State finally did something to HELP the hunter.

FrankenMauser

Our DNR gets (makes) harvest statistics by counting deer on cars and in pickup beds from highway overpasses.

Yea, I forgot about that.
You'll see wardens sitting at 'choke points' on roads, quite often (counting animals they can see being hauled out), and asking hunters if they have harvested an animal (in camp, or during license checks).

All the data gets put into the DNR database, and cross referenced with the 'voluntary' reporting the state asks us to do.

Flapjack23

Same here in MI exept in CWD areas.

Our DNR gets (makes) harvest statistics by counting deer on cars and in pickup beds from highway overpasses.

I wish they would require a check or call in kill confirmation. We would have real statistics and probably decrease poaching some.

Andy

Wild Bill Bucks

Petezakilla,

Our doe day is the first day of the season, and I hunt the same stand all the time, so if I shoot a deer, and gut him where it lays, then I have to worry about predators on the gut pile while I hunt another deer. That is why the new check in procedure helps so much. I can get my deer to camp and be back in my stand in about 1/2 hour. This lets me spend more time hunting, and less time running all over the state getting all the paperwork done. It is also much easier to get the hide off while the animal is still warm and there are no gutting cuts while taking the hide off. Gutting is cleaner with the hide off, and you don't have to worry about getting hair on the meat as much. Of course this has to be done in a timely fashion so that the guts don't spoil the meat.

treefarmernc

"Petezakilla"
I didn't know that was done with deer. Why do you do that? I've never even moved the deer from where it fell without gutting it.

"Wild Bill Bucks"
It is also much easier to get the hide off while the animal is still warm and there are no gutting cuts while taking the hide off. Gutting is cleaner with the hide off, and you don't have to worry about getting hair on the meat as much. Of course this has to be done in a timely fashion so that the guts don't spoil the meat.

+1Wild Bill Bucks
I hunt here in NC and that is done regularly here also. Mainly where it is a short or easy drag to a pick-up point and the hunter has a skinning set-up back at home or club. Once the deer is hung up by the back legs, it makes an easer, cleaner, and (IMO) more sanitary removal of the entrails. A bucket or container is placed under the deer to catch the guts and the carcass can be washed down before the blood dries. Many have a pre-dug pit for the guts to be thrown and then covered with dirt. We also field dress when one or more of the above are not available. Temperature and time to skinning location are also factors. :)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
We don't have to report... some WMA's in florida may require it but not those around me...
Brent

Shell

why do that

Originally Posted by Wild Bill Bucks
I can skin the deer before I take the insides out.

I did that to the rabbit we took to keep the hide I was going to use from getting blood stains on it. It was also easier to take the hide of if the membrane around the guts is intact and there's less scraping to get the fat, meat, etc off the hide.

flyboy14

No check in in south dakota, shoot tag, take home cut up eat. simple. Had a couple of georgia hunters show me how to skin, and quarter without gutting. pretty slick, they said down south the heat, bugs, and leaving a gutpile in the area were a problem. I guess it depends on your situation, where I hunt not a problem, actually I dont want a gut pile in the garage. :D

James R. Burke

In Michigan you just put your tag on it, and your done. We have several great places to bring them, and they will weigh them for you. All you need to do is have them gutted, and inside cleaned out. They take care of skining etc. For your average cut, steaks, roast, porketta ( very special seasoning ), backstrap and tenderlions butterflyed for chops, andy steaks, things like bacon burger with the trimmings, Italian sausage bulk, and or links, breakfeast sausage with pork added etc. About 105.00 dollors. There is another place that does the summer sausage, jerky, snack sticks, and some regular cuts with it. Thats alittle more about 150.00 to 250.00 depending on how much you get of the summer sausage, jerky, and snack sticks. Once I had a whole deer done in summer sausage, jerky, and snack sticks. It was about 250.00 I believe. But if you think of all the work, pork added, cooking etc, and being ready to eat its not bad. I figure all the crap I spend money on for hunting it's not bad looking at it that way. The regular cut at about 105.00 even with the pork added, and some speciality cuts is a good price. There are pretty close around here, and most due a great job. We gut them right on the spot or move them off the area we are hunting then gut. Way to heavy to drag without doing it on the spot, and I dont want to deal with a gut pile somewher else. I can understand it if it's warm were you hunt or the deer are not to heavy, but it's alittle colder here and preditors take care of most of it pretty fast like one day or two.

Last edited:

T-Ray

Well here in Texas, you shoot your deer, field dress it, put your tag on it (from the hunting license), go eat dinner:D, and take it to the processor (or do it yourself). Not much hassle. Reading about the Oklahoma process makes me glad I live and hunt in Texas

wpcexpert

I didn't know that was done with deer. Why do you do that? I've never even moved the deer from where it fell without gutting it.

Not just about the hide comming off easy for me. I don't do it because I don't like messing up my hunting area. For those that hunt out of treestands and can kill multiple deer a year, a gut pile on a warm early hunt can ruin a stand for a few weeks. Especially early season SC. Even up in PA when I hunt with dad, we will tag it and then move it to a particular spot before field dressing it.

AR has a call in and an online check in. I utilized that option a couple times this year. Pretty slick.

bamaranger

Alabama

Alabama does not have a harvest recording system statewide. Any data they collect is from the WMA's, which are not a true reflection of the conditions on pvt. and leased land. Until recently, there was no tag/registration system either. Some regions of the state allow two deer a DAY on a 3 and 1/2 month season!!!

I have heard that some wildlife biologists visit the processing shops to collect heads/jawbones for aging.

Currently, in my region, the "limit" is 3 antlered bucks a season, w/ buck #3 required to be "3 to a side" or better. Unlimited doe season limit. Daily limit, two deer a day, only one buck. (ie, you can kill two does, or a buck and a doe, but NOT two bucks, daily)

All of this is a joke, as there is no check or tag system in place. Hunters are supposed to log their bucks on a portion of their license, but it is not forwarded anywhere!!!!!

I work closely w/ a lot of the DNR/Cons officers, , great guys all, but their system is a dud.

cnimrod

NY is nice

yeah takes 5 min to phone or log in. They have check stations set up on the main hiways opening wknd . I figure that gives them enough bio stats. I always wanted to know how big or old my deer was when i was younger. now i can guesstimate that myself.
Jersey stinks, you're required to check your deer in but the check stations are these little mom and pop stores out of the way, closed when you get there. esp if you shoot one late during permit season and it takes some time to get them out of the woods. You then have to phone it in and go back the next day! I'd argue they get a better number if they allowed you to check them like NY. I'm sure a few hunters don't bother taking them an hour out their way so the state can check their teeth.