Springfield 1911-A1 recoil springs

L. Boscoe

I have a used pistol that is in good shape, seems to have the mother of all recoil springs in it, and want to change that to a spring compatible with my
low power hand loads, aka 4.0gr of W 231 being a 200gr SWC.
The standard spring is 16#, so I am thinking 12?
suggestions about this??:cool:

Nathan

I would probably get the calibration kit from Wolff.

Stock No. 13112 - Reduced Power Pak - Conventional
This pak contains 1 each of 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15 Lb. reduced power conventional recoil springs and 3 extra power firing pin springs.

LINK

I have a used pistol that is in good shape, seems to have the mother of all recoil springs in it, and want to change that to a spring compatible with my low power hand loads, aka 4.0gr of W 231 being a 200gr SWC.

You have no idea what springs the previous owner put in the pistol nor do you know what modifications he may have made.

Does this Springfield have the ILS locking mechanism in it? If it does, the first thing I would do is replace the mainspring housing with a standard non-ILS one. Also replace the titanium firing pin with a steel one from Ed Brown or EGW. Different diameter firing pins are available. .075" diameter firing pins are common in Springfields but there are exceptions so you'll have to measure the one that's in the pistol now or use gauge pins to measure the firing pin hole diameter to be sure you order the correct diameter. Here are the components of the ILS system:

CRVdkbj.jpg

If it doesn't have the ILS system in it, I would replace every spring with new ones from Wolff just so you know for a fact what springs are in it. This will establish a baseline for future spring changes e.g. if you decide to try a lighter or stronger recoil spring.

I suggest replacing the the mainspring (hammer spring) with a new Wolff 23lb spring.

I suggest replacing the recoil spring with a new conventional Wolff 14lb spring and I suggest getting a 12lb spring and a 16lb spring as long as you're already spending money. You'll save shipping costs in the long run. Each recoil spring will come with an extra power firing pin return spring so you're covered there.

I wouldn't replace the sear spring unless test firing indicates the need to.

If you determine that the magazine catch spring needs to be replaced, Wolff offers variety pack so you can use the one that you like best.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

You have no idea what springs the previous owner put in the pistol nor do you know what modifications he may have made.

Does this Springfield have the ILS locking mechanism in it? If it does, the first thing I would do is replace the mainspring housing with a standard non-ILS one. Also replace the titanium firing pin with a steel one from Ed Brown or EGW. Different diameter firing pins are available. .075" diameter firing pins are common in Springfields but there are exceptions so you'll have to measure the one that's in the pistol now or use gauge pins to measure the firing pin hole diameter to be sure you order the correct diameter. Here are the components of the ILS system:

CRVdkbj.jpg

If it doesn't have the ILS system in it, I would replace every spring with new ones from Wolff just so you know for a fact what springs are in it. This will establish a baseline for future spring changes e.g. if you decide to try a lighter or stronger recoil spring.

I suggest replacing the the mainspring (hammer spring) with a new Wolff 23lb spring.

I suggest replacing the recoil spring with a new conventional Wolff 14lb spring and I suggest getting a 12lb spring and a 16lb spring as long as you're already spending money. You'll save shipping costs in the long run. Each recoil spring will come with an extra power firing pin return spring so you're covered there.

I wouldn't replace the sear spring unless test firing indicates the need to.

If you determine that the magazine catch spring needs to be replaced, Wolff offers variety pack so you can use the one that you like best.

Why replace the firing pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why replace the firing pin?
In order to get the lightweight titanium firing pin to ignite a primer a ridiculously heavy mainspring (30lb), standard is 23lb, must be used. Even then light primer strikes may occur depending on several factors.

Springfield went with the titanium firing pins and grossly strong mainsprings some years ago in order to get their 1911s to pass the California drop test requirements so they could sell their pistols in California.

So, replacing the titanium firing pin is done in the name of reliability. Doing so has the secondary benefits of reducing the trigger pull a little and making it easier to pull the slide back.

Last edited:
In my 5" 1911s I'm shooting extremely light 45acp loads. I'm using a 11lb spring which works great.
Mouse fart loads are fun. We all know that predicting exactly what weight recoil spring to use is futile since the way a pistol is fit and the technique of the individual shooter are major factors that cannot be easily quantified.

Here's a fun video showing the effect of various recoil springs in a 1911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ

TunnelRat

In order to get the lightweight titanium firing pin to ignite a primer a ridiculously heavy mainspring, way more than 23lb, must be used. Even then light primer strikes may occur depending on several factors.

Springfield went with the titanium firing pins and grossly strong mainsprings some years ago in order to get their 1911s to pass the California drop test requirements so they could sell their pistols in California.

So, replacing the titanium firing pin is done in the name of reliability. Doing so has the secondary benefits of reducing the trigger pull a little and making it easier to pull the slide back.

Good to know, thanks! If I were to replace the titanium pin in my SA Range Officer it sounds like I could use a lighter mainspring. If SA is using very heavy mainspring, does that mean they are using lighter recoil springs in order to get the pistol to cycle properly, and if so would I need to swap the recoil spring too?

I see the spring weights you give in post #3. Should I grab one of the recoil springs and main springs and try that? My Range Officer comes in at exactly 5 lb. on a trigger pull gauge. If I could get that to 4.5 lb. I’d be tickled pink.

L. Boscoe said:
I have a used pistol that is in good shape, seems to have the mother of all recoil springs in it, and want to change that to a spring compatible with my
low power hand loads, aka 4.0gr of W 231 being a 200gr SWC.
suggestions about this??
I load Berry's 200-gr plated semi-wadcutters with 4.6 grains of W231. That load cycles a standard recoil spring, but it's a light load. At 4.0 grains, I think a 12-pound recoil spring should be about right.

If I were to replace the titanium pin in my SA Range Officer it sounds like I could use a lighter mainspring.
Yes.

Do you know for a fact that the firing pin in your pistol is titanium?

If SA is using very heavy mainspring, does that mean they are using lighter recoil springs in order to get the pistol to cycle properly . . .
Honestly, I don't remember what recoil spring weight they use with the ILS equipped pistols.

My Range Officer comes in at exactly 5 lb. on a trigger pull gauge. If I could get that to 4.5 lb. I’d be tickled pink.
You should be able to drop the trigger pull a pound by tweaking the left and center leafs of the sear spring.

TunnelRat

Yes.

Do you know for a fact that the firing pin in your pistol is titanium?

Honestly, I don't remember what recoil spring weight they use with the ILS equipped pistols.

You should be able to drop the trigger pull a pound by tweaking the left and center leafs of the sear spring.

My RO doesn’t have the ILS.

I just assumed the firing pin was titanium. I can take it out and check it with a magnet.

Jim Watson

I have that trial pack scattered over several guns; 9mm and .45 Minor.
10 - 13 lbs seems not to make a lot of difference. I am not using the 14 and 15.

L. Boscoe

Turns out I do have the Instrument landing system gun. The two little dots are vertical, and it shoots. I did not get the key to turn it, which is ok with me. The youngest person to be near this gun is my wife, and she's 70.
This one is called "tactical", I presume because it has
the red light on the side (my battery is dead at the moment) for aiming.
The case the pistol was sold in says "not legal in California".
Does that mean anything about the titanium firing pin??
I will take it to the range tomorrow and see what rounds is likes/doesn't like.:cool:

L. Boscoe said:
Turns out I do have the Instrument landing system gun. The two little dots are vertical, and it shoots.
Does that mean anything about the titanium firing pin??

If it has the ILS (I refer to it as the Infernal Locking System) it should have a titanium firing pin, and a 28-pound hammer spring.

L. Boscoe

Springfield 1911 -A1 recoil springs

Ok, thanks, I have 12 and 14# on the way. No wonder the damn thing is so hard to rack.:cool:

Aguila Blanca said:
If it has the ILS (I refer to it as the Infernal Locking System) it should have a titanium firing pin, and a 28-pound hammer spring.

L. Boscoe said:
Ok, thanks, I have 12 and 14# on the way. No wonder the damn thing is so hard to rack.
You are referring to recoil springs. The 28-pound spring I mentioned is the hammer spring. A great many owners of SA 1911s replace the entire ILS mainspring housing with a standard one (arched or flat, your preference) and a standard 23-pound hammer spring (or maybe a 21- or 19-pound hammer spring).

L. Boscoe

Springfield 1911 A1 recoil springs

turns out I have a titanium firing pin. I ordered a new one from Ed Brown along with the stronger spring.
Should have it and the recoil springs in place next week.
What is the advantage in replacing the ILS stuff?:cool:

lll Otto lll

^ There really is no need to replace the TI firing pin. Titanium decreases the chance of a drop fire and also reduces lock times. Anyway, the #826 pin from Ed Brown is the one you should order.
As far as the ILS, you only need to change the cap and spring and add the cap pin, the housing will work with the stock parts installed.
Springfield abandoned the ILS about 7 years ago in favor of cheaper manufacturing costs. Trigger pulls are improved without it but only marginally.

rodfac

I have no suggestions for a load that light. My standard, is 5.0 - 5.2 gr of Win 231 with a 200 gr LSWC...it's a mild shooting load, superbly accurate and offers outstanding reliability.

You may have a powder/bullet/ slide & spring combination there that are just not workable. I'd suggest a slightly heavier load...say 4.5 grains of 231 as a start point. Without trying it...(it's a fully grain below mine)...I wonder that you're not getting a bullet lodged in the bore...are real concern, obviously.

YMMv, Rod

Last edited:
rodfac has a good point. 4.0 grains is a VERY light load with Winchester 231. The Hodgdon/Winchester web site shows 4.4 grains as the starting load with a 200-grain LSWC bullet, and the max load as 5.6 grains. I have loaded Berry's plated SWC over 4.6 grains of Win 231, and find that it's perhaps too light.