"Starter" 1911

wyobohunter

Hi, just want to see what you 1911 fans think about this. I have laways liked the looks and history of the 1911. I also like the .45 acp cartridge and think it may be have the ability to be reloaded hot enough and with the right bullet so it could be carried for bears (still not completely convinced). Anyhow, I do not want to start a "bear gun debate" here.

I have never owned a 1911 and am a little leary of dropping $1,000+ only to find out I don't really care for the platform. I have a friend who is moving; he is selling everything including a Llama .45 acp "1911 copy". The gun has one problem, the pin that locks the slide to the rear on an empty magazine needs to be replaced. I know that some 1911 parts will work in these guns and some will not, is this one that is interchangeable?

He is only asking $50, he was going to just give it to me but I felt I had to give him something. If it turns out I like the 1911 platform and it can handle heavy hard cast bullets driven at bear killing velocities I may just buy a nicer one, or even go nuts and drop part of my bonus on a semi custom job.

rsxr22

for $50 definitely get it. I own a Llama, they are not the best gun in the world or the worst. Mine has worked good with ball ammo and only work i needed done was a new extractor. I wouldnt buy it to use for HD or SD, but as a range gun, why not.

greyson97

RIA 1911 stock is $350.
Taurus 1911b is like 560-610

both are good starter pistols

then you can graduate up to the 2-4k 1911s

oh, and as for a llama, it shares the appearance of a 1911 but isnt a true 1911. so parts arent necessarily interchangeable.

my friends llama exploded at the range

kyle663

most internal parts on a llama 1911 will interchange. barrel and slide will not without a gunsmith. for 50 i would buy it. i dont think i would shoot HOT bear loads out of it as llama's quality control was spotty at best. that being said i have had zero prpblems with mine useing commercial ammo. if you really want a good starter 1911 that you can upgrade I would go with the rock island 1911.

howwie

RIA tactical is the way to go if you don't want to spend a fortune and still have a nice gun. I just got my 3" barrel RIA tactical and love it. As far as a $50 dollar pistol, go for it! 1911 is not for everyone but I am loving mine. (slightly heavy though) I'll get a nicer 1911 down the road when I can afford it but I probably won't sell this RIA, it's a gun I don't mind tramping through the woods in.

Rammed

No way can you fix it. Have him send it to me and I will dispose of it.:D

Kidding aside, I would think an after market part will work. Llama also makes the FireStorm. Google Llama or Firestorm parts and you should be able to get a replacement.

BigJimP

I'd be a little nervous about the Llama - and I don't know if you can get parts for it or not ......

but to your issue - you can certainly go to a range that rents guns / and shoot a variety of 1911's ( in 9mm, .45 acp or whatever caliber they have ) and make your decision on whether you like the 1911 platform.

A lot of guys at ranges - may let you put a few rounds thru their 1911's - if you bs with them a little / ask them about their guns, why they bought, etc / and tell them you're considering a 1911 .... lots of ways to get some exposure to 1911's without spending $1,000 - let alone $ 3 K on a custom 1911.

azredhawk44

Springer Mil-Spec or Colt 1991 as a starter for a project gun. Especially if you're talking about .45acp+p, .45 Super, .460 Rowland or other 1911 quasi-magnum wildcats.

Don't try it with the Llama. Aside from what I would imagine to be a gunsmithing nightmare, it's cast and not forged. You'll beat the frame to death.

Enjoy it as a $50 .45acp gun.

As for loading for bear... sure, for black bear. Get some good hardcast .452 diameter 230gr bullets. As long as you can hit the right place on a sub-400 pound animal, it should do the desired task.

Hank15

Try shooting a good 1911 first. If you like the platform, $50 is a good deal for a 1911 (if you're just going to use it as a plinker). If not, spend your money elsewhere.

By the way, you don't have to spend $2000+ for a semi customized 1911. Many 1911s now come standard with features that people add when they are starting to customize. i.e. beaver tail, skeleton hammer, fixed sights/adjustable sights, etc.

In fact, I am actually trying to figure out how to customize my 1911..

KyJim

For $50 I would certainly buy it. It sounds like you think the magazine catch needs replacing. Numrich Gun Parts carries parts for many older guns. For example, they have a magazine catch for the IXA model here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=125820A

This may or may not be the part you need or your model number. I'm just pointing this out. You can search further on the Numrich website.

Jack First Gunshop is another place to find these kinds of parts: http://www.jackfirstgun.com/index.php

AZAK

Last time that I was in your neck of the woods was just for the halibut. (Bad pun, but true and I just could not resist!)

A good 1911 can withstand higher pressure loads. Colt Delta Elite in 10mm for example. I personally would not consider a llama with at least one problem as a candidate for being a "good 1911" to build on or experiment with higher pressure loads.

I know of one factual account where someone defended against black bear with FMJ out of a 1911 in .45 auto. Can be done. Not my first choice.

For $50 and your friend wanting you to have it, I would say thanks! Then I would use it for paper punching once it had a clean bill of health/no mechanical problems.

For you "bear" project, consider a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. You will get better ballistics and a 1911 built for it. However, if you want to load a .45 auto for "bear" at least consider a good forged frame 1911 set up; Colt, Springfield, etc...

Kreyzhorse

I'm no fan of Llama, but for $50, it might be hard to pass up assuming you know the history and reliability of the gun.

As far as entry level 1911s go, if I really wanted a 1911, I'd look hard at a Springfield GI or Springfield Mil-Spec. If you go ahead and buy a Springfield, you might end up saving yourself money in the long run.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
$50 bucks sounds like a bargain, for the Llama. Grant it, it would not be my
first choice for a "starter" 1911 (Springfield G.I. model); but for $50 bucks,
I don't see how you can go wrong. You will find that Llama in general are
a "hit or miss" type firearm. In other words, if you get a good one that
works reliably with even 230 grain ball ammo; then you have a good one.
The feeding of JHP type ammo, can be a problem in these semi-auto's.

finfanatic

You should have jumped on it....

For $50?

You should have jumped on it like a hungry wolf on a wounded caribou!

At least IMHO.

I got a pretty good deal on KelTec PF9, and although I really did not want the KelTec, it is more than worth what I paid for it.

Quentin2

Back in the mid-70s I had a friend with a Llama 45ACP and another with a full size Star 45. I had my Colt Series 70 and an Argentine Ballester Molina that I also picked up for about $45-50. The Argy wasn't reliable at first but after I put a GI recoil spring in then it worked great. It also could use GI magazines but the Star could not. Can't remember if the Llama could but it did look more compatible to the Colt than the Star or Argy. All of them were nice 45s.

$50 today for a working 45 is amazing. If you can't find a slide holdopen you might get one fabricated.

orionengnr

$50???
Grab it and don't look back. See if you like the function and the manual of arms.

Do not try to load it up hot. Shoot it, enjoy it, if you like it spend more money on a better-quality 1911. Let the addiction begin :)