SR1911 Experience

hickok45

As many of you already know, I've done one video with the SR1911 and will be shooting and documenting it further.

At this point, I'm pleased with the gun. I've shot somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds through it to date. It feels really good, has good sights, and I like the trigger.

As I continue to break it in and shoot the heck out of it, we'll see how it does. If it continues to operate the way it has, it will be difficult to send it back. :)

I'll try to use better quality ammo in the future, as well as some hollowpoints.

Thanks,
Hickok45

Duckkkkk

Keep the vids coming. I believe a lot of people are waiting for real life reviews of this gun before deciding to purchase.
I love the looks of that gun and if I hadn't already bought two this year I'd have one. Looks to like next years save up project.

RickB

Not to be a party-pooper, but is there a single thing that it has or does that's new or different? That is, with a blindfold, you'd have no idea if you were shooting a Ruger or a Kimber? There's not really much that's "new" that can be done to a 1911 without making it a non-1911 (Para LDA, for instance), but it appears that new companies stepping into the 1911 market are really trying to sell the gun to people who want a 1911 with a certain name on it, rather than a 1911 that's "better". Someone asked on another forum if Ruger sales will detract from the sales of brand X or brand Y, and I really don't think they will; Ruger's market is people who want a Ruger 1911.
"It feels really good, has good sights, and I like the trigger" sounds like a real endorsement, except there are literally a hundred 1911s on the market about which you could say the same thing. It's like reviewing a new car, and saying, "It has an engine, four tires, and a radio"; don't they all!

1911A1Bob

Rick, it really doesn't matter to me if the Ruger doesn't offer much of anything that is new to the 1911 or not. If you're curious as to why someone might be interested in trying yet another 1911 from another manufacturer, to me it's sort of like polymer framed pistols, 2 door sports coupes, or 31 flavors of ice cream. Variety is the spice of life and we all like having choices. ;)

I've yet to see a Kimber sell for the same price-point that the Ruger is set to sell for. And to put it bluntly, a big name doesn't mean you'll get a quality gun every time. My Kimber SIS had issues with the slide stop and the finish coming off the control surfaces right from the start. That gun cost over a grand, the Ruger will cost about half what I spent on the Kimber. If the pistol works and the finish doesn't flake off, I'll be a happy camper to try an all-American made 1911 with the listed features. Will it be any good? I'm willing to try it and find out.

And no, not all guns in the Ruger's price range have a decent trigger or great sights. I picked up a Remington Friday which sells for about what my LGS said they can sell the Ruger for (about $650), and the trigger was awful. I also prefer the high beavertail safety to prevent hammer bite (meaty hands) and the Novak sights. If the Ruger can sell at the same price point and has those options, that's a start.

Duckkkkk

I just think it's a beautiful looking gun. I just love it. Now let some of the experts hammer the heck out of it to see if it functions as well as it looks, and when I'm ready to buy down the road, I'll know if I'm buying a gun that shoots as good as it looks, or a flaming POS that I should stay away from.

Actually I'm glad I don't have the money for one right now, so I don't buy a pretty paper weight if the gun is junk.

As far a Kimber goes, I do believe past reputation is supporting current actual quality.

1911A1Bob

I'm not really trying to bash Kimber in general, just pointing out that everyone makes a stinker occasionally. I bought my Kimber based on reputation and my particular gun didn't live up to it. The next Kimber in the case most likely would have. Just like the Colt I once bought with a bad fit for the grip safety. It had to be fixed, too.

I guess my point is that Rick had specifically asked if anyone would notice the difference in firing the Kimber and Ruger. If they perform identically I know that I would notice the difference in weight...in my wallet. If the Ruger performs as well as I think it will, I think it will be a 1911 that performs as well as the Kimber for less money. That is what I am hoping for, but only time will tell if I'm terribly disappointed.

Duckkkkk

I'm not really trying to bash Kimber in general, just pointing out that everyone makes a stinker occasionally.

I'm not either. But if you read through these boards, something has changed with them, that's all. I'm sure their still just fine for the most part.

LockedBreech

hickok, I watched your video last night and you seemed to really be having a ball with the gun. I was very happy that you were happy, since there is a significant chance that the Ruger SR1911 will be my first 1911. I'd love to see some defense ammo in it (Federal HSTs and Speer Gold Dots especially) so I'll be looking forward to that. I know that SD ammo is very expensive so I understand if it takes a while. Thanks for keeping up the videos.

Also, I saw you used a CrossBreed Supertuck and it seems to conceal even that big 'ol 1911 very well. Any reservations about that holster?

MLeake

Without naming brands, I think there are a few companies out there who had a confluence of factors undermine their reputations for quality:

1) A model or two that were a big hit;
2) A very aggressive marketing department and lots of advertising; and
3) A race to keep up with the demand that followed.

QA couldn't and didn't keep pace with the accelerated output.

KyJim

I saw the video and enjoyed it. You also answered a question I had about the trigger -- weight, crispness, etc. I realize they can differ a bit from gun to gun. Looks like it shoots pretty well, too.

Rogervzv

Hickock, thank you for another superb and enjoyable gun video. Can't get enough of them and no one does them like you. Even if I don't like Glocks. :eek:
I intend to buy a Ruger SR1911 the instant that a variety becomes available here in the People's Republic of California.

Can you leak that sort of info? I'm hoping to hold out for an adjustible sight version or a CCO version or just a 9mm. Are any of these on the board that you know of?

Thanks for the vids, you and nutn need to collaberate some time.:D

Spats McGee

Administrator
Duckkkkk said:
This may be dumbbbbbbbbbbb.......Are they putting out other calibers?
It's not dumb, but I don't think anyone knows yet. As of right now, the SR1911 is only being offered in the one configuration. I've seen lots of people saying they hope that it comes out in other lengths, calibers or finishes, though. Here's hoping for some variety.

1911A1Bob

I don't see why they wouldn't offer 9mm or .40 S&W versions at some point, plus Commander or Officer's length versions for that matter. It may take some time to get around to it, depending upon how well they can keep up production, etc. I'm sure the demand is going to be there for those versions.

Adamantium

Other companies yes, but Ruger tends to be vary minimalistic on the models they offer in automatics. I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. This is just me talking but when they introduced the new SR1911, they took the P90 and P944 off their website.

Hickock,
I really enjoy watching you shoot steel, but as a test of the gun, could you possibly take the less fun task of printing out some paper groups (maybe in a rest) for us on future/current/maybe even past reviewed guns? It looks like you were hitting 90%+ of the targets in the vid, but was perhaps shooting a little low. This makes me really curious as to the gun's accuracy. Thanks again for the vids and efforts.:)

AZAK

Integral plunger tube?

I'm not a 1911 guy, so I don't know if anyone else has that.

I think that Wilson Combat, Caspian, and Nighthawk have offered this in the past; going from memory here, don't know if one can still find one currently offered (haven't been actively paying attention to this recently).

And as someone who does have a Wilson Combat with the integral plunger tube, and having had one of my Colts having to be restaked, I can say that I like them; may not be "traditional" but does not come loose.

Some people's fear of the integral tube is that if it becomes damaged, much more difficult to fix than traditional.

YMMV