so, 6.5 Manbun, or ???

std7mag

Having been reading up on the "new" 6.5mm PRC, i'm leaning towards it.
Seems to be in decent company with the 6.5-06 A Square, 6.5-284, and 6.5mm Rem Mag.

Based on 375 Ruger case.

T. O'Heir

The whole 6.5 thing is just the latest fad. Most of 'em are the latest answer to an unasked question. Lotta stuff like that around. Much like the .375 Ruger that starts at about $60 per 20.
Hornady is marketing the PRC as another "short magnum". It requires a standard magnum bolt face. that's .532” diameter.

jmr40

Most of 'em are the latest answer to an unasked question.

Actually the opposite is true. Some people are under the impression that Hornady developed the 6.5 CM then hyped it to sell it. The truth is that long range shooters went to Hornady and asked for a cartridge that would meet certain goals. The 6.5 CM was the result. The cartridge has never been advertised, but has exploded in popularity based on word of mouth testimonials.

I'm not so sure about the 6.5 PRC. There have been fast 6.5's for over 50 years, all have been noted as barrel burners and none have caught on. I just don't see this cartridge doing so either, and for the same reasons. The appeal of the 6.5 CM is that it is a mild shooting cartridge that takes advantage of high BC bullets to retain energy down range rather than muscle to get them fast at the muzzle.

The 6.5 CM delvers enough energy out to 700-800 yards for most hunting applications and is still a viable target round out past a mile. That is a lot farther than most shooters can shoot. All the fast 6.5's do is add another 100 yards to that while burning more powder and burning up barrels faster.

std7mag

Yup, it does indeed have it's merits..
I kinda like the thought of something like a Kimber Hunter in 6.5X57 Mauser.

Jim Watson

I have never seen a 6.5x57 Mauser. Privi makes the ammo but the guns seem uncommon.
A 6.5x54 Mauser is even scarcer.
There are numbers of 6.5x55 Swede, some on "strong actions" that can be overloaded a bit.

I think I would just go with the flow and get the CM.
But I could be tempted by a cu$tom .256 Newton.

FrankenMauser

If I were to go 6.5, I think it would be 6.5x50mm, all the way.
In my opinion, it's the best of the military 6.5s. It's well balanced, efficient, and doesn't require a long action or high chamber pressure.

I understand the draw to the 6.5 'Magnum' stuff, but it's not for me.

Of all the current 6.5 bandwagon cartridges, I think I'd go for the underdog: .260 Rem. Not as high strung. Easier on brass and barrels. And half the idiots at the range still don't know what it is, even when they do instantly recognize 6.5 Creedmoor.

Having been reading up on the "new" 6.5mm PRC, i'm leaning towards it.

All of this caliber-chasing is fine if you are looking for a particular result that can only be given to you by a very specific caliber, but otherwise, it is just that, caliber-chasing.

Few of us use our given calibers to their full potential. We are operating well inside of the envelope of their capabilities and often the differences between the calibers are pretty darned small in the grand scheme. I know that I am not making kills with my 6.5 Grendel at 500-700 yards and mostly shoot it inside 200 when hunting. There are a LOT of other calibers that will work very well for my needs. I have yet to ever even consider bison hunting with my .45-70, but shot a bunch of hogs with it. Again, lots of other calibers will handle that task just fine.

The question I ask people before they make such new purchases is what exactly is having the new _____ (in this case, caliber) caliber going to resolve for you that your other owned _____ (calibers) aren't doing for you? In most cases, the query is followed up by, Is the tiny difference really worth all the expense, or are you just wanting to buy something new? Nothing wrong with wanting to buy something new, but sometimes we go overboard in self-delusion that the new purchase is truly needed and often is the case that it is not.

Now, I did make the change to 6.5 Grendel from larger bore .308 and .45-70 due to medical issues I had at the time (doc said I needed to limit recoil impacts on my body for many weeks). There were multiple choices of calibers with less recoil that I could have chosen that would all meet my needs. I happened to go with Grendel as a buddy had it and spoke highly of it, but I could have gone with 6.8 SPC and it would have met my needs equally well for the task at hand. And then I went heavy barrel and some other things to help reduce the recoil even further.

Buy what you like, but from what I have seen time and time again, unless you are really using a given caliber to resolve a particular performance issue, chances are it isn't all that different from others you already have in the safe. So you need an extra 2-4" of elevation at 300 yards with one you already own, is that really such a burden?

std7mag

I don't NEED another rifle. I have need more than covered. :D:
And aside from a specific rifle that makes me say ooohhh aaahhhh, i'm only looking for donor rifles to do builds upon.
I do fully intend to build a 6.5mm Rem Mag. ( have the dies and have formed brass from 7mm Rem Mag already, just looking for suitable donor)..
I'm waiting for Savage to do a rebate on the Axis to build two, 7mm-08 on.

Rifles i would buy for the right price include.
Weatherby in 257 WM
Dakota in 7mm Dakota
NULA in 257 Roberts or 284 Win. Ditto the Kimber Hunter.

I know fast isn't everything (and i don't own or reload for 6.5mm yet) but those that have em, seem to love em.

handlerer2

Let me see if I have this right.

The 6.5 popularity is just a fad.

If you appreciate any Creedmoor chambering you are an effeminate, limp wristed sissy than wears a goofy bun on his head.

Thank you guys so much for the education.

I have noticed that some folks resent praise for any product that isn't their pet. Then become rather offensive if someone dares criticize their pet.

I try to avoid giving advice when I'm clueless, so I must admit that I'm amused when others don't practice the same restraint.

I don't know why this just popped into my head. I remember my Grandmother saying, and she was talking about a deacon.
" I would like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

Also I gave my 300WBY to my son and shoot 6.5-284 just for fun.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

If you appreciate any Creedmoor chambering you are an effeminate, limp wristed sissy than wears a goofy bun on his head.
It's about the bandwagon, not the effeminate connotation.
But if that's how you wish to view it...

Ben Dover

Fads have nothing to do with masculine or feminine.

Fads are just a mindset of "if everyone else has one, then I want one."

That's why they change so often. I'm old enough to remember when everyone just had to have a Weatherby. Then it was a Sako. Then a 7mm of some kind. Then a .25 caliber of some kind. Then any belted magnum.

Not long ago, you just weren't a part of the "in" crowd if you didn't have a .243.

The 6.5 is the current fad.

std7mag

Lets face it, the Creed is the latest and greatest fad.
Wasn't so many years ago that the 338 LM was the in cartridge.
Instead of CM vs 270 it was LM vs 270.

Hmmm. What does that tell us about the venerable 270?

eastbank

yes I remember the 6.5-300 WWH very well and knew alex hoyer very well and spent some time in his little shop in the Lewistown narrows in the 60-70,s after work. he shot it up at the Williamsport long range shoots. he used norma 202 and h-4831 powder and norma 139gr fmj bullets. I think the so called new weatherby 6.5x300 is the same cartige.

dakota.potts

A number of precision rifle companies that I know have started chambering more and more rifles in 6.5 PRC. My impression is that many of them are going out to PRS type shooters and perhaps some hunters.

The 6.5 Creedmoor does very well competitively out to 1,000 yards, with lots of guys saying the 6mm Creedmoor edges it out a little bit.

In essence, it seems like it's being used to push an extra couple hundred feet per second to gain an advantage in wind and drop and also to edge out a little bit more effective practical distance. Again, this is all from the PRS Shooter's perspective (I don't personally hunt, but I've built a couple 6.5 magnum rifles for some hunters out west).

I'm curious to know the effects of increased recoil, restricted magazine capacity, etc. I imagine many of these rifles are going to shooters who are more interested in the ELR game, where targets regularly go 1200 and beyond, who want the advantages of a 6.5mm cartridge but need a little more oomph. As to re-barreling, most shooters in this field re-barrel their rifles frequently and it's just considered a part of the game. When you look at the cost of a quality re-barreling job once a season or so, it's still much behind the costs of travel, lodging, match fees, training, ammo, yearly range fee etc.

That's just what I know of it. Don't know what (if anything) the long range hunting guys are using it for.