So what if the government offered you a rifle?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Vermont, I do too! I had all intentions of being a lifer and would have been facing some goofed up battles since 1988.
I hope it is clear that I would jump fast and hard to the defense my state from a foreign power or tyranny type invasion from the USG.
Brent

Arabia

Please help me out here. I am not sure what you are trying to get at. Are you saying we should do away with our current military structure and go back to the early American Militia model? Or are you wanting the Israeli model where the government issues firearms to people who need them for personal protection in certain parts of the country?
Personally I do not like either option.

Hkmp5sd

How about this one?

1. All honorably discharged veterans get to take one single user (no crew served weapons) full auto or semi-auto weapon of their choice home with them.

2. The government will supply a local range for practice.

3. The government will supply all ammunition for practice and use.

4. The veteran will use said weapon in the defense of his/her community against threats resulting from crime or natural disaster and/or any other emergency the veteran feels requires his assistance.

Buzzcook

Arabia I'm glad to give what help I can.
This is not intended as a real world situation.
I'm fine with the military system we now have with the exception of the current civilian leadership.
We do have some serious problems with man power shortages and over used troops. Instituting a citizen soldier military won't solve that problem.

As I stated this is intended as a modernized version of the Militia Act of 1793. A law that was passed by the same people that would pass the 2nd amendment.

rbrgs

While the Militia has been neglected since the 1830s, it's still there.
I think we need to encourage private ownership of our standard military rifle, and have folks learn on their own how to shoot them. These were the original purposes of the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (once part of the US Army and in charge of selling surplus rifles) and the National Rifle Association (started by Civil War vets who were appalled by how poorly urban recruits could shoot).
These institutions still exist; I bought my first M1 Garand from the old DCM, I bought another (as well as a Bushmaster "service rifle") from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, now operating with a congressional charter, and with the same mission. And while the NRA ain't perfect, the complaints I've heard are often about how they cling to their original mission (training and competition) and aren't political enough.
Many people in our gun club would not be surprised to hear the governor on the radio asking for volunteers to muster out with personal weapons, it's happened before.

ajaxinacan

First off, absolutely yes. I took this deal once, I'd take it again. If you're afraid your government will send you to the wrong war, change your government, not your committment to do your duty.

I was raised with a sense of obligation to my country. I still feel it. Everything I have I owe to God, and second, to America. She has earned my loyalty.

No, I wouldn't. The last thing we need to do is give our government an unlimited supply of cannon fodder to meddle in other countries' affairs with. If a war that really needs to be fought comes along, I'll enlist voluntarily, but we haven't had one of those in centuries.

Not be be personal, but many years ago when I joined the Marine Corps during peacetime, I heard sentiments like this endlessly from my college-bound friends. They went on and on about how they would be "right there with me" if things ever went bad. Guess what. They went bad. None of my friends showed up.