Squirrel Dog

chewie146

Ok, I'm a native New Mexican. Anyone around here would just look at me sideways if I mentioned a "squirrel dog" or "turkey dog." Admitting the problem is the first step to a cure. What breeds and what kind of training is involved to make a good squirrel dog. Retrieving isn't really a problem, as squirrels fall from the tree where you shot them. Anyone have any insight?

That's a new one. Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel and turkey dogs used in their hunting. Curious now. The only way I've ever seen turkey hunted was on TV with decoy/s and calling. Sure would like to be enlightened some on the subject please.

wooly booger

Jack Russels, and Rat Terriers will instinctively tree a squirrel and stay under the tree it went up. All you have to do is spot it and shoot it.

There is also a couple of breeds call the mountain cur and mountain feist that were specifically bred for squirrel hunting.

Little terriers are fearless. A couple family in South Dakota had 2 Jack Russells. One day they let them outside and the dogs were going crazy at the bottom of a tree. The man thought "darn, they have treed the neighbor's cat again" He looked up and saw a 160# cougar.

Little terriers are fearless. A couple family in South Dakota had 2 Jack Russells. One day they let them outside and the dogs were going crazy at the bottom of a tree. The man thought "darn, they have treed the neighbor's cat again" He looked up and saw a 160# cougar.

Now that's some BIG Kahuna's slung under a little dog for them to do that. WOW!!

Panfisher

I had a squirrel dog when I was a kid. It was a German Shepard, I have a dog now that could be a squirrel dog pretty easily its a Border Collie, both breeds are very smart and will happily do whatever you want them to you just have to figure out how to "explain" it to them. The old German Shepards hightlight was if a squirrel fell out still alive, he would grab it and shake it until bones snapped, he really enjoyed that part of it. I also fed him the heads, guts, hide and feet, who knew back then it was bad for them.

Tickling

I can vouch for the fact that Jack Russels will tree any animal that will climb one.

Can be stubborn and aggressive to people if not properly trained however.

FALPhil

Growing up, my brother and I used smooth and wire fox terriers for squirrel dogs. The best I ever had was a smooth fox. He was born a natural, and did not take much training to make him top notch.

The defining characteristic of a good squirrel dog is sight. Since most of the time, the squirrels are out of smelling range, the dog must be able to follow the squirrel as it travels along the tree limbs, and lock on to it when it hunkers down. Next to that, he has to like barking at the squirrel. Barking dogs keep the squirrel off balance.

Rick R

Norwegian Elkhound will hunt squirrel. They'll scent trail, hunt by sight, and tree anything but someone here in Appalachia found out that they'll run their paws off on squirrel. Guess we had a shortage of Elg (moose).

Can't help with turkey as they're illegal to hunt with dog here.

overhead

Sure Shot... said:
That's a new one. Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel and turkey dogs used in their hunting. Curious now. The only way I've ever seen turkey hunted was on TV with decoy/s and calling. Sure would like to be enlightened some on the subject please.

I cannot speak for squirrel dogs, I never really felt the need to use a dog squirrel hunting. I can find them on my own and retrieve them on my own.

I am not expert on turkey dogs, but I know someone that hunts turkey in the fall with one. I have yet to hunt with him, but I would like to give it a try. Generally, what you are seeing on TV is spring hunting. During the spring the turkey are mating, the idea is to imitate a female turkey and the male will coming running looking to score. This type of calling does not work during the rest of the year. During the fall, the turkeys group up and it appears their goal is to stay grouped up. If they are separated from the flock they do their best to find their way back. The idea is the dog will find a flock and break it up. The hunter then sets up with a call. The hunter calls the turkey back in trying to imitate the group of turkeys he split from.

I really enjoy hunting turkey much more then hunting other animals. I guess it is the challenge of calling them in. I have been considering getting a dog to train to hunt turkey, but I just don't have the time to do it this year.

http://www.turkeydog.org/

PawPaw

Any of the terriers can be trained to tree squirrels. We used to make training aids from squirrel tails and let the dogs chase them around the yard. Once he learned to associate the smell and sight of the squirrel tail with a game, he wanted to play all the time. A good squirrel dog is a joy.

Turkey dog? That one is new to me.

L_Killkenny

Boy, lookin at this thead you'd think just about any dog with a little bit of chase in it is a potential world champion squirrel dog. It may be possible to get a lot of off-bred dogs to hunt squirrel but doing it well is completely different.

If you're looking for a squirrel dog then get a squirrel dog. Specifically a feist or cur from proven stock. Most dog breeds including the terrier breeds mentioned here are so far removed from hunting stock as to make them a crap shoot at best. They may make fine hunting buddies and may even contribute to the hunt but that's a dang long way away from a good tree dog.

Been around hounds, curs and terriers my whole adult life and I'll tell you this, tree dogs are born not made.

I had a Golden Retriever when I was younger. My hunting buddy and when I headed out I didn't care if we shot birds, rabbits, squirrel or the occasional daytime coon. He'd use his nose on any of them and helped bag some "off" game that I might of walked right on by. But a good squirrel dog would of smoked his butt in the woods.

Gunplummer

I am with Panfisher. I had a black lab when I was a kid that was the perfect squirrel and pheasant dog. If I took the .22 and we sat under a tree, she sat right next to me waiting. If she heard a squirrel barking she tried to locate it by looking, but stayed there until I shot. You need a smart dog of any breed that wants to hunt squirrels. My lab would not chase rabbits, just stood and looked at them. My buddy had a shepard mix that pointed pheasants. Dog people think you can breed anything into a dog. I will never believe that. I have noticed that most dogs "Bred to hunt" are dumb as rocks.

reynolds357

I have always used Thornberg Feists and Keimmer Kurrs. I have a Keimmer Kurr at the moment and he is also an excellent deer recovery dog. He is getting old, I need another one. Dont know where to find one. If anyone knows, P.M. me please.:)

shortwave

reynolds357,

There used to be a known Feist breeder in Olive Hill, Kentucky. Years ago and don't remember his name. A google may turn something up.

Also out of Leburn,Ky. the well known Buckley Mountain Feist Line:

GREYTAIL'S MOUNTAIN FEIST SQUIRREL DOGS This is for my squirrel mountain feist squirrel dogs that has been in my family for
over 100 years.
www.angelfire

You may want to check here also for a possible line in your area:

Mountain Feist Dog Breed Puppies Mountain Feist Breeders & Puppies For Sale If your a Mountain Feist breeder and
have Mountain Feist puppies for sale, send us your details for free and we will ...
www.completedogsguide

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

chewie146

The dachshund...for concealed carry squirrel hunting. You can conceal the dog and the gun! Those guys tree squirrels? That'd be awesome, as my wife loves those guys. On a scale of 1 to Jack Russel, how stubborn are they? I've heard they need an alpha to keep them in line.