Springfield SA-35 (Kinda looks like a High-power)

cslinger

Technically it is. Parts interchange, mags interchange etc. There are a few small tweaks and no mag disconnect but from what I gather it is a HiPower for all intents and purposes, traditionalists aside.

Sharkbite

Ive owned 3 Hi-powers in the past. Somehow ended up needing to sell them for other purposes. Im getting one of these and never letting go.

I think the P-35 is THE sexiest handgun ever, followed by the HK P7.

I wonder if this pistol will make it onto SA’s velocity retail rewards program?

kymasabe

I'm not a 1911 or Hi-Power guy....but I'm seriously lusting for this pistol.
It's now on my must-have list.

totaldla

SA fixed the stuff that I found completely stupid, trigger, hammer bite, etc. Very happy to see the design finally evolve.

TunnelRat

I’m interested. I owned a few Hi Powers, all Mk IIIs, some were commercial Brownings, but most were surplus imports made in Belgium. A number of the parts Springfield Armory changed here are parts people often pay to change at a later point in time. It’s not a true FN produced Hi Power, but with production of those ceased and prices in Gunbroker and elsewhere having gone crazy for even imports in rough shape, I think this is a good thing to give people a chance to get the flavor of something from history.

As for the use of MIM, we’ve gone over this a bunch on this forum. HK uses MIM for hammers, slide releases, and extractors to name a few parts. There are HK USPs with over 200,000 rds and no parts breakages. MIM is also heavily used in the aerospace industry. MIM can be done well. I’ve had some of the best luck of the dozens of pistols I’ve owned with Springfield Armory products.

For the price point of this (Brownells had preorders for $635 today), it seems like it beats the TISAS clones from a few years ago for value.

Decent summary video:

https://youtu.be/FNrGy6T2AzY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest T Bass

I’m interested too. I have never owned a 9mm. All of my handguns are 1911’s and vintage S&W and Colt revolvers. The most “modern” handgun I own is a 2020 Python. That being said, I’ve always been “Hi-Power curious”. The price on this isn’t bad at all (in my opinion), and it doesn’t have gaudy roll marks on the slide. I might just buy one!

DubC-Hicks

Now Springfield, PLEASE introduce a TRP model, with rail/threaded barrel/suppressor sight options. I'll buy one of those and one of the standard models.

Centurion

There are three ways the price could be so low...MIM or imported parts finished and assembled in the US. Or a mix of both. Anyway, it could be an excellent option.

Wheelgun

No ambidextrous safety is disappointing. It means having to factor in extra work, and is typically a no-go for me on a pistol. Luckily I already have a hi-power.

-WG

"I think the P-35 is THE sexiest handgun ever, followed by the HK P7. "

I have both, and I 100% agree with you.

Someone else mentioned no .40.

Well, not yet, at least. Let them get this one up and running and hopefully they'll bring out a .40 version, or one in .357 Sig. Both would interest me.

"imported parts finished and assembled in the US."

Apparently these are stamped Made in the USA, but I had the same thought -- no way can they do a forged in frame in the US and charge that little for it.

My guess is that they're bringing in rough forgings from OCONUS and are finishing them and doing assembly here. That way they can stamp them Made in USA and keep the price down.

Butzbach

Help the millennial in the room. Clearly there is a lot of interest. What's the appeal?

(not pointed like it sounds :) )
Go to your LGS (local gun shop) although you might have better luck at a gun show. Pick up one of these or a Hi-Power. Hold it in your hand. All of your questions will be answered. If you could fire it, you could make a coke can dance at 50 yards.

I’m speaking about the Hi-Power as I’ve not had a chance to shoot one of these. The Coke can dance “is no joke” to quote sleepy Joe. And I’ve been buying my eyeglasses from Coke since 1967.

KyJim

I was on jets and in airports for 20 hours (youngest daughter married in Ireland). I turned on the pc to take a quick look at my email and saw Brownells had the new gun. I was too zonked out to deal with it and by the time I got up and looked at one review, it was sold out at Brownells and every where else I looked.

I WILL HAVE ONE!