Speedloaders SUCK!

WESHOOT2

since '76

I've never had an HKS spill its rds; can't say the same for my Safarilands :D

I currently have HKSs for: S&W M38 (2), GP100 (12), 357 Redhawks (9), 41 Redhawk (8), 44 Redhawk (12)(also used with my 45 Colt Redhawk, but it's been suggested I'd get better results with the M-25-5).
All counts are approximate; I gotta lotta speedloaders.
All (except the M38) get tested in USPSA; A33102.

That said, in real life I just wore (wear?) more than one gun.
Really.

I have never heard of a civilia CCW reload....but since a speed strip takes up little room in my watch pcoket I carry one just the same...and they are pretty fast after some practice...2,2,1 snap! If you have time to reload you will most likely have cover and distance anyway...and in a civilian scenario, your Reeboks should should be your speedlaoder...;)

The Terminator

I have had mine in my left front pocket for about 6 months now. They only came loose one time, and only one came loose at that. While not known for swiftness, they are indeed much faster than trying to reload one at time. They don't seem too bulky to me.

2125807gripreduced5.JPG

BillCA

First of all, I typically carry one or two speedloaders in the right jacket pocket of a nylon windbreaker. My SureFire flashlight balances out the look of the jacket so it doesn't look odd.

The advantage is the weight in the right pocket gives the jacket some weight when you sweep it away from your holster to draw.

HKS speedloaders seem to come in two types - tight (quiet) and loose (rattlers). The loose ones work better for newer guns with sharp chamber shoulders as it allows a little flex for the rounds to find their own chambers.

Safariland loaders, as much as I like 'em, need a carrier. The few times I've used them in a pocket I've had to pick loose rounds out of the pocket.

Also remember that speed loaders are just quicker that reloading loose rounds for most people. You do need to practice with them under different situations however.

tex45acp

"Marko,
Does that Desantis carrier work with Safariland speedloaders as well as HKS?"

Parrothead,

I dont think it will handle a Safariland speedloader due to its design....at least the one I have probably will not. I would imagine you would have to have one custom made. I do know there are some made by Safariland, but I do not think they are carried like the DeSantis is. Here is mine for my 41mag Redhawk!!

NewHolster1s.jpg

stiffnecked

I have carried Safariland speedloaders in my pocket for years. Never once have I had to pick up loose rounds. If they are loaded right and you hear the lock click no problem. If you reach in your pocket and start playing with thing then maybe you have a problem. I used to have the HKS speedloaders but once I found the ease of using the Safarilands I sold all my knobs.

trespass

try moonclip conversion

check out tk custom web site
and his moon clip conversion...
I find these things very useful..
might light and easier to pack than a
traditional speedloader and
quicker to service also...
with a j frame the
reolver in one pocket and
a moonlip or 2 in other
is easy to carry...

Desert01

I use a Bianchi that also splits the rounds 3 on each side of the belt with Safariland Comp 1's (Colt Agent) Comp 2 Dan Wesson. No issuses

Bulldozer

I've probably used almost every speedloader and ammo pouch on the market over the past several years.

DSC00280.jpg

Hume Pack-Six speedloader pouches. Using Safariland Comp I and Comp IIs. I've just never gotten as fast with a Strip as I am with the Safrailands. Ditto for HKS -- that knob just slows me down enough to make a difference in my performance. They hold all six rounds in front of the belt. Not the slimmest design, but surely the most secure, and easiest to pull from aside from the Del Fatti SLC-2. Holster is a Wild Bill's Summer Heat IWB, Belt is made by Tucker -- built like a tank!

DSC00281.jpg

Hume Pack-Sixpouches in brown. Cost was nice -- just under 20 a pop. Holster is a Hume 715 IWB and belt is a Tucker.

BROWNCARRYGEAR.jpg

The Del Fatti SLC-2 is the one in the rear of the photo. In MY experience, simply the best speedloader pouch on the market that I've come across. Also, not cheap at all. Cunningham's unorthodox horizontal pouch (no pic of this one) comes in a close second -- and is half the price of the Del Fatti. Belt scabbard is an Alessi.

BLACKCARRYGEAR.jpg

The Del Fatti SLC-2 in this photo is open and exposed, showing the plastic retainer rng riveted to the leather that holds the loader in place above and behind the belt. Absolutely the most slimming design I've ever worn. Does not bulge even under a lightweight shirt. His ISP-4 also vanishes into the recess behind my hip (IWB) and even is unobtrusive in crossdraw in summer weight clothing.

Other designs I have used... DeSantis A30 Split-Six that straddles the belt. Not so good with Safarilands, but just dandy with HKS. The 2x2x2 or 3x3 slide pouches are alright and can be worked up to a fairly fast speed, but you're still slower than ANY loader and in the same league (almost) as with strips. The dump pouches without strips are misery. My fingers just cannot juggle all six cartridges and load at once. cartidge loops on a belt slide are alright and flat, but you'll be doing the old 2x2x2 routine. Mernickle makes a solid loader pouch but it places the entire loader (like the HUme) in front of the belt. The cheap nylon pouches don't appeal to me.

I've not had a Safariland dump rounds in my pocket or drop them in the field. Had it happen once with an HKS -- probably got hun up on keys in same pocket. The old Dade models were known to spill their loads. Not an entirely pleasant scenario to imagine or experience. Best bet if carrying loaders in a pocket -- keep the loaders in their own d----d pocket and then you're almost sure to be fine.

samsmix

Thank you all. Your tips and advice will keep my M-15 pulling off duty CCW work for a while.

Sadly, the S&W M-327 is not going on the job. It will pull nightstand duty and serve as a great BBQ gun, but my new job is a 9/40/45 sort of place. Although I could find a wheelgun to shoot any of these I should get with the autoloader program. I may go with an XD-45, Glock, or maybe a Para-ord P-14 LDA. I thought of going classic and using a Mil-spec 1911, but soon I would be in the same boat as I am with a revolver.

Don't worry though, for HD & CCW my wifes and my .38s and .357s will still be hard at work.