchase the Beretta version are the better paint finish, and the pride of ownership coming from the Beretta roll-mark. If those reasons matter to you, you can buy a used Beretta and pay the few hundred dollars difference (unless you get really lucky).

CK Bigoldi

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just wanted to thank everybody that offered opinions in this thread. Summit Gun Broker has the Beretta Cougar 8040/2 mags and night sights for $315 right now. I've been researching these and this thread helped me make my decision. I ordered one today and will post a review in a few weeks. Thanks again.

GuateShooter

CK BIGOLDI
thanks for reply this thread, I have mine for a few days, I have to tell you its very great, to me its a good toy, you are going to enjoy yours!!

Sgt.Fathead

Had a nice Stoeger 8040 and shot it silly. Great platform, ease of controls was tops, great cycling, too. Taught many a newbie shooter the basics with it, too. Great gun for the price.

group17

Ozzieman,

"never liked the Beretta 92, the gun always felt nose heavy. When the Beretta Cougar came out the first one that I put in my hand went home with me.
Now 10+ years and +5000 rounds later I still like it, so much so that I went out several years ago and purchased a Beretta Cougar Carbine that takes the same magazine."

Are you talking about the PX4 carbine? Never heard of a "Beretta Cougar Carbine". If not a PX4 then I would love to see a photo.

WVfishguy

I think group17 is talking about the PX4. I came close to buying a PX4 to go with my Stoegar Cougar, which I really like. I may still buy it.
triplebike; You will not find a better deal than the 8000. It is a Beretta with Stoeger stamped on the side. The original Beretta Cougar sold for close to $700. The Stoeger is close to half the price
My thoughts exactly.

monadh

I have had one for about 3 years, maybe more. It is an excellent pistol, and one I carry at times when I don't want to carry my 1911. It is accurate, easy to shoot, and a favorite of my friends who do not shoot as much as I do.

I am planning on buying a second one, also in 9mm.