Squib troubleshooting, .38 SPL.

A small piece of media stuck in the hole at the primer cup side would be centered over the middle of the primer anvil, which is a depression, and so might cause no seating interference. I am surprised the primer didn't just blow it through, though. Were their any carbon marks around the primer itself to suggest gas leaking out around its edges?

Visual inspection of charges is a pretty good indication none were undercharged.

Powder contamination was mentioned earlier. I had a minor cold one time and had a drop fall from my nose into a case I was inspecting, boogering the powder up. A drop of perspiration would do the same thing, albeit not so literally.

I put your load into QuickLOAD. If it's database is correct that your bullet is 0.515" long, then you should have about 47% case fill of the space under your bullet with your COL, and there's no way powder position alone should have affected your round so dramatically. Lots of common target loads have loading densities in that range. It's too small for rifle powders, but quick pistol powders don't usually mind. However, if you combine powder being forward against the bullet with a plugged flash hole, perhaps the two in unison would conspire to delay delivery of primer gas enough to let it cool some and produce this result.

Anyone who has fired an uncharged pistol round knows a primer makes enough gas to unseat a bullet just fine, and if the powder burn doesn't get underway until after that unseating has started, the expansion plus the gas leaking around the bullet can prevent pressure from building. BTW, you didn't mention your primer. Magnum primers, because they make a larger volume of gas, can actually worsen this problem in some instances, causing lower rather than the expected higher peak pressure.

indie_rocker

@Unclenick
There was no indication of pressure leakage around the primer (WSP). Powder being forward AND plugged flash hole is interesting! It was the first shot of a set, so the powder was no doubt forward in the case.

bedbugbilly

My first and only squib (so far) in any of my 38s was in my Smith Model 36. In my case, I know it was an empty case. I use CCI primers and the primer alone drove a lead cast 150 gr. (they drop about 150 gr. from my mold) .358 wad cutter into the barrel about a 1/4 beyond the forcing cone/rifling junction.

I'm guessing that, for whatever reason, your powder didn't burn. Contamination? If you are showing unburned powder - what did it sound like? A "pffffft" or a low bang? Mine sounded like a "pffffft" and if nothing else, it taught me what power a primer has as far as creating pressure in a casing.

The good thing is that you caught it - and, you may never know for sure just what did cause it.

If a person reloads . . . it's not a case of "never" or "if" you'll have a squib - it's a case of "when". Mine taught me a very valuable lesson . . . never let someone interrupt you when reloading and if they do . . dump the one you're working on and start over. :rolleyes:

indie_rocker

The 125gr I was shooting went about the same distance into my barrel, maybe a little more past the forcing cone. It was definitely a "pffffft", a couple adult words came out of my mouth... I knew it was a squib before I even opened the cylinder. It had no umph to it at all. This was my first squib, I've learned a lot and you're absolutely right, I'll probably never know exactly what caused it. I do know that much more attention will be given to the QC department... Those guys (me) are slacking.