Springfield micro GI 3incher opinions

i'd like to hear from folks that own or have shot one. are they reliable for a 3 incher? how's the recoil? is $555 a decent price?

i noticed it has a fully ramped bull barrel, but am wondering about the ejection port not being lowered...

nicely fitted though, no slide/fame play. trigger was a little heavy, no big deal though

just thinkin about it.

thanx

PW9801L.jpg

is that something new?, i havn't seen that one yet...

well i'm not sure how long it's been out, but i've seen it on springer's site for some time now, just never seen one in a gunshop till yesterday. seems like a nice little blaster...

vikingm03

wow, thats crazy, its a mini me. I have the full size version of that, i have not had a failure-to-anything, so no i have not had any trouble with the ejection port.

Baba Louie

The only downside to SA's GI series to my mind, is the tiny original sights are hard for my older eyes to pick up fast. I do not doubt they shoot well. The timing on the little 1911s can be problematic, springs need replacing every now and then, etc.

While I have not shot one of SA's micros (I have fondled one in local gun shop), I have shot Kimber's little one and have owned and shot Colt's Defender and the recoil springs need replacing every now and then if you shoot it a lot. Recoil in the Defender is no big deal.

The original ejection port on my GI 5" and 4" Champion have caused no problems as well... it's just the tiny sights at speed. When taking my sweet time, both of those shoot very well for their price point. Oh, one other thing (minor point). The grip safety tang does wear and cause skin loss on web of shooting hand after about 250 rds in a single session. Band aid, duct tape or gloves handles that minor issue. I could dremel off a more rounded edge there... or shoot less (with todays ammo prices that is always an option)

At that price, I'd probably buy it if I had the cash in hand and nowhere else to spend it.

test drive

i have had one for about 3 years now and love it its my main cary. will feed anything i put in it including 200gr lsw. gun is very acurate. i like the low sights. not much to stag on and anyway the guns made for up close defence. only prob. i had was with mags it can be picky. mine realy likes the kimber 7 round mags. (go figure ) other than that its a fine pistol. 550 is good if its in good shape as these are getting hard to locate.

Stevie-Ray

When I got my Kimber UCDP, there were no Springfield Micros. Had there been, I certainly would have had a look. Not really enough features for me on that particular model, but looks like a neat little gun otherwise. My Kimber is my EDC.

KyJim

I bought one used. It functioned reliably with FMJ ammo. I never tried hollow points in it because of concerns about reduced velocity/expansion from the short barrel. The felt recoil was reasonably stout but not unmanageable. The only issue I had with this particular gun is that it shot WAY low. I'm sure it was just this one pistol. I ended up trading it in toward another 1911.

orionengnr

My GF just sold hers today. Probably put 200 total rounds through it.
Just a bit too heavy compared to an alloy frame 1911, and the trigger was horrible.

She shoots my Kimber Ultra CDP so much better, now she wants one. :)

The Springer is solidly built, and if I spent enough time and money, I could make it work (and look) as nice as the Kimber. Let's see, beavertail, trigger, sear and disconnect, hammer and thumb safety...grips, refinish...well, there's about $400, and after all that, it still weighs 8 oz more than the Kimber.

Nah, I think she'll do better with the Ultra CDP.

Bottom line:
Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it, but don't put a ton of money into it trying to make it something it isn't.

Baba Louie

Is this similar to the EMP?
In theory, yes. Actually the EMP is smaller scale than the Micro. Original EMP design based around the .45GAP (IIRC from reading the slick gun mags of the day), then chambered for the 9mm and .40 for production.

The GI Micro is a lot cheaper than the EMP as well.

EAJ702

I would give the edge to the EMP with respect to reliability.

SA Loaded LTWT Micro Compact Operator

Barrel Length: 3"
Overall Length: 6.5"
Overall Height: 5"
Weight: 26 ozs.
Barrel: Stainless Steel Match Grade Bull w/ Fully Supported Feed Ramp
Frame: Forged Aluminum Alloy w/ Integral Accessory Rail, Black Hardcoat Anodized
Magazine Capacity: 6
Slide: Forged Stainless Steel, Satin Finish, Dehorned

samicroltwt_06.jpg

SA EMP 9mm

Barrel Length: 3"
Overall Length: 6.63"
Overall Height: 5.18"
Weight: 26 ozs.
Barrel: Stainless Steel Match Grade Bull w/ Intergral Feed Ramp
Frame: Forged Aluminum Alloy, Black Hardcoat Anodized
Magazine Capacity: 9
Slide: Forged Stainless Steel, Satin Finish, Dehorned

saemp_02.jpg

well, my friends, i just walked through the door with my new EMP40. decided on that instead of the micro. can't wait to shoot it. i'll put some pics up soon. prob get some VZ g10 grips for it too :D:D:D:D

Stevie-Ray

I would give the edge to the EMP with respect to reliability.
Looks like that loaded Micro is a tick smaller than the EMP. SA had nothing like that when I got my CDP or I would have considered them, especially since back then they would have been considerably cheaper.

Crankylove

I bought the exact gun in the OP's post (except mine does have a lowered ejection port), about 2 years ago. I use it for daily carry, and have never regreted the purchase. The trigger is HEAVY. I would say 10-12 lbs at least. I was suprised at the recoil. I get a little more muzzle flip compared to my 5" Kimber, but it is really not bad. The sights.......well, they suck. For a carry gun I like them as they are very snag free, but they are pretty crappy for any type of target use. I had a couple failure to feed issues out of the first magazine or two, but have had no trouble with it since, with 3-4,000 rounds thru it. So far it has fed all the different factory and handloads I have stuffed in it, with no issues at all with bullet type. My gun shoots high, but groups nicely, and it does throw brass EVERYWHERE :(

When I bought mine, I got it for $499, and think it was worth the money then, and now.

I bought the exact gun in the OP's post (except mine does have a lowered ejection port),

you know, i did infact notice today that the ejection port was actually lowered like yours, unlike the one in the pic :confused::confused:

but here's my emp 40cal that i bought, and have to send back to springer tomorrow! the inside of the slide is wrought with gouges and poor machining :mad:

it's ok though. i'm sure springer will fix it, and the lady on the phone was really nice and told me not to worry about it. :( :)

but here it is:

Pic4145035.jpg

Stevie-Ray

but here's my emp 40cal that i bought, and have to send back to springer tomorrow! the inside of the slide is wrought with gouges and poor machining
Another little tidbit filed away for future arguments.