Sringfield 1911 sharp edges...

the_Rebel

Not to provide fuel for the fire, but I just bought my son a SA Loaded. My daughter came over specifically to see it and handed it back to me after about 30 secs. She had sliced her thumb on the slide safety. I couldn't find the place that was sharp enough to slice (and she couldn't find it again either) but it did have me concerned.

Now on the other hand my bro in law bought a new Kimber CDP and showed up to Front Sight with it. The guys there called it the "used bar of soap" gun. It does look kinda funny, but it didn't make anyone bleed...well there was that one finger caught in the slide during an unload...does that count?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Now, I never said the Springfield 1911A1 "Loaded" model was perfection...
Perfection (to me) is Springfields TRP model.
I owned one that I got on a killer deal I couldnt pass up.
The gun was FINE. I had Ashley Express sights on it... Perfection... Just Perfection.
Then I screwed it up BADLY.
I had the BOBTAIL modification done to it.

The gun no longer "FIT" my hand.
It was RUINED.

Before the the Bobtail... *sigh* Lovely...

The Loaded Model 1911A1 is a WORKING GUN.
I got some spendy grips on it... To dress it up nice...
Other than that - its Bone Stock. I am not worried if I shoot it too much - or rough it up... Its not a 1,800 dollar pistol - its 550. Its stainless and scratches can be buffed out or sanded out... I dont have to worry.
It works EVERY TIME. Its reliable and accurate enough for a true working gun. I dont have to worry about it.
THATS what makes it so good.

gunhound - It not against policy to disagree with Staff... In fact I usually get more disagreements than anything.
Just ask Rikwriter... I've never banned anyone for that.
Oh - there was that one guy... My Bad. ;)

jimbrassell

Well, I agree with Geo. Hill. I've got four SA loaded guns:
a Compact, a Champion, and two full size 1911A1's. I carry one of them every day. Mostly the Compact. I've shot all of them a bunch. Too sharp? Don't think so. I've shot most all 1911 variants, including all the Colts. For my money (and my life), think I'll stick with the SA's. By the way, get a Kimber, be prepared for a cracked slide, sooner than later.

Shooter 2.5

Sorry Mr. Hill but you're completely wrong on the subject of sharp edges on a particular Springfield Armory .45. My son's pistol could act like a cheese grater. The edges on the slide were so sharp that pulling the slide even 3 or 4 times became painful. My Ultra-Compact was just a little less so, however I did knock off some of the edges after owning it a couple of months. The serrasions on my son's pistol were so sharp that it looked like they had cut the grooves and then left it in that condition. When our pistols were inspected the first day of Col. Cooper's class they asked us if we needed any deburring on our pistols. My son never said a word as the Colonel's next door neighbor[Col. Bob] racked the slide. I couldn't keep a straight face and started laughing out loud. All Colonel Bob could do was stare at my son and shake his head. It served him right for insulting my poor piece of junk that I brought. I think he hurt my pistol's feelings. LOL. Lastly, I'm retiring in a little while after about 21 years as a Machinist so I do know my way around a Bridgeport and I do know about sharp edges.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Then why didn't you deburr it if your son was so bothered by it?

Not flaming or criticical... but Please people...
If the edges are too sharp... a strip of emory paper and a few minutes of your time will break those edges. Use the shoe polishing technique and strope those edges of the slide down. If its the cocking serations that are two sharp... you can use an emory board or a popcicle stick and wrap a bit of sandpaper around it. You dont have to do a lot of work to break that sharp edge.
Bing Bang Boom... no more sharp edges.
If you feel less than skilled - 30 or 40 bucks and a Smith will have it dehorned just dandy.
And you've still saved money over several other options.

gunhound

Thnaks GH, and all those who responded- I will try an emory board first, very sparingly. Despite the serrations, it is magnificent hardware in my opinion. I enjoyed performing maintenance on 60+ US Army 1911's back in the day, but I must say I am already attached to this modernized form of an original piece of art. I guess I need to take it out for a test drive and put it through the paces. Keep ya informed- Gunhound

Shooter 2.5

George Hill-I didn't dehorn my son's pistol because he didn't ask me to. It was my son's pistol and it was his responsibility to handle the situation as he saw fit. His solution was to give it to Gunsmoke and have them work on it after the class. The only reason I did mine was because I was tired of losing skin. The edges on the slide were the same as the edge of a shear blade,The situation where you could run your fingernail over the edge and shave some off. Now here seems to be the difference. My son has just pointed out to me that the serrations on the 1911a1's are the standard angled cuts and the serrations on the customs are the large squared cuts and like you I have never had a problem with the GI slides.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Both right!!!

I have seen those with sharp edges and with normal squared edges. So one person could be in Band-aid country, while another sees nothing wrong. It appears to be a lack of consistency and quality control by Springfield, an area addressed in the past on other facets of their guns.

Jim