SR1911 Experience

hickok45

Sorry, I don't shoot paper much. I mentioned many times that it was shooting low for the way I sight. Shooting paper would be a quick method for putting people to sleep, including myself! :)

As well, I'm never that interested in results from benchresting, so I guess I assume others are not either, especially if I can show some "practical accuracy," from a standing position. Virtually any handgun is going to be plenty accurate for practical applications, as I cover in my "accuracy" video. Others might disagree.

I'll let the magazine article writers do all that stuff and convince us it's real. I'd rather just shoot and show. :)

Duckkkkk

I went to the range today to shoot my Sig and Bersa. Next to me I had a couple of guys sharing a lane and taking turns shooting a couple of guns. I had glanced over and seen a Ruger box. For a moment I thought I was in luck, one guy was shooting a 1911.

Not to be....lol

On a side note. Both guns a (Sig 2022 and a Bersa UC40) performed flawlessly once again, I shot range reload ammo for the first time without a hiccup. The Bersa has about 750 rounds through it now without choking on a one, except both feeder platforms in the mags have now broke, so the slide won't stay open after the last round. Ordered 3 today at 3 bucks per.

The Sig has about 250 through it without an issue and is just as accurate as I can shoot it. The only thing holding that gun back is me....lol

Last edited:

LockedBreech

I have never been very interested in bench accuracy either except for rifles. It is highly unlikely that any pistol combat situation will ever involve resting the gun.

Pilot

Benching or putting a gun in a ransom rest will tell you the guns inherent accuracy without human error. When inches can mean your life, I'd rather the gun be capable of better accuracy than not.

hickok45

It's funny how different my perspective is on picking an "accurate" 1911. Most people will shake one around to make sure it's tight; therefore, possibly more "accurate." I'm just the opposite; I'm probably not interested in carrying a 1911 if it's really tight.

There might be a lot of people who can hold a handgun more steady than I can, but I've never been able to tell any real accuracy difference just standing and shooting any 1911, whether it's an old worn GI model, an Ed Brown, or something others would consider a piece of junk.

Just give me a loose, reliable 1911 with properly aligned sights, and I'm good to go!

Hickok45

hickok45

Chapter 2 with the SR1911

Just an update on the SR1911 I have for T&E. I shot a Chapter 2 video with it this week, and it performed flawlessly. We had a bobble or two with the Federal Champion on the first video when the gun was brand new.

Don't know if it was the ammo or if it just needed some rounds through it, but this week it did fine with the Sellier & Bellot 230 grain ammo, dirty or not.

We'll shoot it a bunch more before I return the gun, or perhaps purchase it. I'll decide on that at some point, of course.

Thanks,
Hickok45

dahermit

Not to be a party-pooper, but is there a single thing that it has or does that's new or different? That is, with a blindfold, you'd have no idea if you were shooting a Ruger or a Kimber? There's not really much that's "new" that can be done to a 1911 without making it a non-1911 (Para LDA, for instance), but it appears that new companies stepping into the 1911 market are really trying to sell the gun to people who want a 1911 with a certain name on it, rather than a 1911 that's "better". Someone asked on another forum if Ruger sales will detract from the sales of brand X or brand Y, and I really don't think they will; Ruger's market is people who want a Ruger 1911.
"It feels really good, has good sights, and I like the trigger" sounds like a real endorsement, except there are literally a hundred 1911s on the market about which you could say the same thing. It's like reviewing a new car, and saying, "It has an engine, four tires, and a radio"; don't they all!
Much less expensive, more reliable, better quality, better customer service!!! I am not a big fan of Ruger esthetic's, but this one they did not meddle with, followed Colt's design with the current custom touches. They finally did something right.
Their "sales market", is someone like me who wants a 1911 but does not want to pay the current high price for something that is unreliable (Colt, Kimber, et. AL.).

Duckkkkk

If I may ask.

I ordered one just after watching your video. Nice, and thanks.

I found it online for $625.00, is that roughly what you paid? I was wondering what the "street price" will be for these guns.

dgludwig

Benching or putting a gun in a ransom rest will tell you the guns inherent accuracy without human error. When inches can mean your life, I'd rather the gun be capable of better accuracy than not.

I agree completely, Pilot. I think too many people arbitrarily dismiss "paper results" with the mistaken notion that target groups aren't indicative of "real life" performance. Nothing could be further from the truth. If I'm interested in buying a firearm, be it a rifle or a handgun, I want to know the accuracy capability of the gun, not how well any one tester, including myself, shoots the gun. After I determine the intrinsic accuracy of a firearm by divorcing as many human elements as possible (which is best accomplished by, minimally, shooting from a braced rest and, optimally, from a fixed Ransom Rest or its equivalent), how well I can shoot the gun becomes the next project-and, sometimes, that can be quite a project. :) :eek:

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I, too, appreciate and enjoy Hickok45's videos. I believe he is a credit and positive representative for the the shooting community. In short, I think he is one of the good guys.

At the same time, I do shoot paper for several reasons:

The bullseye target merciless points out my mistakes and "encourages" me to get back on trigger-control and sight alignment, etc. It lets me see whether the gun shoots to the sights or not and/or with what ammo. In short, pure, old-fashioned bullseye shooting, boring and difficult it may be, but for me at least, it serves as the best discipline by which to maintain shooting skills.

In my opinion, "accuracy" is a combination of two components:

Practical Accuracy, ie: how well I can actually make the firearm perform and,

Mechanical Accuracy, ie: the accuracy actually "built into" the firearm

Preferring to actually check such things myself, I do shoot from a rest quite a bit. Is this how it would be in real life? Nope, but it's something I prefer to check. Once that is done, I shoot using weak, strong and both hands, usually from a standing position.

Certainly, no one must shoot for group or from a rest, but in my opinion, doing so does not automatically translate into a meaningless endeavor.

Having said all that, I reiterate that in my opinion, Hickok45's videos are first-rate, informative and just plain entertaining and appreciate getting to see newer entries into the handgun market like Ruger's 1911.

Best to all and a big thanks to Hickok45.

Last edited:

1goodi

the street price in atlanta now is floating around $599 to $625 if you can find one. there are plenty of opportunities to order one from the LGS around town.

I was very close to ordering a SR1911 but I can not buy a pistol blind without physically laying eyes on it. "Buyer Beware". I'm willing to pay just a little bit more if I can inspect what I'm buying.

However, Hickok's videos all but sold me. The guns seemed pretty wet. How much oil should a person use on a 1911? One way or the other I'll be buying a 1911, whether it's a Ruger, Sig or Springfield.

curmudgeon1

I'd buy the 1st 3-incher 1911 Ruger that hits the market because my interest is in concealed carry; the 39-ounce 5-incher is just a little too heavy and bulky to lug around all day/every day. Looks like a very good range gun tho.

Father Time

I would buy The Remington 1911 over Springfield. Don't leave that one out, try it.

Care to elaborate why?

I don't plan on giving any of my money to Cerberus because they ruin good companies.
I have a Springfield Trophy Match and its a great pistol that was hand fit here in America. Can't beat that.;)