springfield armory 1911 a1 construction?

pistolet1

I picked up my SA 1911A1 back in the mid '80's, probably less than a year after they came out. I think they originally retailed at $249 and sold out very quickly. As I recall, the early ones had no reference to their country of origin, however most people figured they were made in either Argentina or Brazil. I remember seeing one at a local gun shop and I was not initially impressed. The finish appeared to be like a black enamel paint, the surfaces looked rough and unpolished, and one of the plastic grip panels was substanially warped. I decided I would wait until they got their manufacturing act together. The next production run seemed to be greatly improved over the initial offering; retail now was $289 and numerous 'smiths around the country were already snapping them up for in-house custom guns, ready for a quick turn around after getting the combat treatment.
My own 1911A1 looks and feels totally GI; no blocky frame or dust cover; grip frame is nicely radiused; and function and fit of the entire gun is superb. As a product comparable with Colt's offerings from the same time period, (when you could find them), I think the SA 1911's were a great buy in terms of price and quality; and in that regard, I think they still are.

kristop64089

I have a Mil-Spec (not GI version) made in Brazil.

I have no problem with it at all.

The fit and finish is superb. It is accurate as me. Itis a beautiful gun.

My question is this. How many people buy a 1911 w/out any mods planned?

If you are wanting a plinker buy a RIA. If you are wanting a spec built assembly line gun buy a Kimber or wilson. But, if you are wanting a gun you can customize to your liking, buy a Springer.

Even if you don't do anything to it all, you still have a great shooter that looks good, and holds it's resale value.

AK103K

My question is this. How many people buy a 1911 w/out any mods planned?
This is pretty much how I preferred to buy them. The closer to "stock", the better. Especially for a carry gun. All you really need on them is a decent set of sights,(night sights for me) which most makers have dealt with, and a reasonable trigger.

If your into 1911's with all the bells and whistles, thats cool, thats all a personal thing. Its just been my experience that the closer you stay to Colt/GI specs for frame fit and parts, the more reliable the gun. Shorter barrels and questionable need add on parts tend to interfere with reliability.

Even if you don't do anything to it all, you still have a great shooter that looks good, and holds it's resale value.
If you want resale value, buy Colt. I took a loss on just about every Springfield I sold.

kristop64089

This is pretty much how I preferred to buy them. The closer to "stock", the better. Especially for a carry gun. All you really need on them is a decent set of sights,(night sights for me) which most makers have dealt with, and a reasonable trigger.

If your into 1911's with all the bells and whistles, thats cool, thats all a personal thing. Its just been my experience that the closer you stay to Colt/GI specs for frame fit and parts, the more reliable the gun. Shorter barrels and questionable need add on parts tend to interfere with reliability

That's my point with Springer. They are priced fair enough that if you want to do any mods to the gun, you can, with out destroying the value. Plus you get a great gun with good value.

No doubt nothing beats a Colt as far as value, quality, and reputation.

I'd love to have one. BUT, I bought my springer with plans for future Mods(different sights, adj trigger,hammer, ). Something I would not do to a Colt.

I don't like all the bells and whistles either.

JohnMcD348

I own a SA loaded model that seems to be prtty good so far. The only trouble I've had with it was that the rear sight fell off while firing it. Literaly, it slide out of the dovetail and into my hands. Odd thing was, my aim improved when just using the front site(Shotgun Mod):D

I've added a few odds and ends to it without any issue. I bought a Smith&Alexander Arched MSH with MagWell, new spring set for theat, extended slide release, hogue grip and they have all fit without any modification ro need for smith fitting. The rear site issue was quickly handled by SA and they refunded all shipping costs and such. The only issue I have with SA 1911's is that they use a somewhat proprietary dovetail for their sights which makes it a little harder to change them out with off the shelf stuff.