Son needs 1911 advice

44 AMP

Staff
My son just called, he is thinking of getting his first handgun. He is considering a Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP, and was asking about if they are good guns, and the price $569.

He has experience whith my handguns, including my Colt 1911, so this is not a "first handgun" thing, just the first one he is going to buy and own himself.

I have no personal experience with Springfields, and don't know about the price, but he says it seems reasonable compared to the other pistols in the shop. He is in Arizona, I am not.

Advice? suggestions? anecdotes?

And please don't bother trying to talk us into another type of gun. He wants a 1911A1, he just wants to know which one is good for the price. His other choice is a Colt series 70 (he didn't tell me the price on that one). I am not real keen on the series 70, I prefer the older guns, but I like them better than the series 80s.

So how about some help? Thanks.

benny27

Springfield 1911

I have owned two, and they're excellent, I'm assuming by the price it is a mil-spec, if it's a stainless that's a hell of a deal, they do tend to get a little pricey $700-$1,000 for different models. There's nothing wrong with a standard Springfield mil-spec, although I do like the stainless, but hey that's just me. So all in all the grade is A+...good luck:D

Sturmgewehre

You can't go wrong with Springfield. I would say they are the best maker of 1911's from entry level all the way up to full blown custom. They simply rock.

sholling

Springfield is one of the three better quality mass producers of 1911s. The other two being Kimber and Smith & Wesson. The base of the Springfield line is the GI and it's pretty much your father's and grandfather's 1911. Next up from there, is the Mil-Spec, which I consider the entry level for a shooter. It has the lowered and flared ejection port, beveled magazine well, polished feed ramp, better sights etc that make it a better pistol. My only quibble is with the parkerized finish on the non-stainless version. There are no parkerized after market upgrades and everything you do to it looks tacked on. I really recommend that he goes with stainless over parkerized.

BillCA

+1 for Springfield's 1911s. I have their "loaded" stainless steel Champion (Commander) and it's an excellent gun.

The Colt Series 70 is probably the best of the 1911's. If it's an original Series 70, the first thing to do is replace the collet-style bushing with a solid bushing. If it's one of the newer "retro" Series 70's, they've already done that at the factory.

The next thing he'll need (a Christmas hint, dad) is a couple of Wilson 47D magazines to ensure excellent feeding.

Lurch37

The Colt Series 70 is probably the best of the 1911's. If it's an original Series 70, the first thing to do is replace the collet-style bushing with a solid bushing. If it's one of the newer "retro" Series 70's, they've already done that at the factory.

I agree totally with Bill on that one.

I havent had a whole lot of experience with Springfield Armory other than a MIL-Spec job that a guy talked me out of. There is a used SS S.A. 1911 down here at the pawn shop priced at $499 that I have been looking at putting on layaway.

If he is choosing between a S.A. or a Colt, either would make a fine handgun, and $569 seems a fair price but how much is the Colt...maybe it's a better deal.

solz56

You can't go wrong with Springfield's 1911s. They also have outstanding customer service if anything should happen to it.

yomama

milspec

SA milspec is a great gun for that price range. He won't need new grips, the ones they put on are beautiful now. Comes with a great case, one extra mag (not like they are hard to find). The milspec also has the bigger sights.

Only complaint, one of mine out of two had extraction issues, cleared up with a new Ed Brown extractor.

If the price is for a govt., then it's pricey. If it's for a Mil-Spec, then it's about average for a parkerized; good deal for a stainless. If it's for the loaded model, then he better high-tail it back to the dealer and buy it.

I bought my parkerized Loaded 5in. with cocobolo grips for a shade under $700.

My thoughts are these:

1. Stainless is easier to buff scratches out. Consider this if he, God forbids, makes the "idiot scratch". Although not corrosion proof, it may be generally more corrosion resistant than the parkerized if he plans to holster often.

There are no parkerized after market upgrades and everything you do to it looks tacked on.

Sholling may be correct here, but I thought Springfield could parkerize your add ons to match your gun.:confused:

I like the parkerized more purely due to asthetics. Stainless is nice and all, but I think it botches the natural look of 1911s. Purely my taste.

2. Solz said it best. Fantastic customer service. I don't have experience with Colt, so I can't compare.

3. The main reason I chose the Loaded over an original Colt series 70 is that someday I might do some custom work on it. Although Springers are nice guns, I can't bring myself to modifying a 70. First, it appears that the 70 models are increasing in value over time if left original. Second, if I had a '50 Mercury in my garage that's in pristine condition I think it would be blasphemy to take a cutting torch to it. Call me a purist, but chopped and channeled looks OK, but it wouldn't ever be the same again nostalgia wise...

The next thing he'll need (a Christmas hint, dad) is a couple of Wilson 47D magazines to ensure excellent feeding.

Couldn't agree more...

IM_Lugger

Son needs 1911 advice
tell him to get a Beretta... j/k I like 1911's too.

If he's looking at mil-spec or GI I'd tell him to get something else -PT1911 is a better gun IMO for the price. But Loaded Springfield is a nice gun, Kimber, DW also worth considering.

Anything is doable - for a price.

Point well taken. I do think you're right if you're the do-it-yourselfer. Then, when you get all the mods done, you can reparkerize, blue, or even dura-kote it...Of course, one needs to revert back to your statement....:)

44 AMP

Staff
Well he called and told me what he got.....

He was set on a 1911, and while he was asking me about the Springfield, what he went and bought is the S&W 1911! He said he paid about $800, but he liked it better.

He says he thinks he needs more practice, as he has only put 100 rounds through it so far, and the best group he was able to shoot is 2.5", for 7 rounds! (25 yards)

I told him 2 1/2 inches was pretty good, and the gun may not do better than that, but he seems to think it will. So, anybody have one of these? How well does yours shoot? He is shooting Blazer right now, says no point in shooting reloadable brass until he gets his loading setup, and Blazer is cheaper.

solz56

what he went and bought is the S&W 1911!

Good choice. The only problem I have with the S&Ws is the external extractor, but for me that's more of a cosmetic thing (to me an external extractor doesn't look right on a 1911). But I haven't met an unhappy S&W 1911 buyer yet. :)

sholling

He was set on a 1911, and while he was asking me about the Springfield, what he went and bought is the S&W 1911! He said he paid about $800, but he liked it better.
Your son did good!!! In my opinion S&W makes the very best of the current crop of production 1911s. This coming from a man that owns both a Springfield and a Kimber, and now (still waiting to pick it up) a tricked out S&W 1911. $800 is a good price for a new base model SW1911.

He says he thinks he needs more practice, as he has only put 100 rounds through it so far, and the best group he was able to shoot is 2.5", for 7 rounds! (25 yards)
Dang fine shooting. You taught that man well!

I told him 2 1/2 inches was pretty good, and the gun may not do better than that, but he seems to think it will. So, anybody have one of these? How well does yours shoot?
Here are two links that should answer you. Note that in the first article that the S&W is by far the least expensive tested and it did very well.

1911 Shoot-off

S&W SW1911

The Body Bagger

My SA 1911A1 shot about 8" low at 25yds. It was sent back twice and now it shoots fine. Overall quality is good and reliability after the initial break in has been terrific.