Sporterized M1 carbine

Ibmikey

Amd, For many of us the M1A1 is as neat as a carbine can be, at least an original M1A1. I keep mine in the safe since it is the last i have ( gave two others away as gifts, one to a friend's daughter for her 16 th BD) and bought a folder from Sarco. Nice stock but is just not the same as a GI even with a nice Inland to insert into it i know it did not fly through the air on D Day or get drug through Belgian mud or German cities, just is not the same.

tirod

In the day, the Carbine was much more the sporter version of the Garand, cut down about as much as they couldn't be. No forward handguard, side mounted sling, even paratrooper folding stock.

And something we are leaving out, you could find one with the M2 cuts a lot more often than their current owners will admit. Given all that, the issue Carbine was as cool as getout.

Those "finely crafted milsurps" weren't considered that in the day, they were post war cast offs, a military rifle that had ugly features no one wanted. Those full stocks and bands, sights, etc were taken off to replicate the truly "fine" rifles being sold in the day - and Weatherby was setting the pace. That's why you saw Mauser actions in glossy Monte Carlo stocks, it was the less well heeled version of the high end guns, and there was no excuses to be made for the action. Mausers were a known good deal. Plenty of 03's got the chop, too.

What has happened is the extreme styling of the '50s bolt guns is now gone by, and the original milsurps are being restored because they are appreciated for what they were more than what the traditional sporter owner did. Old Weatherbys, glossy Remingtons, white spacers, fancy grip caps and deluxe rolled checkering did the genre in. it's passe to have one of those "revered" old guns that the milsurps were cut up to emulate.

Times change and even in traditional rifles the military look is having it's day.

madmo44mag

Just had the 30 out yesterday.
My favorite carbine to shoot.
I love M1 30's so much I really don't care how they look or what stock has been placed on one as long as they shoot good.
As noted earlier I would hate to see a USGI rifle sporterized..