Solvent/Lube Throwdown

NWPilgrim

Thanks for the picture of SLF-0 in action, Count! I have seen so many references to "Lubriplate" and people seem to think it is all one product. Lubriplate is the BRAND, not the product name, and they make hundreds or thousands of various oils and greases all with the Lubriplate brand name. I think the most common is the cheaper Lithium based grease that does oxidize more easily than the aluminum and calcium based greases (at least as explained by Cunningham).

Take it easy on that pistol though. :eek: I would use about 1/100 what you got on there. May function fine but don't get near a shedding cat. If attacked y a cougar your Glock could jam up with The Mother Of All Furballs. :D

C0untZer0

I've been totally globbing grease on my Glocks.

I guess I kinda wanted to see what they would do. I had so much DP Litium packing grease on one of em that grease splattered on my firing hand on the first shot. They never failed. I also tried to get them as dry as possible, not using degreaser but just wiping off all the oil with a cotton cloth, and they fire just fine when I fire them dry too.

C0untZer0

The other thing that I've been doing because of what I've read on this forum...

I've been taking canuba car wax and waxing the slide.

I think it puts a protective film on the slide that protects against rust, and it gives me better grip. The slide isn't as slippery as if I had oiled it and wiped it down.

Daekar

CZ - I have wondered about waxing myself! I actually have some wax, can't remember the name, which is billed as good for wood and metal. I tried it on wood and it seemed a run-of-the-mill wood wax, but I didn't have the guts to try it on metal... it might be a pain to get off if it DIDN'T do the job. If you continue to use wax, please report your results! More wisdom never hurt anybody, and it just might help! :D

insomni

That Lubriplate stuff looks like TW25b, graphite cream lube. Works fantastically in a dusty desert environment!

If humidity is a factor, I still prefer good ol BreakFree CLP because it helps fight the rust

zxcvbob

I use Dexron transmission fluid. I don't like calling it "ATF" when using it on guns. I haven't tried anything else yet, so I can't really compare them.

Someone mentioned wax. I put a little Minwax paste wax on the slide, barrel, and magazines on my newly-purchased Walther P1. They looked like they'd been degreased. The wax helped the color (what is that finish, Parkerized or just enamel paint?), repels water a little, and it's not slippery or messy.

armsmaster270

Breakfree CLP

I used it as a military Armorer on M16's, 45's, 9mm's, M-60's, M-203's, ETC. I use it on all my Personal weapons.

brentfoto

I like Breakfree CLP because my gunsmith, who I respect, likes it, and because I believe there's significant hx behind it, having undergone extensive government competitive trials and apparently having won the contract for the military.