So...bought another German pistol

Chris_B

I finally decided, and after looking at P99s and Sig P226s, I went with the P226

I took a snap cap with me to the store and looked at a used Sig P226. Some faint wear marks. It spent a little time in a holster, It's the blued one, black grips. The trigger is beautiful in single action and still smooth double. Made before magazine disconnect. I wanted 9mm and it was this or the P99. I don;t mind polymer but steel won out this time, The pistol is so well balanced and feels so good in my hand. I'm starting to see what people are talking about with Sigs. They tossed in an extra mag (both 15 round) and a box of 9mm parabellum, as well as a Sig case. I want to get an owner's manual before I fire it. Pics to follow

David the Gnome

I love the P226 but I think given the choice between it and an AS P99 I'd probably go with the Walther. That double/single action trigger on the Walther is probably the best striker fired trigger ever used in a production gun. It's also surprisingly thin for a gun that has the same capacity as the P226. You can't really go wrong with either gun and every gun lover should own a P226 at least once in their life, but I think my own personal preference would be for the Walther. ;)

Chris_B

Reminds me quite a lot of a Browning High Power

P226.jpg

rsxr22

that is an extremely beautiful, classic 226.

That is silly! I cannot believe people would be posting about what you should have got LOL

Well you can never go wrong with a Sig! I have a 226 BWTAC and it is soo awesome, i love the magwell grips.

Congrats and have fun with it!

Coltman 77

Congrats on your new Sig. An excellent choice. :D

The 220 and 226 I own have have excellent triggers, are accurate and uber reliable.

Chris_B

I have just field stripped and cleaned the pistol. Somebody over-oiled the heck out of the thing; it was nearly drippy

Grips have an '87' on the inside and the proof marks have a 'JJ' under them. JJ= 1988 according to what I'm seeing online?

Am I to understand this pistol is 21 years old?! Wouldn't that make this pistol the same vintage as ones made that lost out to Beretta for US military contracts? I saw the "Germany" on the slide but its so ingrained not to think of East and West Germany anymore, my mind glossed right over the "W. Germany" and read "Germany". I like this pistol even more now- take that commies! It looks a year old tops. I'm having trouble believing the pistol is 21 years old. I very much like these grips- there's not a nick on them, either. I don't really care for the looks of the ones on the P226s on display at Sig's website

Judging from the construction, it's built like a battleship. I'm finding very few blemishes on the pistol; it seems barely broken in. Barrel looks new, barrel, frame and slide all match s/ns. I inspected it at the shop of course, and I had no notion it was not virtually new. Well made machine; I see nothing not to like. I'm already pleased with it, and I haven't put a single round through it yet

Citizen Carrier

German? I thought Sigs were Swiss?

Or was it used by a German agency or department?

Anyway, looks good. A local store had one for awhile with wood grips, but in .38 Super. Wish I'd jumped on it...

Chris_B

German? I thought Sigs were Swiss?

Or was it used by a German agency or department?

Anyway, looks good. A local store had one for awhile with wood grips, but in .38 Super. Wish I'd jumped on it...

:D

They had an agreement with a German firm for export due to Swiss law; SIG's name is Swiss but SIG Sauer is Swiss/German. They are owned by Germans and are made in Germany and I believe... New Hampshire? (although mine has "SIGARMS INC Herndon - VA" on the left side of the slide.)

DBAR

Your gun looks to be in excellent condition.

My Father just picked up a 20 year old P226, and it's a great gun. I picked up a P220 about the same time, and just this week we went shooting together. The P226 seemed like a .22 after shooting the P220 with some handloads. I was getting "Poker Chip" sized groups out of both of them at 25 feet. I could fire the P226 fairly rapid, and keep the shots in a nice tight group.

You should lube it pretty good. I prefer grease, especially on the rails since the slide is steel and the frame is aluminum. You should also grease the take down lever bar, and the block in the frame that the barrel sits on (Locking Insert). Don't forget to put a dab of grease on the hammer where it takes a beating from the slide going back. I'm only saying this because you don't have an owners manual, but I'm not sure if that info is in there. These are just tips I picked up over in the Sigforum.com.

Here is a link for you on an owners manual. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/sig_p220to245.pdf

Good Luck,
DBAR