Springfield 1911-A1 recoil springs

L. Boscoe

As far as the 4.0gr of 231, not to worry-I have shot well over 300 rounds with that load in three different guns, two with 5-inch barrels, and no problems.
I do plan however to us 4.4gr of 231 for the next step,
some of my pistols don't like SWC with the lighter load (some jamming issues), whereas most work fine with the higher loads.
One of the most pleasant commercial loads I have shot is the Norma Hexagon
200gr hollow point, although they are a bit stronger than I am looking for.
I am 85, have a lot of arthritis, have to shoot sitting down, etc, so what might work for healthier dudes is not for me.:cool:

Jim Watson

Your velocity at 4.0 gr W231 + 200 gr SWC is probably a bit erratic. Mine was.
Going up to 4.4 will even it out. It did for me, but I changed to Bullseye for powderpuff loads.

L. Boscoe said:
I am 85, have a lot of arthritis, have to shoot sitting down, etc, so what might work for healthier dudes is not for me.
I'm only a [very] few years behind you, and I gave up pretending to enjoy shooting hand cannons many years ago. I'm all in favor of light loads, but ... not TOO light.

reddog81

Are we sure the recoil spring is too heavy? A 28 or 30 lbs mainspring will be hard to rack even with the lightest recoil spring ever made.

With the hammer already cocked is the gun still that hard to rack? The mainspring is what causes most resistance when the hammer is down.

L. Boscoe

Springfield 1911 A1 Recoil springs

taking the pistol to gunsmith for further analysis. FYI I did up my loads to 4.4gr of 231, that seems to help chambering:cool: