Steel casing for 9mm: yes or no

Would you buy steel case 9mm if it were 20% less than brass

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TXAZ

Simple poll. If you buy ammo, Will you use steel casing ammo V's brass, all other things being equal, for your 9mm handgun if there is at least a 20% lower price with steel.
Yes or no.

HistoryJunky

When I first get a new gun I'll usually by a box or two of steel case just to see if it'll make my gun choke or not. It's usually about the worst, most underpowered ammo out there. So I figure if it'll function with steel case, just about anything else should work.

Other than that, I reload so I generally don't shoot steel case.

b.thomas

Nope either brass or aluminum are fine but not steel. I've heard steel don't cause problems but why take a chance??:rolleyes:

Strafer Gott

20% won't cover the difference if you reload your brass. And your reloads can out perform cheap ammo without much effort on your part. Cheap ammo can lead to bad behaviors in good guns. Hardly a confidence booster. Charlie Bronson at the reloading press said it best-"Nothing's too good for our little friends."

lamarw

I am a reloader and do not buy steel or aluminum cased ammunition. So, 10% off retail of new ammunition is not a savings.

I also do not have a revolver that is chambered for 9mm.

O4L

I have ran steel cased ammo through every semi-auto handgun and rifle I've owned.

If it won't run steel I don't need it. Guns are tools to me and if it can't handle steel cased ammo, it's not a tool I want to own.

If I wear out a gun shooting steel through it, so be it. I'll replace it like any other tool I happen to wear out.

CajunBass

I have in the past. The first 1911 I bought, a Colt series 70, GM, I bought a couple of boxes of GI, steel case ammo. It was WWII surplus (that's how long ago it was), but worked fine. I've run steel case ammo in all my Com-Bloc guns.

Other than those, I've never seen much reason to. I started reloading almost as soon as I started shooting handguns, so I almost never buy any factory ammo, but I've always saved and scrounged any brass I could find.

springer99

If you don't reload, or have a need to re-sell the empty cases to someone who does, then yes, there's nothing wrong with shooting steel-cased ammo. It's nothing new; been around since the 1950's at least.

And no, contrary to internet rumor, it will not wear-out your gun any faster than shooting brass cased ammo. Steel-cased ammo tends to show up more often in budget-priced ammo that may shoot "dirtier" than premium ammo. If your gun malfunctions when shooting alot of steel-cased ammo, it's much more likely due to the fouling left behind than it is due to the steel casing.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
I have ran steel cased ammo through every semi-auto handgun and rifle I've owned.

Which tells us little, other than that you haven't owned a wide variety of semis.
:D

If it won't run steel I don't need it. Guns are tools to me and if it can't handle steel cased ammo, it's not a tool I want to own.

This is the other side of the attitude coin. Guns are just tools, use and abuse them, when worn out/broken, buy another. A valid opinion, of course, and the one most institutions use (military, etc.) but not my opinion.

I value my firearms, have spent my OWN money to acquire them, and won't abuse them unless its necessary for my survival. I also own a number of firearms that "won't handle steel" because there is no steel cased ammo MADE for them.

I think "if it won't handle steel, I don't want it" is a very limiting attitude, but its your choice. What do you do to cover .22LR? Do they even MAKE steel cased ammo for the .22LR??

Old Bill Dibble

But, to answer the question, I generally only run steel case in my milsurp firearms from former Com Bloc countries that were built for it.

Thats it. I don't own any milsup 9mm either.

I have seen steel stuff as cheap as $.16/ rd. For an extra dollar and half per hundred I may as well get good stuff.

lee n. field

Steel casing for 9mm: yes or no
Simple poll. If you buy ammo, Will you use steel casing ammo V's brass, all other things being equal, for your 9mm handgun if there is at least a 20% lower price with steel.
Yes or no.

Simple answer, "no".

Less simple answer "I prefer to spend a bit more for reloadable brass. And, in fact, at this point I shoot very little 'storebought' ammo. Can't afford it. I do, occasionally, buy and shoot a box worth of 9mm. Last box was some cheap steel case 9mm from Walmart."

Last edited:

MandolinMan

I shoot steel case 9mm all the time and I've never had a problem with it.

What makes the stuff so awful and detrimental to our pistols? I ask in all seriousness.

O4L

Which tells us little, other than that you haven't owned a wide variety of semis.
:D

This is the other side of the attitude coin. Guns are just tools, use and abuse them, when worn out/broken, buy another. A valid opinion, of course, and the one most institutions use (military, etc.) but not my opinion.

I value my firearms, have spent my OWN money to acquire them, and won't abuse them unless its necessary for my survival. I also own a number of firearms that "won't handle steel" because there is no steel cased ammo MADE for them.

I think "if it won't handle steel, I don't want it" is a very limiting attitude, but its your choice. What do you do to cover .22LR? Do they even MAKE steel cased ammo for the .22LR??
Why the attack? Did I hit a sore spot just because my opinion differs from yours?

I don't know why you put "OWN" in all caps. Whose money do you think I spend on firearms.

I have very limited funds for firearms and ammo. That's why I buy guns that are good tools not pieces of artwork that need pampering. Therefore, I have no hesitation when it comes to running steel cased dirty ammo.

I know there are many that are gun snobs and apparently ammo snobs, but I am not one of them. My guns are all shooters and my target ammo is cheap.

TXAZ

The post is focused on people who do buy ammo from retail or online. If you're a reloader only and / or otherwise don't buy brass or steel ammo a a completed cartridge, then it really doesn't make sense to answer the poll.
Thanks.

JWT

I will not shoot steel cased ammo under any circumstances. The range I usually shoot at will not allow steel ammo to be used in their facility.