So I want a leveraction...

Wayward_Son

For many reasons.

1. I love the .357 magnum. It's a reliable, show-stopping round with high velocity and a flat trajectory, available in a variety of factory loads with the option of shooting down to .38sp. So why not take a good thing and make it even better by giving it another 400-500 fps and thump at a longer range with more accuracy? Also, I recently purchased my Very First Gun, a S&W 686P four-inch. And it needs a companion.

2. I like the idea of shooting one box of bullets through both a revolver and a rifle. There's something about the practicality of using ONE ammunition in your handgun and long gun that really appeals to me for some reason.

3. Classic design. I'm looking at Marlin's 1894 Cowboy with it's 20" octagon barrel. The cross bolt safety doesn't bother me. I like the idea of high-capacity (10+1) with a fast action while still being able to keep the sights on the target without moving into the semi auto rifles.

So I've talked myself into this gun. Anyone care to talk me out? :)

I'd like this to be a multi-purpose rifle: fun at the range, hunting, and home defense if necessary. I do not intend to put a scope on it. This rifle in this caliber appears to have a realistic range of about 100 yards. If I'm hunting I'd really prefer to keep my shots under 75 yards, and my eyes are good enough for those ranges given plenty of practice at the range. I would keep my hunting to small-smallish medium game like the smaller wild hogs and smaller whitetail here in SE Texas. I think this gun in this caliber would be reliable for those animals inside 100 yards.

Which brings up something else: Like I mentioned, I like the idea of using one box of ammo for both pistol and rifle. If I was back in Wyoming, hiking/hunting in a rugged, isolated area I wouldn't want to worry about multiple loads. If my rifle jams and I NEED my pistol, I want to keep things as simple as possible by having only one type of ammunition to load. No worrying about which pocket contains which load or anything like that. One bullet, two guns. I'm not saying this is right, or realistic, and there are probably many of you laughing at my naivete; all I can say is that this idea appeals to me on an instinctual basis. It just feels right.

With that being said, is there one factory bullet that can do it all? I'm thinking a 158grn JHP in full magnum. That should be heavy enough with both penetration and expansion for defense against two- and four-legged predators out of both the S&W and the Marlin. I think it will be big enough medicine for smaller hogs and deer. I'm currently looking at the Federal Premium SD round in 158-gn Hydra-Shok JHP. Is there a better factory round available? Different bullet type, different weight? Something that can meet all of my needs out of these two guns?

Gander Mountain has a 1894 Cowboy .357 on the shelf. It's been there for at least six weeks. They want $779 for it, and I think they're insane. Then again, the other two dealers I've talked to locally can give me a lower price but both of their distributors are out of stock. Can I talk Gander down? Will they haggle? I'd buy the gun for $700 (I know, that's still a high price) but nearly eight-hundred is ridiculous.

wdelack

I have one of the "limited edition" stainless steel Marlins in .357. This is the shorter barrel version, which gives you 8 rounds of .357 or 9 rounds of .38 Special in the mag tube. The little carbine is a boll-o-fun to shoot, and with hand loads I have been getting good results out to 100 yards. This has become one of my favorite guns to shoot...

MarlinScout.JPG

tINY

If you don't want a scope, take a look at the Puma rifles as well - more compact action and smooth once it's worked itself in a bit.

For ammo, full house 180gr is the way to go. If you reload, you can get hard-cast bullets with a gas check a little heavier. The lead bullets usually shoot with a little higher muzzle velocity than the same weight jacketed bullets.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/index.html

-tINY

DennisD

I just got my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44 mag. I thought about the .357 but decided to go with a little more power in case I want to take a hog (.357 will do it but it is borderline). Nothing wrong with .357 for what you are wanting to do as long as you keep the hog hunting to smaller eating size. I reload so ammo cost for me is not much higher with the .44 and I can load .44 spl loads in the .44 mag case to avoid the ring (of course the same can be done with the .357 mag).

As to using the same ammo in rifle and pistol; that is the way the cowboys used to like it.

You want to shop around; Gander Mountain is not the lowest price place for guns by a long shot. Find a reputable dealer and have him order one for you. Shouldn't take that long.

If you don't want to get into reloading, look at Buffalo Bore ammo for your hunting needs.

Here is another board but it's been kinda dead lately:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99&order=desc

Lots of good info here:

http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

And here:

http://www.leverguns.com/

darko

Check out the Puma lever rifles on budsgunshop.com! They have the 24" oct barrel (stainless no less)357 (12 round capacity) for around $500 or so delivered! Not to mention you can take advantage of the 1 year no payments no interest deal. I've heard alot of good things about these rifles and have one on my must have list.

Lawyer Daggit

The Marlin is a nice rifle, however the round is dissapointing in a rifle.

Although you could use handgun ammo in the rifle if you wanted, to get the most out of the round in a rifle you really need to cook rifle loads- this does away with the advantage of one calibre for everything.

The round is dissapointing. Max range is about 60 yards. It will handle deer and feral pig at a push but I would prefer a 44 magnum.

I used to have a Browning 92 in .357. It and I parted company because of this problem.

Which raises the question- could you get the Marlin in 44 magnum and then go shopping for another handgun.....

Army GI

I tend to agree with lawyer daggit..

The old West Winchesters with combination revolver/rifle cartridges were more of a matter of the limitations of technology than anything else. Previously, the Volcanic and Henry actions could only handle rimfire wuss loads. The 44-40 in the 1873 which launched a 200gr bullet at 1200 fps was a big improvement because it doubled the powder charge, but the action could only handle so much. For comparison, the rifle round introduced in the same year was the 45-70 which launched a 405 grain bullet at 1350fps.

It wasn't until browning came along in 1886 and designed a mechanically superior lever action with locking bolts that could handle the rifle cartridge. Marlin designed one in 1881. The only reason I believe they didn't immediately eclipse the earlier rifles was because they were prohibitively expensive and are pretty pricey to own and fire even today. So instead of spending twice as much most people decided to stick with the 44-40 and '73 and afford twice the ammo.

The .30WCF totally eclipsed every levergun caliber because they were usually as cheap as an 1873 and provided the practical range of the 45-70 and actually surpassed it by 50 yards or so.

I also forgot to mention the Winchester 76, but like other big bore leverguns of the era, they were extremely expensive and heavy. Very few were sold.

So in other words, if you're going to get a rifle, get it in a rifle caliber:). I used to own a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. And while it was neat, and was a lot less expensive to shoot than a rifle, there is no comparison to the 30-30 or 45-70.

629 shooter

I like the idea of shooting one box of bullets through both a revolver and a rifle. There's something about the practicality of using ONE ammunition in your handgun and long gun that really appeals to me for some reason.

There is nothing wrong with having a 357 lever action in addition to your 4" 357 revolver. Apparently the 357 lever has enough fans that feel the same way. I never see a used one in a gun shop. Rare to see even a new one in my area. It is one I would like to have myself.

RedneckFur

As much as I love the .357mag. cartridge, I'd go for the .44mag in a lever gun. It may cost a bit more to shoot, but it will serve you better as a brush gun and a hunting/defense rifle.

Wayward_Son

I appreciate all the responses, but to the naysayers who are advising a larger pistol cartridge or even a true rifle cartridge, please keep in mind that I'm only looking at smallish hogs and smallish deer inside 75 yards for hunting.

Within that framework, is a .357 158gn JHP (such as the defense round sold by Federal Premium) out of a 20" rifle barrel enough to take smaller hogs and smaller whitetail out to 75 yards? That bullet, as advertised, is doing 1240fps out of a 4" barrel with 535 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Or, 1100fps and 430 ft-lbs at 50 yards. Out of a 20" barrel, those figures should all be much higher. It seems to me that this is a reasonable and acceptable setup for the game I plan on hunting. Again, I'm not looking for trophy deer or monster pigs. I'd be pleased with the meat from a 140# spike buck or an 80# hog, something along those lines. I understand that if I'm hunting monster game, and at long ranges , I definitely need to step up to a true rifle. I'd probably opt for 30.06 in Remington 700, but then I wouldn't be asking about a Marlin .357 levergun, would I? ;)

Conversely, is that same Federal Premium cartridge a good personal defense round, or does it penetrate too far without expanding as much as a lighter bullet? In other words, maybe a 125gn Hydrashok moving at 1400fps is a better man-stopper than a 158gn Hydrashok moving at 1240. I don't know. That's why I ask.

Which one bullet can do a reasonable and satisfactory mixed job of small hunting out of a 20" barrel and personal defense out of a 4" barrel? I'm looking for factory ammo here.

jheitertusa

...just a thought.

If you don't need the octagonal barrel, or the custom tuning, consider the plain Marlin 1894C instead of the 1894CB.

Impact Guns has the 1894C for $472.99 and the 1894CB for $703.99

http://www.impactguns.com/store/026495142001.html

You should be able to find similar prices at a good gunshop. Unless I was into competitive CAS, I would opt for the 1894C. I plan to buy one some time later this year.

1894C for $380 at Big 5

I'm looking at my Marlin 1894 .357 that I picked up a week ago from Big 5, for $380 plus taxes. The stock isn't walnut, but you can't beat that price. I believe that the gun was discounted a tad under one of Big 5's semi-monthly sales.

joe poteat

I will not try to talk you out of it. I agree with you on common ammo. I have had super blackhawk and ruger carbine in 44. Have a marlin camp 45 and colt 1911 in 45. With practice i see no problem. Just plinking you shoot cheaper 38.