Speed loaders

haymaker

I haven't spent a lot of time practicing with speed loaders and the only ones I have are HKS. What do you all prefer, HKS, Safariland, 5 Star, MaxFire, etc.?

I want to spend more time with my revolvers. Ruger Securtity Six, Smith Models 15 and 66, and a Taurus 85.

Waspinator

safariland.. nothing to twist to release the rounds.. just push and close the cylinder, so easy. I just wish they were built a little stronger, I would say that is their weak point when compared to a hks.

357 Python

I have used HKS and Safariland but prefer HKS. Ihave used them much longer and am comfortable with their operation. The Safariland speedloaders I have are used by my wife for her home gun. They are slightly faster than the HKS but not by much.

Nick_C_S

(You didn't mention your purpose.)

When I conceal carry a revolver (about 15% of the time), it's a S&W 686+ (7-shot); and I don't carry any extra ammo - speedloaders or otherwise.

For IDPA competition, I use Safariland Comp III's (with a 6-shot 686). Comp III's aren't practical for conceal carry - they're strictly competition equipment. But they're really cool.

kawasakifreak77

Safari land as others have said.

You can be fast with any loader if you practice
When I was a boy I tried bowling pin shooting with a box stock S&W model 10. I could draw, drop five pins, reload & drop five more pins in 9 seconds. Thats nothing for the auto guys bit I felt pretty good. That was using an HKS speed loader you have to twist.

Sevens

I have never had the pleasure of using the Safariland spring-loaded competition speed loaders, but it's my understanding that the cylinder must be free for the device to work as you push the release button.

It seems to me that you end up with (not at all small!) differences in ejecting spent brass and loading new rounds when you use both of them, obviously, at different times.

This seems to me to invite trouble. Can anyone speak to this?

I'm a fan of the no-frills HKS. If these things can break or wear out, I'll have to learn that info from someone else, cause I just don't see it happening with mine.

MrBorland

Sevens said:
but it's my understanding that the cylinder must be free for the device to work as you push the release button.

"Free" in what way? And which release button - to release the rounds from the speedloader or to open the cylinder? The cylinder obviously has to be open, but it doesn't have to be free to rotate for CompIIIs & Jetloaders to work.

Sevens said:
It seems to me that you end up with (not at all small!) differences in ejecting spent brass and loading new rounds when you use both of them, obviously, at different times.

I'm not understanding. Use both of what?

BigJimP

I prefer the Jet ..../ Safariland would be my 2nd choice..../ personally I hate the HKS..( and I have all 3 for most of the guns I shoot ...)....

shortwave

OP, as you are finding out, the choice of preferred speed loaders is as about as widespread as the preferred choice of pistol they are used in.

My preference is the HKS for larger revolvers but have switched to speed strips for the smaller, J frame revolvers.

dgludwig

I've used the affordable HKS for many years now with good success. I bought a couple of Maxifires for a five-shot revover that no one else makes speed loaders for (a Taurus Model 415) and I've been disappointed in how they work. I've dubbed them "slow loaders".

colbad

One thing to look at when considering speed loaders is your grips. I use both safariland and HKS occasionally and they both do the job with rubber grips on my SW640. However when I bought some fancy exotics they did not work very well and I went to speed strips.

Sarge

Safariland hands down for the little 5 shooters, or any other gun they can be had for. HKS for everything else and a Speed Strip or two in the pocket is good medicine for all of them.

Webleymkv

In order of preference: Safariland Comp II, Safariland Comp I, HKS, Speed Strip (Bianchi or Tuff Products), loose rounds, Maxfire.

The Safarilands are equally easy to load the gun with but the Comp II gets a slight edge for being easier to load the cartridges into (Comp I is made for models that the Comp II isn't though). HKS is somewhat slower and more cumbersome for me to use, but they are the most affordable next to speed strips and are offered for the widest array of models. Speed strips are convenient to carry and affordable, but no faster than loose cartridges. Maxfires are just awful: awkward to use, not compatible with most pouches, and liable to lose cartridges if carried loose in a pocket.

I've just bought a revolver that is cut for moonclips but I haven't used them enough to come to a decision about them yet. I've never tried Five-Star speedloaders either, but they would appear to work about like HKS albeit much more expensive. Finally, I know some people rather like the old Dade speedloaders, but those are long out of production and I've never even seen one in person.

44 AMP

Staff
HKS over the others, for me.

Models to fit what I own, big +
cost

I have used the push button types, but in my life, the tiny advantage in speed they offer over the HKS is unimportant. Also at one point or another, every push button/spring loaded type I have used has had rounds come loose. Sometimes all of them. Carry them in a belt pouch, ok. But I don't wear a belt pouch, nor a uniform. Drop a speedloader (or two) in a pocket, use the HKS. Never had one of them lose a round.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it.