Starbucks should say "Yes" to Brady Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycleguru

Wow! This blows me away. I've always thought Starbucks was the designated gathering spot for every liberal loony anti-gunner tree-hugging goofball in the county. If I ever decide to pay 5 bucks for a cup of coffee I'm going there.:)

Guy B. Meredith

cycleguru, Starbuck's prices are well under $5. Consider it a contribution to supporting firearms folks and trashing Brady.

I prefer in order mom and pop (found some real jewels), Keans, Peets, Starbucks. Keans is 400 miles away, mom and pops are where they are leaving Peets and Starbucks for the casual purchase. I will purchase Starbuck's due to their policy.

KenpoTex

I've never been a steady Starbucks customer because I don't like paying their price for a cup of black coffee (I don't use all the additives so McDonalds or the gas-station is good enough for me :D).

However, after hearing about this, I'll start buying the occasional cup as a gesture of my support.

troy_mclure

Ive actually had gun conversations with one of the local starbucks guys.

A group of hunters was in there and he stated that he wished he could go with them.

We got to talking about local shooting areas. none of the other baristas/customers seemed to mind.

alan

In my opinion, for whatever that might be worth, Starbucks should politely advise The Brady Group to "stuff it".

My post at the Facebook page:

Christopher J Hoffman

I am lucky enough to live in one of the many states which allow law abiding citizens to openly carry a loaded handgun, and which issues a concealed carry permit to anyone who passes the rigorous background check and the safety course.

States like Nevada, AZ, Montana, Vermont, Texas, Utah, Pennsylvania, and many, many others represent the majority of states in this country that empower and support law abiding citizen's second amendment rights.

In all, 37 states must issue concealed carry permits to those not disqualified from having a weapon. 47 states have some form of carry provision in their laws.

The safety record of armed citizens in these states has been exemplary. If we could magically superimpose the crime rate of concealed permit holders onto the rest of the country, we'd think we were in Switzerland, where the violent crime rate is at near-zero, and every nearly every household has a government-issued machine gun.

So, for the Brady Campaign to try to represent that law abiding citizens carrying holstered guns into Starbucks represents some sort of public safety risk, is laughable on it's face, and completely disingenuous.

How dare the Brady campaign try to tell me where I can and cannot be prepared to defend my family from criminal attack. But, then, that's what they do.

Thanks, Starbucks for remaining vigilantly NEUTRAL on this issue. You do business in many, many regions with a variety of customs and laws. Starbucks is wise and rare among corporations for it's common sense backbone on this issue.

And, you make a helluva cup.

Sincerely,
No longer a Peet's Customer

apr1775

A number of large chain business have followed a policy which is very smart from a business point of view: follow whatever laws apply where the store is located. That way the business can stay neutral and if someone doesn't like it, they can work to change the laws there.

Silver Bullet

More on this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587641,00.html?test=latestnews

Buzz and Bullets: Gun Fans Cheer Starbucks
Monday, March 01, 2010

Dale Welch recently walked into a Starbucks in Virginia, handgun strapped to his waist, and ordered a banana Frappuccino with a cinnamon bun. He says the firearm drew a double-take from at least one customer, but not a peep from the baristas.

Welch's foray into the coffeehouse was part of an effort by some gun owners to exercise and advertise their rights in states that allow people to openly carry firearms.

Even in some "open carry" states, businesses are allowed to ban guns in their stores. And some have, creating political confrontations with gun owners. But Starbucks, the largest chain targeted, has refused to take the bait, saying in a statement this month that it follows state and local laws and has its own safety measures in its stores.

"Starbucks is a special target because it's from the hippie West Coast, and a lot of dedicated consumers who pay $4 for coffee have expectations that Starbucks would ban guns. And here they aren't," said John Bruce, a political science professor at the University of Mississippi who is an expert in gun policy.

Welch, a 71-year-old retired property manager who lives in Richmond, Va., doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't bear arms while he gets caffeinated.

"I don't know of anybody who would provide me with defense other than myself, so I routinely as a way of life carry a weapon — and that extends to my coffee shops," he said.

The fight for retailers heated up in early January when gun enthusiasts in northern California began walking into Starbucks and other businesses to test state laws that allow gun owners to carry weapons openly in public places. As it spread to other states, gun control groups quickly complained about the parade of firearms in local stores.

Some were spontaneous, with just one or two gun owners walking into a store. Others were organized parades of dozens of gun owners walking into restaurants with their firearms proudly at their sides.

In one case, about 100 activists bearing arms had planned to go to a California Pizza Kitchen in Walnut Creek, Calif., but after it became clear they weren't welcome they went to another restaurant. That chain and Peet's Coffee & Tea are among the businesses that have banned customers with guns.

Just as shops can deny service to barefoot customers, restaurants and stores in some states can declare their premises gun-free zones.

The advocacy group OpenCarry.org, a leading group encouraging the demonstrations, applauded Starbucks in a statement for "deciding not to discriminate against lawful gun carriers."

"Starbucks is seen as a responsible corporation and they're seen as a very progressive corporation, and this policy is very much in keeping with that," said John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org. "If you're going to support individual rights, you have to support them all. I applaud them, and I've gone out of my way personally to let every manager of every Starbucks I pass know that."

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has responded by circulating a petition that soon attracted 26,000 signatures demanding that Starbucks "offer espresso shots, not gunshots" and declare its coffeehouses "gun-free zones."

Gun control advocates hope the coffeehouse firearms displays end up aggravating more people than they inspire.

"If you want to dress up and go out and make a little political theater by frightening children in the local Starbucks, if that's what you want to spend your energy on, go right ahead," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady campaign. "But going out and wearing a gun on your belt to show the world you're allowed to is a little juvenile."

The coffeehouse debate has been particularly poignant for gun-control advocates in Washington state, where four uniformed police officers were shot and killed while working on their laptops at a suburban coffeehouse. The shooter later died in a gun battle with police.

Ralph Fascitelli of Washington Ceasefire, an advocacy group that seeks to reduce gun violence, said allowing guns in coffeehouses robs residents of "societal sanctuaries."

"People go to Starbucks for an escape, just so they can get peace," Fascitelli said. "But people walk in with open-carry guns and it destroys the tranquility."

Gun control advocates have been on the defensive. Their opponents have trumpeted fears that gun rights would erode under a Democrat-led White House and Congress, but President Barack Obama and his top allies have largely been silent on issues such as reviving an assault weapons ban or strengthening background checks at gun shows.

Gun rights groups are looking to build on a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban, and cheered legislation that took effect Monday allowing licensed gun owners to bring firearms into national parks. Obama signed that legislation as part of a broader bill.

Legislators in Montana and Tennessee, meanwhile, have passed measures seeking to exempt guns made and kept in-state from national gun control laws. And state lawmakers elsewhere are considering legislation that would give residents more leeway to carry concealed weapons without permits.

Observers say the gun rights movement is using the Starbucks campaign to add momentum and energize its supporters.

"They're trying to change the culture with this broader notion of gun rights," said Clyde Wilcox, a Georgetown University government professor who has written a book on the politics of gun control. "I think they are pressing the notion that they've got a rout going, so why not just get what they can while they're ahead?"

Buzzcook

"Starbucks is a special target because it's from the hippie West Coast,"

Speaking as a hippie West coaster that shopped at the first Starbucks in Pike Place Market; we generally stopped shopping at Starbucks when it went national.
The growth in that chain is driven by suburbanites across the country. That means Starbucks customers tend to be soccer moms and white collar dads.

In other words your standing up to centrists not leftists.

Buzzcook

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a leftist corporation.
Corporations respond only to the dollar or force.
Starbucks like any corporation will decide based on the bottom line.

googabeest

Looks like Starbucks is staying neutral. Wise choice I'd say.

Starbucks asks not to be center of gun debate

SEATTLE (AP) - Coffee chain Starbucks Corp. is sticking to its policy of letting customers carry guns where it's legal and said it does not want to be put in the middle of a larger gun-control debate.

The company's statement, issued Wednesday, stems from recent campaign by some gun owners, who have walked into Starbucks and other businesses to test state laws that allow gun owners to carry weapons openly in public places. Gun control advocates have protested.

continued -

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9E7DR9O1&show_article=1

Rembrandt

The business of any business is making a PROFIT......not taking sides on political sensitive issues.

Ben & Jerry's is a good example of using your business profile to advance a political agenda. The Dixie Chicks are another example.....while we like to see support where ever we can get it, business's should stay neutral especially if they are publicly offered. Billions are spent to create a corporate image over time. To risk damaged name recognition over the political leanings of some management dweeb is dumb business. Taking sides alienates about half your targeted market.

Buzzcook

Rembrandt, in what way is Ben and Jerry's loosing money because they use the hippie angle to sell ice cream?

I'd also like to point out that the Dixie Chicks are not a corporation.
When are people going to let that one go?

Status
Not open for further replies.