Steel casing for 9mm: yes or no

Would you buy steel case 9mm if it were 20% less than brass

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

44 AMP

Staff
ok, point by point,

Which tells us little, other than that you haven't owned a wide variety of semis.
:D

This is not an attack, its a "humorous observation" (note the :D)

Sorry if you didn't understand my humor.

I have ran steel cased ammo through every semi-auto handgun and rifle I've owned.

This is what you said. Since steel cased ammo is only made in a few calibers (military or former military ones, of various nations), then every semi auto handgun and rifle you own must be in one, or more, of those calibers. That, to me, is NOT a wide variety of semis.

the reasoning goes like this, you could own every variant of AK 47 by arsenal, maker, country of origin, what ever your criteria are, but they are all AKs. A large range of variation, but not a large variety.

I don't know why you put "OWN" in all caps.

I put "my OWN money" that way to distinguish it from institutional (taxpayer) money. Department issued guns, military issue guns are not personal property, are not treated like they were. A lot of people with the "its just a tool" mindset got it from that kind of background.

I had a firearms background before serving Uncle Sam, and while I understand, and actually agree with that attitude about their guns, in military use, I have a different one, about MINE, in my personal use. And, as I have been a high drag, low speed operator for several decades now, I've got no reason to change now. ;)

OK, maybe I am an ammo snob, I've got very little use for factory ammo, other than as a source for reloadable brass, (and of course, .22LR) so steel does nothing for me there. Neither does Berdan primed ammo.

Nor do I shoot the Blazer aluminum stuff.

The upside to steel cased ammo is lower cost. The downsides are numerous, and varied, and apply more to some situations than others.

You don't run a high performance car on the cheapest crap gas (because if you do, you don't get the same high performance), but you do save a couple bucks when you fill your tank.

Other side of the coin, if you've got an old truck that gets at best 12mpg (and gets the same mileage with the bed empty or full of rocks), then spending money for premium gas is a waste.

If it makes sense in your situation, go ahead. In mine, it doesn't.

Cheapshooter

I have very limited funds for firearms and ammo.

Does that translate to limited rounds fired? If so it's quite possible with a limited number of rounds fired your "tools" haven't shown the possible i
Bad effects of steel case ammo. Of course unless you don't shoot much at all, the first thing you would notice about steel is that it is very dirty. Leavig lots of nasty residue. With more shooting you might also notice stuck cases, and failure s to fire which are much more common with fheap steel ammo.

Scorch

Gosh, I hope you guys don't shoot steel cased ammo, for your sake.

For my sake, I hope you do, because I charge to remove stuck cases, and a lot of the stuck cases I see are steel cases.

hbhobby

Last Glock I bought I got a case of 10k rounds of steel cased ammo at the same time. Took it out of box and took second place at local competition with steel ammo. And have subsequently shot all 10k rounds with no misfire/ftf/stuck case etc. and I have yet to clean the gun. So either I got a miraculous piece of hardware or steel ain't as bad as some people think or the cleaning fairy gets the gun out of my shooting bag and cleans it while I am sleeping:)
I got the gun to use and abuse and kinda want to see just how much abuse the Glock can handle. I shoot about 500 to 1k rounds a week. Good times at the range. Plus with my bad back I don't have to bend over to pick up brass. Just sweep steel cases into trash:D

Mike38

Last Glock I bought I got a case of 10k rounds of steel cased ammo at the same time. Took it out of box and took second place at local competition with steel ammo.

I made Master in Combat Pistol using steel cased Wolf 9mm in a Beretta 92FS. Took two years but made it. I do not recall a failure of any type that could be blamed on the ammo.

Ibmikey

I have a steadfast rule, Shoot steel in my Combloc pistols that are designed for it, use brass for all others. However i purchased on a Brownells sale.. 300 rounds of Winchester forged 9mm only to find upon arrival it is steel cased. Shooting in a Remington R 51 i had four malfunctions in Approximately 200 rounds, changed to my High Power and shot the remainder without incident. I will be more ćareful with my online purchases in the future.
I Shoot brass it has so many more advantages and can find Blazer Brass for $10.99 everywhere.

Remington74

Although I go to the range every now and then, I don't shoot all that much to worry about the cost of steel vs. brass. When I was shooting a lot I bought factory brass ammo and reloaded it. The only steel I ever shot was some 7.62x39 in a Russian SKS that ate it up with no problems.

At this time Wal-Mart and Sportsman's Warehouse are my sources of ammo, (all brass by the way).

TXAZ

hbhobby scared the **** out of us when he said:
Last Glock I bought I got a case of 10k rounds of steel cased ammo at the same time. ...
I shoot about 500 to 1k rounds a week.

STEEL AMMO WITH A PLASTIC GUN????????

Musta been some kindof typo, according to some posts above.

:D :D :D

(That's 3 smilies for the humor impaired)

Seriously hb, thanks for the feedback.

jackstrawIII

Short Answer, Long Answer

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I prefer to buy remanufactured ammo. It's cheaper than new steel ammo and... is brass. It's all just range fodder anyways, so if I can get cheaper reman brass ammo, I'm sold.

Lohman446

You have me thinking on this subject.

Let's assume I go buy a new Glock 9MM for somewhere around the $600 range.

Let's make the assumption that a Glock firing steel cased ammunition will last 20K rounds.

If brass ammo is $10 a box ($0.20 per round) and steel cased is $8 a box ($0.16 per round) in 20K rounds I am going to save $800 - more than enough to buy a new Glock replacement.

I can see where one would but when I am searching for cheapest bidder ammo I don't normally see a 20% discount between the cheapest bidder brass and steel cases.

P5 Guy

I had a case of brass plated steel cased Sellier&Belloit. Also the regular Brown Bear.
All worked just fine, all of them were FMJ and only used for practice. If it was 20% less expensive than the average 124gr econo-brand and equal in performance I'd stock up.

GunXpatriot

I love being able to self-advertise, especially when I can perhaps help out the situation. Here's my video on steel-cased ammo. I don't know if the answer will be as clear in 9mm, as opposed to something like .223 or 7.62x39, but I still think it might be worth a watch. :)

https://youtu.be/1o7uUlVFevk

Last edited:

JDBerg

I shoot quite a bit of the Federal Champion Aluminum case ammo in 9mm and .45ACP through several on my guns, and I've never had a problem with it. I have shot several boxes of the Winchester USA Forged steelcased 9mm ammo, and other than the fact that it turns your fingers black when you handle it, I have had no problems with it. I have used TulAmmo steelcase .45ACP in my G-21 and I like it but I don't like the TulAmmo steelcased 9mm at all.

kenny53

I mostly shoot brass ammo, but have shot steel and will shoot steel in the future. I just don't think it is that big of a deal. To the brass purist God bless you, to the steel case shooters mover over and room for one more in the basket of deplorable's.

cc-hangfire

Yes. I'm in the camp with O4L - guns are machines. Worn parts can be replaced.

Everybody has their own reasons for owning a gun. One fellow I know had a SA revolver he owned as a collector piece, & he never cocked the hammer because that would cause a turn ring on the cylinder. Beautiful gun, & his choice in collecting.

I've chosen to own shooters, not really expensive, & I like to tinker on them so don't mind making repairs myself. Cheap ammo (I don't reload) is what I shoot at the range, & steel cased is usually cheapest.

Skans

I shoot cheap steel cased Wolf 9mm in my Sig X-Five. Works perfectly and is consistently accurate.

Boncrayon

Steel casings are good for one shot. If you reload, use brass casing for resizing after the expansion. Many indoor ranges do not allow steel or aluminum casings because of the brittle nature of the casing. Brass is best.