Steel Case

Seven High

Is there some type of coating on steel case ammunition? I would guess that the manufacturer would do something to keep the steel cases from rusting.

totaldla

In my experience, the majority of cases where somebody had a stuck steel case, they simply needed to clean their chamber once in a while. And a light coat of oil in the chamber is not a bad thing.

Like others, I've shot a lot of the stuff in various calibers over the years and never had a problem. I don't like the stinky powder that Wolf uses in handguns though.

kenny53

I have steel 223 ammo in my stash. I use it when I go to the desert or TEOTWAWKI. My brass ammo is used at my favorite indoor range.

jimku

I have no idea if any of my semi-autos will handle steel cased ammo, because none of them will EVER see any of it. I avoid the stuff like the plague.

Reloadron

44AMP Mentions:
Some combatant nations went to steel cased ammo in a big way. The US didn't. There was one year, 1943, when the US produced a quantity of steel cased .45acp ammo. In 1944 we went back to brass. I think there was a reason for that, just as there was a reason we never made the "important" rifle and machine gun ammo (.30-06) with steel cases.

I give you 1943 pennies and 45 ACP steel. A zinc was was used to prevent rust.

1943%20Steel%20Cases.png

Ron :)

mr bolo

TULAMMO steel cased 7.62x54R sticks in my Russian M44 Mosin Nagant bolt action rifle

you have to give it a heavy hit to unlock the bolt during extraction

one time I had to use a rubber mallet to open my stuck bolt using steel cased ammo

never happens with brass cased ammo

darkgael

Interesting. I first purchased steel cased ammo when the Russians began exporting cheap .22LR labelled “Junior” to the USA. A case was less than $100. It was dirty but accurate. It did stick in some of my pistols. I still have a brick or two.
Since that time i have used steel cased 7.62X39, .30 Carbine, 9mm Makarov. Never had a case stick. Never any malfunction.

Hawg

I may have said it before but I use a good bit of Tula .45 ACP in my 1911 and never had a malfunction. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my AR or anything else.

JDBerg

If I had to choose between Winchester USA Forged steelcased 9mm and regular Win Whitebox 9mm, I’ll take the steelcased ammo.

TunnelRat

I've actually had pretty good luck with WWB lately. This was after stopping using it years ago because of bad experiences. These days I don't get to be as choosy.

sigarms228

I've actually had pretty good luck with WWB lately. This was after stopping using it years ago because of bad experiences. These days I don't get to be as choosy.
That is good too hear. I still have some 9MM and .45 WWB 100 packs that are 10-12 years old and that WWB always shot great for me reliability wise and accuracy wise.

JDBerg

sigarms228: said:
Well that is like choosing between a scrapple or head cheese sandwich.

I like scrapple, particularly Amish/Penna. Dutch style, just don’t ask how it’s made!

Groundhog34:
It would help if your title had included the ammo brand name.
Many of us know Exactly why you were Able to find that 9mm ammo.

It must be the "Forged" brand, and Forged was by Far the most unreliable ammo--except for fairly weak .22LR--I've ever put in a gun.

I've never seen any type of centerfire ammo so constantly weird and unreliable, whether handgun or rifle (and even shaky POF .303 'Brit.' was better).

You know 'MAC' on the Military Arms Channel? "Forged" caused the first issues in several of his quality 9mm handguns.

Forged makes the .40 S&W Tula brand (in my Sig P229) look like a premium product.

Rangerrich99

I had a bad experience with steel cased rifle ammo about 10 years ago and told myself I was never going to shoot steel case ever again.

Fast forward to 2013. Ammo was difficult to find for obvious reasons and I was a bit low of reloading materials for 9mm. So in a bit of desperation I bought a case of steel cased 9mm from Wolf (WPA Polyformance). Long story short, it ran flawlessly through all of my 9s, which included a S&W Shield, S&W M&P9 1.0, Glock 19, Ruger LC9S Pro.

To this point, I've run more than 10,000 rds of steel cased ammo through my various 9s, and still have yet to have a serious or consistent malfunction. The Shield has never malfunctioned firing steel, and neither has either of my M&P9s or the Glock. The LC9 has had 1, out of more than 1,000 rds fired, and hasn't had one in over 500 rds. The Ruger 1911 9mm has had three, but I'm pretty sure that at least two of those (if not all three) were related to the magazine (10-rd mag).

As for accuracy, at "defensive" distances, out to 15 yards let's say, I'm not seeing a significant difference in my guns. Just a year ago I split a playing card at 7 yards shooting steel cased ammo on my 2nd shot. in other words, I'm seeing steel cased bullets hit where I aim them, pretty much exactly like brass cased ones. At least through 10,000+ rds so far.

Anyway, after some experimentation, I decided to buy only steel cased ammo for my 9s, which made a little room in my budget to buy more projectiles for my reloading stash. So now I have plenty of lead for reloading 9 until this panic subsides, i still have plenty of steel-cased rounds to go thru before I have to start reloading, and I haven't had to collect any 9mm brass in a couple years. Win win win.