Speed loaders

SAWBONES

I've used both the Safariland and HKS "speedloaders" extensively in 5-shot S&W J-frames and Ruger SP101s.

There's really no comparison.

The Safariland Comp loaders are altogether superior.

Lightweight, stable (no rattling cartridges like HKS), no knob to turn; just push then drop the empty loader, then close the cylinder.

marv

Guess I'll have to send my new Safariland 5rd loader back. Have to use pliers to turn the knob when I fill it and then it won't release the rounds into the gun. I have a couple HKS 36W loaders. One is marked 1 and the rounds are wiggly. The other is marked 2 and they are tight.
The OEM rubber grips on my M642 would not allow the use of a speedloader. Had to get a Hogue Bantam grip,

Webleymkv

While I've not seen it myself, Grant Cunningham reports that the manner in which Maxfire speed loaders are used can cause bent cranes and recommends against their use.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/speedloader_brands.html

While I suppose this is possible, I'd think that one would have to be rather, um, vigorous when using a Maxfire to bend a crane. Nonetheless, as I mentioned earlier, I find Maxfires to be awkward enough that I won't use them for any serious purpose regardless of their risk of bent cranes.