Snub Nose On A Budget

VaTechKA

I am looking for a snub nose as a daily CCW. I don't have a TON of money, and was hoping to find something for less than $400 (used is fine). I want the most for my money, but I also don't want a gun I can't count on. What do you think is the best brand? What caliber?

rgillis

gunbroker is loaded with j-frame S&W snubbies for the price you have in mind. you can't go wrong with a good old S&W 642, perfect carry revolver.

Technosavant

A couple years ago I purchased a new S&W 642 for about $400. So you really aren't that bad off when it comes to budget, just shop around. If you can't find a S&W J frame in budget, my next recommendation (new) might be a Taurus 85/850/851- there's some things I prefer about them over the Smith (but it was easier to find an Airweight S&W than a lightweight Taurus).

I shouldn't think you'd have problems finding a decent revolver, new or used, for $400.

VaTechKA

Thanks for the quick responses!

Okay, so I now know that $400 is plenty to get something decent. What would you say is the cheapest snubbie that I should consider?

45_Shooter

The old Colts (det. special, cobra, agent) are premier guns for CCW IMO. 6 shots instead of 5, smooth action, more condusive to left hand use if necessary, good sights, longer ejection rod, and usually more accurate than the competition. Might be worth a look, as you could probably find one for $400 in good shape.

shinerjohn

Rossi is dependable

I have a Rossi 462 snubby 357 revolver. It works well and I paid $289 at Academy Sports for it. It may be a tad heavy at 26 oz for carry, but I haven't received my CC license yet. They also have a 5-shot .38spec snubby. I prefer the Rossi over Taurus. I have ordered a Rossi 851 .38spec with 4" barrel revolver that may come in today! :D IMHO, Rossi is the best low-priced revolver available. That's my opinion.

Keltyke

A Taurus Model 85UL is well within your price limit. Nice gun - reliable, handles well, easy to carry and conceal, accurate as a snubbie can be. Shoots +p all day long.

I love mine!

BillCA

There are quite a few S&W revolvers that can be purchased as "previously owned" guns for under $400. A used Model 36 "Chief's Special" in .38 Special will run anywhere from $295 to $395, depending on condition, age and the local market of your area.

When looking at used revolvers, it is the mechanical condition you should pay attention to first. Clean, bright bore, little or no flame cutting on the topstrap, firm but smooth trigger and good timing. The appearance of the finish is a secondary concern. As long as the metal isn't heavily rusted or pitted and doesn't look like it was used as a hammer, a worn finish can be corrected at a later date.

If weight means a lot to you in a CCW gun, the Airweight models will probably make you happier than a steel framed gun. Although, if you plan to shoot your carry gun at all frequently, I recommend a steel framed gun for durability as well as recoil reduction.

The S&W 642 is an excellent gun, but I prefer the Model 38 "Bodyguard Airweight" with the humpback hammer shroud. The lightweight guns will cost more, but that is offset by the comfort they offer for all-day/everyday carry.

baker437

Used S&W J frame would be my pick. I had a smaller budget and have had good look my taurus 850. I would pass on a colt d-frame becuase of issues getting parts and finding some one local to do any repairs on these older guns.

1tomcat

I will second the rossi, if you can find a gaood model 877 snub, they are 6 shot and they aare not light, my rossi just fits in a s&w model 66 holster but they are made and dguaranteed by taurus(lifetime warranty)
I would bet my life on mine

45_Shooter

I would pass on a colt d-frame becuase of issues getting parts and finding some one local to do any repairs on these older guns

Ah, you're probably right. If you only got one snub, it's probably better to have something that can be fixed cheap and easy, like an S&W J-frame or snubby K-frame.

It's too bad that the Colt D-frames fell by the wayside though. It truly was a beautiful way to run a revolver, and slightly better than their competition in almost every way because of it. I know that for the times I carry a snub, chances are the '65 vintage Cobra goes with me, even though I have J and K frames available for this purpose as well.

Technosavant

For carry, especially pocket carry, I'd hold out for a lighter weight gun like the "UL" Taurus models or the Airweight Smiths. 15 ounces empty (plus ammo weight) is about all I want to carry in a pocket. The regular weight ones would be just fine on a belt, but sometimes you just want to toss it in your pocket and go.

cocojo

Buy an older Colt you won't be sorry. You can get a very good gun for that price. Built with quality parts, all hand fitted, six shots, no locks and very accurate guns. That's what I carry and worth every penny.

When it comes to snubbie revolvers, stay away from the discount brands like Charter Arms and Rossi. I would not even recommend Taurus.

Stick to Colt, S&W, and Ruger.

At the price you quoted, I would say stick with S&W. There are a lot of j-frames out there in perfect condition. I would recommend the .357mag versions. That way you can practice with .38spl but defend yourself with the mags.

I recently bought this S&W m640 for $380 and it is a great gun.

If you wants something a litle smaller go with a nice .38spl S&W m60 snubbie.

SWm640.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Look at S&W, Ruger and/or Colt. Stay away from Taurus or Rossi. A cheap pistol will end up costing you much more in the long run. I know of which I speak. As a former Taurus owner, the few bucks I thought I'd save buying a Taurus M85 cost me a hell of a lot more than a new S&W would have had I just bought it first. (My new Taurus M85 seized up around 200 rounds - a fairly common issue with Taurus snubs)

rogertc1

Nothing wrong with Rossi and Taurus. I have Taurus, Rossi, Smith, Ruger, Colt and on and on. All work for me.
Remember when Smith and Ruger went to bed with the Liberals not so very long ago... Colt...do they still sell pistols to the public?