So who open carries?

Wolfeye

I OC when I go hiking in Alaska. It's nice; the gun's right there, and you can use a full-sized grip and have a long barrel. I've had locals ask where my gun was if they saw me hiking without it. :D

Here in WA, I inquired with the state park service, dept. of fish & wildlife, and the state patrol. Their general advice was to CC. OC would end up with hippie hikers screaming & using their cellphones to tattle on me to the authorities, even though OC is supposedly legal.

JohnPaul

In UTAH

..where I live it is legal to OC. But, I dont want to see all the strange glances and have people and cops hassle me about it. I work in a med. facility with 1000's of patients many of them are cops and we chat about guns a lot. I have asked lots of them what the law is regarding OC and guess what? most of them tell me they dont know or that it is not legal in utah. I dont mean any disrespect to them but it shows what the general attitude is and I think its just asking for trouble. I CC pretty much all the time and I OC in my house.

seaville

open carry

I open carry in the woods or when I'm fishing creeks or rivers, at the lake I carried hidden in the boat.
I feel in todays political climate that it is important for more good guys to carry concealed in the public. I really don't want the average citizen to know that I am armed. There are liberal groups that will look at me as if I am a criminal or show off. That's not good for our cause of 2nd ammendment rights.
I saw a dangerous scenario on a tv show- the store was being robbed, a local armed good guy came in unaware-- a patron who knew him was in the store-- the patron yelled to the armed good guy-- "get your gun and shoot him!"-- the bad guy, of course, was alerted and shot the good guy..
With more good guys conceal carrying, more bad guys don't know who to mug.IMO
That's not to say that a show of weapons is not called for in some situations.
At my home I have showed weapons on at least on 4 occasions, but have never had to point at the bad guys.

Wrothgar

I find it surprising that Texas does not allow OC (I'm new to the gun law world). I don't think I would do it too often if it were legal - as others have said, that just paints a big "Shoot me first!" sign over you.

Also, if I do decide to open carry, I'm gonna go all out and walk around with one of these strapped over my shoulder.

SW1911CT

We've all seen the videos on trutv and spike where a robber literally runs or bursts into a convenience store with his pistol already out and loaded and sweeps it over any customers in the store to intimidate them and then lines it up on the clerks chest. If that happened while you were standing there with your soda and bag of pork rinds you will probably be the first one shot when he sees your shooter hanging on your belt. You can't tell me that is a far fetched situation.

That being said I do occasionally OC. It let's the clerks at the gun shops know you're not just another casual browser and they usually give me better service if I have a > $1K rig on my belt already.

Last edited:

imthegrumpyone

I myself can not figure out why any one would open carry, except if your out hunting or working at gun shop. I really believe you give up your "ace in the hole". And that's not counting scaring the hell out of little old ladies and ect. I just don't like letting every one know my cards I'm holding.;)

Conradm

grumpybutt, I think it's case by case in that regard... Sure if I lived in a big city with lots of crime I would probably CC. But here in Boise, where people are pretty mild to begin with, means I probably don't have to worry about being targeted for OCing.

dabigguns357

I open carry at home and property,while hunting,fishing,and boating.While in general public nope.I have seen what happens when open carry is used in places like walmart and such.I have seen managers ask them to leave while freaking others out.

freakshow10mm

Walmart's company policy is that if the manner in which they are carrying in legal in the state, they are fine with it, open or concealed. Their policy is not to evict customers who carry legally.

mrray13

i would quote freakshow10mm's whole post, but it's huge. that said, it hit the nail square!

if carrying concealed is such a tatical advantage, why don't the military and law enforcement require their personel to carry concealed? i know when i clock in, on my duty belt there is a sidearm in plainsight for all to see. it's there as both a deterrent and as an advantage to get it out as quickly as possible if needed. same for my ASP and OC spray. i mean if my sidearm is concealed, shouldn't my other deterrents to physical threat/actions also be concealed?

no, truth is, OC is more tatically sound then CC. nothing is between you and your sidearm that can cause a misdraw, extra steps or worse, extra time to clear your holster. not saying that one's bad technique can't cause the same problems with OC, but it's alot less likely.

and to those who are saying " I just don't like letting every one know my cards I'm holding", why? you want to bet your life you're quicker then the BG? this isn't cards, this is life and i'll wager the BG has more practise being a BG then you do actually getting your CCW out under duress. i'd much rather let the BG know ahead of time i have an ace and let him/her go look for someone not carrying one around for the world to see.

what about those that aren't detered by an OC weapon? chances are, if they aren't detered by the fact you are OC, you'd never get your CCW out in time to change their attitude. but they are also the execption rather then the rule. most people who are criminals are looking for the easy score, the easy target, they sure as hell don't want to work, or fight, for anything. and by OC, you are more times then not, eliminated from their choice of targets.

all that is my opinion and ymmv

NavyLT

I have seen what happens when open carry is used in places like walmart and such. I have seen managers ask them to leave while freaking others out.

And this is what really aggravates me about this argument. Are these people freaked out over the pen visibly carried in a shirt pocket? Yet I can stab you in the neck with a pen and kill you. Are they freaked out about the bats sold in the sporting goods section? Yet I can kill you with the baseball bat. Heck, are they freaked out over the car that everyone drives? Yet their chances of getting killed by an automobile are way higher than getting killed by a firearm.

So, first off, freaking out over an inanimate object being securely worn on my belt is rediculous. And instead of the manager's catering to the sheeple I would love to see a manager tell a sheeple, "Sir, Ma'am, I understand that you are concerned about my other customer over there. However, that other customer over there is making purchases from me. He is contributing to my profit. He is doing nothing illegal. I choose to not bother a paying customer who is not enganged in any illegal activity and allow him to continue to contribute to the profits which enable me to remain employed unhampered in his efforts to spend his money here."

BTW, after having been one of "those people" who was asked to leave a restaurant by the police, supposedly at the request of the restaurant, I followed up with a letter to the restaurant the next day. I immediately got a call back from them stating that they apologized for what happened, it was not them who called the police, they had no desire for me to leave their restaurant, and please come back with my friends, family and firearm. The following weekend 8 open carriers and myself had a wonderful lunch there and the restaurant really went out of their way to cater to us and accomodate us.

Housezealot

Surprise is an attack, not a defense. Name one army who trains their soldiers to conceal their arms while on patrol.
freakshow, I have to disagree, If I have some one attempting to harm me or mine letting them know I am armed puts them at an advantage. they would definetly deal with the armed individual first, also I don't think we are talking about soldiers, I for one am a legally armed civilian.

mrray13

they would definetly deal with the armed individual first,

i seriously, seriously doubt that. pose this question to yourself..

you're a BG..who do you pick on? the guy/gal you KNOW is carrying, or do you move along and look for someone who is not? and yeah, you can be armed yourself..doesn't matter. but as the BG are you going to KNOWINGLY risk attacking someone is at least equally as armed as you, or do you pass on to the one who doesn't look to be carrying? which is the easier target

do wolves attack the guard dogs or the sheep?

Carrying a concealed firearm presents to a criminal that I am unarmed.

Why's that? I certainly wouldn't assume that in Florida. They have about fifteen times as many CCW applications in process right now as there are peace officers in all of Missouri.

No, the hyena can see the lion’s teeth and knows to stay well clear.

Or the armed man sees the "teeth" knows whom to shoot first.

There are some who criticize open carry and claim it will make you more of a target or ‘the first one shot’ when a robber walks into the 7-11, despite the absolute lack of credible evidence that this has ever happened.

Absolute lack of credible evidence? You have studied every shooting in the country?

Well, last year in Kirkwood, MO, a distraught citizen headed for the City Hall with a stolen gun, intent on mayhem. The first person he shot was an armed policeman in the parking lot.

If the robber walks in and sees that you’re armed, his whole plan has encountered an unexpected variable.

I can't tell you whether the Kirkwood shooter expected to encounter another armed policeman in the council chamber or not, but if he did change his plan at all, it was to shoot the policeman in the chamber second.

In bank robberies where he might expect to see an armed guard he will have already factored that possibility into his plan, but only for the armed guard, not for open or concealed carry citizens.

Doesn't that simply mean that the armed guard is more likely to be shot than the concealed carry citizen?

Back in the 7-11, if he sees someone is armed he is forced to either significantly alter the plan or abort it outright.

Yep--he may be forced to shoot the armed person for hs own self-preservation.

That's what happened in a Stop and Rob case recently related by Mas Ayoob. A policeman unexpectedly walked in during a robbery. One of the robbers died, but so did the policeman. Why wouldn't a citizen carrying openly elicit the same response?

Robbing is an inherently apprehensive occupation, and one that doesn’t respond well to instant modifications. He is not prepared to commit murder when he only planned for larceny.

Armed robbery and larceny are two entirely different things. If the robber were not prepared to shoot, why would he be pointing a gun?

Either way, if someone in the 7-11 is unexpectedly armed, how many others might be similarly adorned and where might they be? Does this armed individual have a partner who is likewise armed behind him in the parking lot, someone who is watching right now?

So, there may be others carrying? Possibly carrying concealed?

Self preservation compels him to abort the plan for one that is less risky.

Or reduce the risk by eliminating the obvious threat.

So we see that the logic matches the history; open carriers are not the first ones shot because it doesn’t make any sense that they would be.

I don't know where you get your "history", but it differs from the cases I know about.

And common sense tells me that anyone intent on committing an armed criminal action is going to shoot the armed threats first.

Another common criticism of open carry is that the firearm itself will be the target of theft, prompting as criminal to attack simply to get the gun from you. Like the previous example of being the first one shot in a robbery, above, this is despite the fact that there is no credible evidence it happens.

Several police officers I know dispute that.

The fact that you may not have heard of something does not mean that law enforcement officers are not well aware of it.

They train to avoid having their weapons taken. And the reason they carry backup weapons is primarily because their service weapons may be taken.

It also blindly ignores the more obvious fact that anything you possess can make you the target of a crime, be it a car, a watch, ...

Well, carjackings are a major problem... But which do you think would make a more desirable item to steal, a watch or a handgun?

The several policemen I know tell me that there are three reasons they are instructed to carry concealed when they are off duty: (1) so they are not shot first in the event that they come upon a criminal action; (2) so they are not ambushed by someone after their weapon; (3) to reduce the incidence of "man with a gun" calls that have to be investigated by an already busy police force.

I don't know why any of those wouldn't be a very good reason for the citizen to follow suit.

Now, when the uniformed policeman is on duty, he is readily identifiable as an armed person anyway, and he carries radios, cuffs, tasers, etc.

And he is sworn to uphold the law, and he is trained to do so.

And while he is doing so, he is at risk while doing a dangerous job.

I open carry when I am hunting or something that will involve me carrying a long gun openly. Sometimes I end up in a store on these days and I do not conceal the gun then. I sometimes open carry at my hunting club. I should open carry more, but as of yet I do not have the balls to do it regularly.

to reduce the incidence of "man with a gun" calls that have to be investigated by an already busy police force.
Funny, I don't believe this was a problem in 1850. Wonder why:)

OhioAAA! Having a firearm in a financial lending institution is eillegal unless you are employed there as a armed gard, or you are a LEO. It's a fed. law no matter what state or territory you are standing in. Your banker can't even have a working gun in a shadow box on his wall. OC or CC it doesn't matter in the bank.

As someone who goes to a bank with no handgun not permitted sign b/c it gives me the option to carry there I want to see this law. I believe Ohioans for CC listed 5/3 bank as one of their disliked businesses b/c they do have the signs which wouldn't be fair if it was a federal law.
I also believe a man with a CCW recently stopped a bank robbery somewhere in the country and no one brought up the issue.

mrray13

And the reason they carry backup weapons is primarily because their service weapons may be taken.

nope. i carry a backup in case my primary fails. if my primary is taken, chances are i won't have time to retrieve a backup.

The several policemen I know tell me that there are three reasons they are instructed to carry concealed when they are off duty: (1) so they are not shot first in the event that they come upon a criminal action; (2) so they are not ambushed by someone after their weapon; (3) to reduce the incidence of "man with a gun" calls that have to be investigated by an already busy police force.

1)nope

2)nope

3)yep...that's the reason we have to carry concealed off duty. not the first two.

this crap of being ambushed for your weapon, singled out for your weapon, is horsemanure. normal BG's aren't looking for confrontation, they are looking for easy targets and easy targets aren't armed. period. this instance here...

Well, last year in Kirkwood, MO, a distraught citizen headed for the City Hall with a stolen gun, intent on mayhem. The first person he shot was an armed policeman in the parking lot.

is the exception, not the rule. that person was bent on hurting people, not robbing people. yep, that Kirkwood shooter would have shot anyone with a gun, as that persons mission was to hurt people anyway.

Yep--he may be forced to shoot the armed person for hs own self-preservation.

That's what happened in a Stop and Rob case recently related by Mas Ayoob. A policeman unexpectedly walked in during a robbery. One of the robbers died, but so did the policeman. Why wouldn't a citizen carrying openly elicit the same response?

key words highlighted...unexpectedly walked in..so that's moot. yeah, that robber would probably have shot anyone walking in, armed or not. though i doubt a citizen walking in would have garnered the same response, something about a guy with a badge makes BG's nervous.

again, IMHO, if more people carried openly, we wouldn't have this arguement. we need to quit giving in for the sake of arguement and appeasing people who don't want us to carry, concealed or otherwise.