So where's the Alliant 2400?

Nick_C_S

why you threw in 300-MP as one of the Alliant powders in your “cache”

Long time no talk Sevens.

Because I use 300-MP for my 44 Marlin. I use a .431" Everglades 240gn JSP. It's the only slug that rifle will shoot straight and seems to like 300-MP.
Although I don't shoot these in my 44 revolvers (I have - it's brutal on this old man's hands), it's still technically a handgun cartridge.

So yeah, if I went all Alliant (and I'm seriously considering it), I would reluctantly dump the W296 and pick up 300-MP for both rifles. I already did the 300-MP work up in the Henry - works great. But I've been using W296 in the Henry since I got it (2018, I think?) and I don't really see the need to change. Simply put: I just like the way it shoots; you know, "if it works . . ." Not only that, I have an emotional connection with W296 - been using it since 1985 - from the first time I tried it. It's a "one trick pony" but it sure does that one trick really well. And it also smells good at the range :).

Nick_C_S

. . . described 2400 as an "old man powder".

Yeah, I suppose it is. Ironically enough, it's not old to me. Despite being a handgun loader since 1984, I first tried 2400 in March 2016. Great stuff. Like just about every Alliant powder, it's energetic, ignites easy, and can be downloaded (within reason, of course) for a wide range of uses.

And as I get older and less tolerant to recoil, 2400 seems to be the right choice for my full-throttle (to me) 357 Magnum ammo (as described in post #14). 44 Magnum is already a lost cause however :p. I'm now loading 200gn (as opposed to 240) slugs with modest charges (nowhere near max) charges of AA#7 and BE-86 for the top end of my recoil tolerance. I do keep a few 240 grainers with 2400 (if I can find more) just for the novelty of it. But I won't shoot more than a cylinder's worth per range trip. When you hand starts to tingle, that's nature telling you to stop now or get nerve damage.

As for magnum primers: Back in 2017, I did some testing with 158gn/357/2400 using both mag and standard primers (CCI's 550 & 500). I got more velocity with less signs of pressure using standard primers. Standard primers seemed to be the best of both worlds. 2400 ignites easy. Just doesn't need a magnum primer. At least, as my experience tells me.

Metal god

Yeah my 44mag is the only cartridge I need LP magnum primers for because of the H-110 . Id love to scrap the LPM primers all together.