Spin and Flip cocking

MJN77

DPris and JohnKSa, you two DON'T know what you are talking about. All you have on your side are facts and logic! Plummer has .........watched T.V.??? Darn it, you two are just WRONG!!!!! Get a life!! :rolleyes:

Anybody that can look at that picture and tell me the lever is not firing that rifle is in way over their head.

The lever is not firing that rifle. The fairly large, obviously visible screw sticking through the trigger guard fires that rifle.
http://www.riflemansrifle.com/replicas/slide1.jpg
Not a difficult concept to grasp, really. The screw, as has been said, could be backed out so as NOT to fire that rifle when the lever was closed. That way, the rifle could be cycled and fired one shot at a time by manually pulling the trigger with your finger as a "normal" rifle could. When tightened down, the end of the screw tripped the trigger when the lever was closed. So, again the lever itself did not fire the gun. The screw did. Plot devices in a script from a fictional T.V. show do not effect the facts. Since you are the one getting argumentative and hostile about a prop rifle on a long dead fictional television show from fifty years ago, perhaps it is you that needs a life? Like you, I too have had enough ignorance for tonight "dude".

Last edited:

TriumphGuy

As a completely neutral third party, I'd like to step in and mention that the lever can't trip the trigger without the screw in place and the screw can't trip the trigger without moving the lever.

I think everyone is arguing about whether a potato grows in the dirt or underground.

BigMikey76

I think everyone is arguing about whether a potato grows in the dirt or underground.

Well put!!:D

While I have been enjoying the comments going back and forth as I have followed this arguement, it has been occurring to me that both sides are saying the same basic thing, just from different points of view - the lever and screw work together to get the job done, and neither would fire the gun without the other. In other words, both sides are right and wrong at the same time... funny how that happens some times.

shafter

I've never understood why someone would want to risk knocking their brains out spinning a rifle when it can be more easily fire with one hand by gripping the stock to your body with your arm and working the lever normally....

Strafer Gott

I pinched very much more than my finger in one of those Daisys. Almost made a Daisy outta me. There were more of those toy rigs for playing "The Rifleman", the show or somebody made a ton of money on MERCH! Hey it's a show. I know someone can spend the time to get it to muscle memory. After that accuracy drills. I think it will take one hugely talented actor to fill his shoes, and I'd pay to see that movie.

Jason_G

I've never understood why someone would want to risk knocking their brains out spinning a rifle when it can be more easily fire with one hand by gripping the stock to your body with your arm and working the lever normally....

Err..., yeah, but... what's cool about that?!! :D :p

Jason

Scribe

It's not knocking out what few brains I have that would worry me....

...it's having a poor grip on a powerful weapon, going through it's loading cycle and pointing at my chest while doing so that causes me concern.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Er, y'all could go to the Revolver forum and talk about the "road agent's spin" with the old Colt thumb buster...

:D:D:D

gak

JohnSka and Denis--and those corroborating their views--are the ones with their heads on straight on this one. There are several episodes showing ol' Lucas specifically backing out (or screwing in) the screw noted, as the occasion called for, and at least one IIRC where he briefly explains the function "correctly." I don't recall if the Rifleman website links noted (and there are several others out there as well) specifically refers to, but there are one or two gentlemen out there who have "exactly" replicated the fully operational versions of the Lucas McCain 92--complete with screw, and at least one sells them--and the proprietors have mastered the technique...I'm sure with much practice. Chuck was said to have become proficient even with "live" rounds--off set of course. Being tall (and especially a combo of long legged and armed) certainly helps, as mentioned. I would agree that the practice should be done--if at all--with extreme caution (the whole idea's a non sequitir I admit)--whether with or without loaded ammo and with or without the screw device. An accident waiting to happen for most of us, either way.

My solution: get a large loop 92 (mostly Rossis, but pricier Italians (Chiappas) are available as well, all of which are without the screw--just for the John Wayne or Rifleman looks...either for use with gloved hands, and DON'T spin cock it! Just look at it, ooggle it, "handle" it, fondle it. Just don't spin cock it. (I'm assuming losing shells on the ground if you do, as someone mentioned--without the custom plunger--anyway). I admit I had one of my Rossis configured with the loop (actually had a large loop from a 16" "Trapper" 92 swapped to a regular 20" 92 as it seemed more fitting/to scale) for the visual effect...but again without adding the screw (are you kidding?). Functionally that super enlarged lever makes for a LESS effective levering action when operated as as "regular" gun--which again is what I'd recommend if you get one...and consider that less functional aspect just the cost of doing Hollywood business! But it does look cool on the mantle :)