Speedloaders SUCK!

samsmix

How do you concealed carry these things? They are bulky as heck, and if you drop an HKS speedloader in a pants pocket and walk around with it, it gets all loose and sloppy.

Mind you I can use 'em fast, but they are tough to carry when I'm off duty.....He he, DOODY!

Haterade

Just get a speedloader pouch with a loop or beltclip. Most people carry extra magazines in pouches for the same reason you don't like carrying your speedloader in a pants pocket.

Mosin44az

What caliber are we talking about? If .38/.357, I have found Bianchi speed strips to work well, at least they are flat. Not quite as fast as a speedloader but if you load two at a time from the leading edge, not horrible, and at least it's a reload.

parrothead2581

Have you tried the Safariland versions?

The Comp-1 is the smallest and for me, with .38s, easily fits in a pants pocket.

Unlinke the HKS version, the Safariland's have no knobs to twist. Just place it over the chambers, and push. I have yet to have any rounds magically pop out of them while in my pocket either.

Marko Kloos

They're bulky in a pocket, but they carry just fine in a belt carrier. I usually carry one speedloader in a DeSantis Second Six right in front of the gun, and four speedstrips in various pockets.

salvadore

I drop it in a jacket pocket just like the revolver, or a vest pocket in the summer. If you wear a vest with lotsa pockets you can carry your leatherman, cell, wallet and loose change too. People ask you if you're going fishing a lot tho.

Glenn E. Meyer

Interesting thread - I've used the HKS type with my 642, and 432 with no trouble. Recently I bought a Colt Cobra and found that the speedloader for this was a bear to get to snap close on the rounds. This was for two of them from different stores. Bah.

What's a good other brand?

samsmix

I can tell you for sure that the and Safariland Comp-series are superior for duty use (he he: Doody!) but as to their bulk and how to conceal it, the question still stands.

I am not averse to just tucking a gun into my waist, behind my strong-side hip on short outings. This pretty much leaves me throwing the speedloader in a pocket. I do not wear vests as they kind of advertize you are packing like a neon sign (this can at times be good, I guess). I also tried Bianchi's Lack-of-Speed Strips. I can load as fast from loose. The belt clip case ahead of the gun seems to be the best option, and one I will explore (Thanks Marko).

I do thank all of you for the advice. I was hoping to find something I had overlooked. Sadly, although I do love a good second act, I will most likely go to a flat sided auto for off duty & CCW use. The mags can be dropped into a pocket easily, as long as you make sure to keep them lint free.

samsmix

On a happier note, I just layed away a S&W 8 shot .357, a titanium gun from the Performance Center, to replace my aging M-15 for on duty use. I will carry it with 4 Comp-2 speedloaders and 8 loose crtridges (in belt loops).
It will be equiped with CT lasergrips, an EoTech holo sight, and back-up custom irons. All wrapped in a suitably modified safariland 6002 Tac Holster.

Hoo-RAH!

Rimrod

Safariland used to make a pouch that carried the loader so it straddled the belt, making it less bulky and easier to hide. I don't know if it still available or not.

Marko Kloos

The DeSantis carrier does that as well, and it has a hole in the top flap for clearing the speedloader knob. It's the lowest profile speedloader carrier I've found, and I've tried a bunch.

Deaf Smith

The best speed loader is another revolver. Sure you can spend lots of time getting fairly well with them, heck I made expert, SSR, with a Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4 wheelgun and Safariland speed loaders in Desantis split pouches BEHIND the holster (not in front like is allowed in the rules.) Still, a second wheelgun is faster, especially at night, moving, behind a car, being shot at...

Doug.38PR

I carry HKS speedloaders in my pocket all the time. 2 of them. Never had a problem in 2 years. The only problem I did have was yesterday when one of them actually released the bullets in my pocket (NEVER had that happened before). But to me, magazines, especially double stack ones, are bulkier than speedloaders. Oh well, to each his own.

gdeal

So Sad

This is the reason why I even have a Semi-Auto in addition to a Revolver when I like revolvers so much better.

cheygriz

I don't feel the need for a speedloader for CCW. If you know how to shoot, after 6 rounds, you'll have plenty of time to reload.