starline brass

That matches my experience. Starline has about half the weight standard deviation of Remchester. They fall down in comparison to Lapua and Norma rifle brass in terms of neck and body wall runout by about 2:1, but that's the only flaw with the potential for a measurable increase in group size, but how much depends on bullet choices. On the plus side, as compared to Remchester and LC and other military brass, Starline flash holes don't have burrs. I bought 1000 of their 308 Win cases last year, and they don't show any burrs at all. That has meant better ignition consistency with some ball powers (2520, for example). They behave like 70:30 brass, which is best for reloading life, IME. With 44 Mag and other pistol brass (I"ve got another 1000 of their 45 Auto cases I am about to start using), I can't find any measurable accuracy drawbacks, and their reloading life cannot be surpassed except, perhaps, by ADG, which costs more. So I am pretty well married to them for revolver and pistol brass of all chamberings, and if you turn rifle case neck walls to uniform thickness, you've pretty much got them zeroed.

Overall, a good value.

Marco Califo

The tricks to ordering direct from Starline.com is 1. Check availability weekly. 2. Place backorders, as soon possible. Dont wait for "In stock". They ship in 3-10 days in my experience. When I ordered two cartridges on one order, they shipped on different days. Buying direct is always free shipping from Starline.

rodfac

Starline is good brass in the handgun calibers I've ordered: .380, .357, .40 S&W, .41 Mag, .44 Spl & Mag. For uniformity I prefer to all others for my plinking, informal target shooting and hunting purposes. I do not participate in any of the gun games currently in vogue, nor do I do any competitive bench rest shooting.

That said, I've run across a cpl batches of .357 Mag that varied in length & required minimal trimming to obtain uniform crimps.

I've not ordered any rifle caliber brass from Starline aside from .32-20 for an aged Winchester model 92. I also use it for reforming to .25-20 for another antique Winchester. In the lots I've ordered, I found it to be noticeably thicker than R-P or Winchester offerings. This is a decidedly positive characteristic, since .32-20 is notorious for buckling case necks when attempting to crimp.

HTH's, Rod

ackley man

Starline .38 Special brass is notoriously short of published TTL by 6 to 7 grand. There is no reason for straight wall brass to be made short of TTL. Their wall thickness is the best of the best and they are sized dead nuts on. Their 45 acp brass seems to be consistently made to published TTL with the same excellent wall thickness tolerances.

44 AMP

Staff
I am unfamiliar with the term "TTL", could you please explain?

I can guess T and L as total and length but no idea if that's right or what the other T stands for.

I use Starline .44AMP brass, and .45 Win Mag. Great stuff! They don't always have it, but they have run batches when no one else had it, and I bought several hundred when it was available.

I don't use it in other calibers as a rule, but if I wind up with it, I use it, and have always found it to be as good as anything regular and better than some.

Nick_C_S

Starline .38 Special brass is notoriously short of published TTL by 6 to 7 grand. There is no reason for straight wall brass to be made short of TTL.

I've had no problem with Starline's 38 Special brass. Maybe that's because I don't know what "TTL" is :p.

In 38 Special, I have purchased 2000 standard 38 Special cases, 1000 nickel plated standard cases, and 1000 nickel +P cases from Starline. I bought all these about 8 or 9 years ago. Fast forward 10's of thousands of rounds later; and I have yet to see any problem with them. Hmm.

I don't trim 38 Special cases, just for the record.

Edit: Since the answer of "Trim to Length" was post #26, I had failed to turn the page to see it. Well, whatever their TTL is, it must be consistent, because I've had no problem with them and consistent crimps.

44 AMP

Staff
Thank you for explaining what TTL is. I've been aware of it since I began loading, but never saw it expressed that way until now.

Trim to Length is a recommendation, a few thousandths below max case length, so cases won't need to be trimmed after every load cycle, and a point one can use for uniformity if you choose.

Lyman recommends 0.01" for most rifle cases and about half that for most pistol cases, but there are exceptions. I have many manuals from others where it isn't even mentioned.

603Country

My 6.5 Grendel brass is Starline. Loads like everybody else’s brass and seems to have good case life. That said, at first I was having some case neck splits on the second use. The FL die I was using was overworking the brass, as Imhad finally decided. So I got a new die, a bushing die, to work the brass less, and then I took some Starline and some Lapua and decided I’d reload them until some of them started to fail. Well, before they failed (which they never did) I was burning more powder and bullets than I wanted to, so I quit prior to failure. The Starline lasted as well and looks as good as the Lapua. I didn’t anneal any of it. So, I solved the case neck split problem and gained confidence in the Starline.

The Grendel shoots great with the Starline.

I have a supply of Lapua cases for the Grendel, but it might be a long time before I’ll want to use them.

zeke

Have never used their rifle cases and the only problem have ever had with their pistol brass was 44 mag. In the batch received, the cases were on the shorter side and could be loaded into a 696 cylinder (maybe chamber on longer side). However this was some time ago.

Am appreciative they make pistol/rifle cases that hard to find anywhere else. And at a decent price when ordering direct.

Nick_C_S

the only problem have ever had with their pistol brass was 44 mag. In the batch received, the cases were on the shorter side

Two days ago, I just so happened to receive 500 pcs of 44 Mag brass from Starline.

I did a quick check of about 30 pcs and the peak of the bell curve was 1.272" to 1.274." That is shorter than I would expect (SAAMI being 1.285" max). Longest was 1.277." The shortest was 1.266" - but that was an outlier.

My TTL is 1.274" and I don't trim unless it's >1.278." So these are gtg.

jetinteriorguy

Anytime I get the urge to add a caliber to my reloading bench, I first check to see if Starline makes brass for it. If they don’t make it I don’t add it to the collection.

Grey_Lion

Between moving to a different state and a few health challenges, I've been out of pocket for too long. A question for the peanut gallery - Looking at Lapua and Norma, they do not appear to make pistol calibers. Are there alternatives to Starline brass for .40 S&W in the reloading brass manufacturer's gallery?

GlenF

alternatives to Starline

My wife, the purchasing agent for our home has recently ordered 2000
40S&w cases from X-treme.

We have bought and fired thousands of 9 and 40 bullets from X-treme in
the past, but this will be our first experience with their brass.

These cases are manufactured by them.

It should take a while to lose that many.