Stars And Stripes Article

BlueTrain

Maybe they should be trying to kill all they can. That's ultimately the way you win wars, with surgical precision, which is to say in a very bloody way. This hearts and minds only starts to work when you get rid of the troublemakers and leaders, if you care to call them that. That's how the other side works. They attempt to kill anyone and everyone that has anything to do with the other side. Government by assasination and intimidation and an unpleasant fact.

The original AR-15 was chambered for the .222. The customers wanted more range, so the .223 was developed. Big difference, huh? I'm not saying the logic is there or that they couldn't have done better as far as the cartridge goes but it isn't a bad rifle for what most soldiers will use it for (of those that use it at all). I guess you could argue about the M4 variation if you want. The interesting thing is that the other guys use something designed before 1950, though it too has undergone many, many variations, though it still remains pretty much the same as introduced, just like the M16.

And does anybody every actually use that bolt assist thingy?

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
And does anybody every actually use that bolt assist thingy?
Not often but often enough to really learn to hate the need for it. It meant it was time to find a hidey hole, take the gun down and do some serious cleaning. Thats why I carried LSA in my pocket and kept the action wet. Don't know about today's new and improved gee whizz guns but back in the 70's you did what you had to do.

Our military has for too long used its infantry like Cavalry in the sense that they use them to fix the enemy while artillery and air power destroys them.

This is no longer practical in todays wars as whether we like it or not we must worry about collateral damage and kill fewer civilians than the Taliban does.

This means that instead of heavy artillery, a10 strikes or predator strikes our infantry will need to depend on long range precision rifles and other light support weapons. A well placed sniper bullet can take out the bad guy just as easily as a predator strike but will leave the human shields unhurt for the most part.

In urban combat a carbine in 308 caliber would be practical in the sense you could bust through walls much easier to get at the targets behind. Also in close quarters the psychological and terminal effects are impressive although the guns obviously not quite as wieldy.

Times are different anyways. Instead of lightly built and lightly protected jungle fighters from vietnam we are dealing with fighters that are increasingly wearing more effective body armor and more long range rifles. There are quite a few dragunovs and mosin nagants in the hands of insurgents these days. They are rugged and tough individuals. Most have a strong set of lungs.

Also dont underestimate and downplay the shooting skills of the Taliban, Hezbollah and Al Queda insurgents. Some of them are very good shots considering the obsolete equipment they use at times.

The only standard issue caliber we have ever had that would compare to the Russian 54r is the 30-06.