Starting a revolver collection

BigJimP

No, but I don't blame you for asking .......its too pretty to part with / and it shoots way too well .. :D Its one of my all time favorite weapons ( its a 6" ).

You'll find one just like it ( maybe not the custom grips ) - they're cocobolo and I made them a few years ago when I had a lot of time on my hands and no sense ....but there are lots of folks out there making grips these days too ... it was way too much work .... / but I've got the original grips too - I just keep the fancy ones on it and shoot it that way.

Webleymkv

Perhaps another idea would be to collect S&W K-Frames. These can be found in .22 Long Rifle (M17 and 18) .38 Special (M10, 12, 14, and 15) .357 Magnum (M13, 19, 65, and 66) as well as a variety of other calibers such as .32 S&W Long and .32-20 with enough variations within models (barrel length, target trigger and hammer, round-butt vs. square butt, etc) to keep you busy forever.

nate45

Its alot of fun collecting S&Ws, we need HammerIt to come along and show off some of his. I have a modest collection, about 20, the newest one was made in 1980, but the ones I try to find are pristine ones from the 1950s.

attachment.php

K22 Masterpiece made in 1952

attachment.php

This is my best one,I think, S&W 6.5 inch .44 Magnum shipped in July,1956 which was very early in the first year of production.

k22-1.jpg

pre29-a.jpg

Last edited:

22-rimfire

The positive aspect currently with a collection is that any appreciation is not taxed as a gain unless you purchase the investments under a corporate entity. If it were, collecting guns other than for the joy of it would be a useless endeavor. As was said earlier, buying a gun new in 1980 for $300 and selling it for $600 today is not a gain. It is a loss. Very few guns are actually attractive investments and there is a huge downside just like art.

I will say that I like art. The problem is the stuff burns too easily and is expensive to ensure.

To make money with guns, you buy low and sell high. Repeat over and over again until one day you have a bit of money built up and you use it to build an addition onto your house because your wife found the wad tucked away in your safe. :) She would say and would be right, our home is a far better investiment overall.

Stainz

I went the other way. I've been retired for a while. I have replaced my bottom-feeders with revolvers - the brass stays nicer for my reloading. Ultimately, I found myself getting rid of my Rugers, too, for S&Ws. But - I bought new - and current models. I have one from '96, the remainder are '01 or newer. My rationale was spend my 'extra' income now, while I could, because the ever-increasing cost of living versus my never-increasing Teacher's Retirement would dictate less available funds in the future. Reloading has kept my ammo costs down - the cat food I buy is still for the cats.

Another plus - S&W makes some fine revolvers today - many models having never been available before. See my great buy from last spring - a 627 Pro:

IMG_0622.jpg

My latest buy - finally a 4" 617 10-shooter. You bet a 27 is neat - but a SS 8-shooter is neater - and easier to clean. The same with my 10-holer 617 vs a K-22. I guess my .454 Casull SRH days are long behind me now - and I am hedging for the future - insuring I can enjoy shooting no matter the political climate or future ammo cost. Yeah, I still have .45 Colt & ACP revolvers - and .44s, too. Sure, the revolvers will retain some worth - but, if I wanted a real edge up in the future, I'd have bought gold - and buried it.

Of course, there is the legacy - my final laugh, as my oldest son, heir to the firearms, hates revolvers! YMMV.

Stainz

PS Ramen noodles and Purina Cat Chow...