Stoeger Cougar 8000

AustinTX

The reports I've read have all been positive. It's a copy of the discontinued Beretta Cougar, and it's made under license from Beretta on Beretta tooling. I hear that the fit and finish isn't as good as on the Berettas, but that's to be expected in a gun at that price. It's said to be reliable and accurate.

It's probably one of the top values in a 9mm/.40 pistol.

Dave85

It is more than just a copy of the Beretta Cougar, it is the Beretta Cougar. Beretta owns Stoeger. When they discontinued manufacturing the Cougar in Italy, they transferred the tooling to Turkey, where production was resumed by their subsidiary, Stoeger. All reports I have read confirm that it is made to the same high standards as when it bore the Beretta name, and the ones I have seen do not contradict this. It is a great deal.

Distortion

Beretta owns Stoeger. They moved their Cougar manufacturing line to Stoeger (in Turkey) in order to get around the European Union export tariffs. In case you're not aware, Turkey is now about to become a member of the European Union. When that happens, the price of the Stoegar Cougar is likely to increase.

So, long story short: If you're interested in a Cougar, get it now when they're around $400 new.

dpetreikis

I've had one for about a year...

to be honest, I wasn't sure if I liked it at first. Took it to the range and had trouble grouping with it on my first trip. Went back to the range with it a month later, planning to give it one more shot and intended to trade it in if I didnt like it. Well, that was nearly 10 months ago and I still have it. So far, it's proven as accurate as anything else I own (once I got used to it) and 100% reliable with anything I've fed it. Decent size for carry, though not the easiest to conceal - not impossible, just not as light or small as some others for concealed carry. Quality seems to be on par with the original Cougar. Oddly enough, it fits perfectly in a holster made for my HK USP compact. Overall, I'd rate it a "Buy."

NWCP

It's a good gun for the money. I'd get one if I needed a solid pistol on a budget. As it is I have more toys than sense. My son is looking to replace his Walther P38 with a Cougar for home defense. I think it's a good move for anyone looking for a serviceable pistol at a reasonable price. The Turks know how to build guns and Beretta knows how to design a great pistol. A match made in heaven IMHO.

triplebike

You will not find a better deal than the 8000. It is a Beretta with Stoeger stamped on the side. The original Beretta Cougar sold for close to $700. The Stoeger is close to half the price (I paid $369 NIB)

I have close to 2300 rds fired without one malfunction of any kind. Absolutely flawless. Eats every bulk ammo brand available, doesn't care if it HP's or FMJ. Has no noticeable wear anywhere on the gun. Is extremely easy to field strip, clean & maintain.

Ships with two Beretta Mags. Replacement Beretta mags are $19.99

I have had both the Beretta & Stoeger side by side. Exactly the same handgun. Beretta's finish gets a A+, Stoeger A-. No other difference

There are tons of owner as well as magazine reviews on the web, you'll be hard pressed to find a negative review

macsr01

I own one of the original 8040's. I love this gun, picked it up in 2000 for $439 at a gun show, new in the box. If Stoeger is making them like the one I have then I'm getting at least one more in 9mm.

triplebike

Just look at it this way, Beretta makes a deal with Turkey to manufacture it's Cougar line there without all the red tape, permits & the like.

Beretta then takes the entire Italian Cougar Manufacturing facility & moves it in it's entirety to Turkey. It provides key Beretta supervisors to oversee the entire production process & hires Turkish workers at half the salary to produce the product. They can now manufacture it at about half the expense.

So you now get the Beretta designed Proven Cougar series, made on Beretta Machines, supervised by Beretta personal for half the price.

Those who did their homework & have researched & purchased any of the Cougar series handguns has spent their money very wisely. Probably one of the very best values available on the market today.

Last edited:

wbw

Here's mine with Beretta grips. They fit right on, since it's really a Beretta in disguise. I like mine and have had no trouble with it. It's a real bargain in my opinion.
Cougargrips001.jpg

jaydubya

Turkey is now about to become a member of the European Union.

Not very likely. The Turks have been in the waiting line for decades now. The European Union is having major digestive problems with its recent admissions, and is unlikely to admit any new countries very soon, if ever. Throw in Germany's heartburn with all its Turkish gastarbeiten and . . . hmm.

Back to the topic, the Beretta Storm uses the same twisty-turny action as the Cougar. I have fired the Storm in 9mm, and I liked its straight back recoil. Being all metal, the Cougar would be heavier than the Storm, but probably could be had for much less.

Cordially, Jack

Last edited:

brit3

If it was a Beretta, it would say Beretta on it. The only people that say it is the exact same as the Beretta, own the Cougar. I doubt if anyone is willing to trade the Beretta for the Cougar, even though "They are the same gun".
One of my .45's is a Norinco. It's cool though, because it's really a Colt and they forgot to put the pony on it. :D Berettas once were also Taurus (Tauri?) because they "moved" the machinery to Brazil. I don't know.

Ozzieman

I never liked the Beretta 92, the gun always felt nose heavy. When the Beretta Cougar came out the first one that I put in my hand went home with me.
Now 10+ years and +5000 rounds later I still like it, so much so that I went out several years ago and purchased a Beretta Cougar Carbine that takes the same magazine.
The only problem I had was the Clinton mag that came with the gun (10 max). Since then I have picked up a dozen of the newer 15 round mags.
I know we are talking about the Stoeger here, I fired a friend’s Stoeger 8000 about 6 months ago and I will agree with everyone else that says “It’s a Beretta”. The fit and finish was as good and the double action was actually smoother than mine.
And wbw, I hate those grips!!!
I would like them better on my Cougar, mine came with the black plastic.

wbw

Ozzieman, mine came with plastic grips also. I purchased these over the internet. Not expensive at all.

Bart Noir

wbw, are those wooden grip panels thicker than the plastic ones?

I have the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm and echo all the good things said above. And I got it for $329 plus WA state tax. Best deal on a new gun I have ever seen.

It does fit nice, balance nice, fits in a USP holster (OK it is a belt-slide holster so maybe this would not work too well with a full length holster.). Recoil is soft for the caliber. A fine pistol.

Bart Noir

wbw

Bart, the grips are essentially the same thickness. The fellow I bought them from measured for me and the difference was negligable. The wood is a few hairs thicker but not noticeable in my opinion. And did I mention that they were cheap!
BTW, you got a heck of a deal. I paid about $380 before tax at Bass Pro last December. Still a lot of bang for the buck.

triplebike

"I've been looking for a 9mm and I'm glad you guys are having this thread here. I think I'll get the gun then. It is about $399 at a local Academy Sport store."

Jonie45 Enjoy! The handgun is superb, for under $400 it's the best bargain currently available.

Fieldstrip & lube it (takes 10-15 minutes max) before firing the 1st rd. I ran mine a little on the "wet" side. It never failed ever, close to 2500 rds fired without a single problem.

CDNN has factory Beretta 15rd mags for 20 bucks.

After a hundred rds or so you know why everyone that owns one rates them so high