Speed Six

tekarra

Mr. Terminator,

Since you asked, here are a pair of 9mm Speed Sixes and a .357 Service Six.

DSCN0991.jpg

j frame

Wow, I'm glad I started this thread! I've always owned Smith revolvers, and this is my first foray into the double action Ruger revolver world, but I hope it's not the last. Got to find time and a way to get out and actually shoot the thing. Keep the pics coming, and the comments too! I really wish that mine had been in 9mm; it seems like a neat configuration. Can you put Tyler grip adapters on these things?

SwampYankee

I think $350 is right on - I've got three so I never pay more than $350 to add another to the collection. I CCW my Speed Six in .38 Special all the time. Shoots to point of aim, easy to handle, very comfortable to hold. Not sure what your trigger feels like but a little bit of proper polishing, a reduced power hammer AND trigger spring and a few hammer shims and the thing will feel like butter on a hot summer day: slick.

nodlenor

Mine looks just like Madmag,s & Blue Monster's only with a 4" BBL. and 38 SpL. Sweet, very sweet.
I bought mine for $200 several years ago. The seller has tried to buy it back several times but he never will.

SwampYankee

I bought my first Service Six for $180 about 4 years ago. It was ugly- blueing was destroyed. I sent it to Ford's Refinishing and for $240 they put hard chrome on it. So for $420, I got a deal. Just a magnificent firearm, freaking gorgeous....

WVfishguy

I've seen Speed Sixes go for $600. $350 is a very good deal, especially since they are no longer being made.
Here's mine - I also paid $350 but that's a fluke:
000_0027.jpg

I also have a Service Six, which originally had a square butt, but which someone converted into a round butt and cut the barrel down to 3", effectively turning a Service Six into a Speed Six. This gun has a bull barrel:
000_0021.jpg

The custom gun now has a trigger job and spurless hammer, and it pretty much the ultimate .357 carry revolver.
Here's the two together:
000_0004-3.jpg

boa2

The Terminator:

1)Yes, I'll post a picture of mt 2.75" Security-Six here asap, after I'm allowed to pick it up here in Kalifornia. This revolver is a ways out of town-so, it's gonna be about 3 weeks before I'll be able to get it.

2)Meanwhile, I'll post some pictures of my 3" Speed-Six which I'd found at a gun show about 7 years ago-still NIB! It was one of the very last Speed-Sixes produced in 1988 and was an over run of the USPS 3" Speed-Six. The serial number of this gun is higher than the highest serial number range listed on Ruger's web site!:
P1020155.jpg

P1020164.jpg

P1020160.jpg

SwampYankee

I also have a Service Six, which originally had a square butt, but which someone converted into a round butt and cut the barrel down to 3", effectively turning a Service Six into a Speed Six.

That may have been a factory conversion. I have the exact same thing. I have been told that Ruger experienced heavy demand for the Speed Sixes and less demand for the Service Sixes. Aside from the shape of the grip and the rollmark, they were identical. When they could not meet the demand for a Speed Six order fast enough, it was easy enough to grind down the grips and send out modified Police Service Sixes. it is unclear how many are floating around but there may be as few as a hundred and as many as a couple thousand.

If you contact Ruger and pay for a letter, they will give you a model number for the gun. If it is the scenario I describe above, your letter will come back with the Speed Six model number.

Frankly, I think anyone paying $600 for a Six is getting ripped off. There are so many of them floating around it is easy enough to get one at a reasonable price if you keep your eyes open.

gb6491

I'm a fan of the Speed Six, so it's a treat to see those being posted here:)
I'd like to pick up a stainless one at some point, but I'm well pleased with my blued one:
2ikejc0.jpg

Regards,
Greg

madcratebuilder

The DA Six series Rugers are the best they made IMHO. Prices have gone up considerably in the past two years. I should have bought more of them.

ss01jpg.jpg

Webleymkv

The Six Series DA's are, IMHO, the best balanced DA revolvers that Ruger ever made (though a 3" GP100 is pretty close). In my hands, they are the only medium frame DA wheelgun that can rival the balance of a S&W K-Frame.

j frame

gb6491, what are those grips? I need a set for my stainless version. After seeing that blued one of yours, it's got me lusting for one of those too!

zombie44

speedsix1.jpg

Picked this one up not too long ago for about $275, lots of nicks and scratches but shoots great and feels very solid!

roaddog28

Hi,

Security/Service/Speed Sixes will run between $350 to over $500 in California. In California gun owners generally pay more than just about any state. I paid $350 for Police Service Six 4 inch and $375 for a Ruger Security Six Stainless 2.75. Both with the original grips but no box. Speed Sixes in the 2.75 to 3 inch sizes are running high $475 to over $500.

Bottom line: $350 is not a bad price.
Howard

old bear

Had a 2 1/2" blued speed six with a Burns and Martin lightening holster years ago. Loaned it to a friend who was the evening manager of a super market in a less than upscale area. He left town one day on a "business trip" ;) and never returned. Never saw Joe or my revolver again. Gosh I miss that revolver.

j frame

Finally got some pics to post today. Not good quality with a phone, but the best I could do.

Attachments

• ruger speed six stainless.jpg
    ruger speed six stainless.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 30
  • ruger speed six.jpg
    ruger speed six.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28

boa2

J frame:

That's a beauty of a Speed-Six! The wood graining in the grips is especially nice! It's a keeper!:)