Sneaky IRS FIREARMS REGISTRATION bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrent

I've emailed Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX) , and have a letter going out in today's mail.

Best place I've found to find the addresses both e, and snail mail:
http://www.nraila.org/

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do my best to get he word out among my pro-gun and/or republican friends.

Hutch

I think we should all take a deep breath. There are two possibilities here. 1) This legislation meets the ignominious death it deserves (almost a certainty) or 2) It passes (almost an impossibility). If it DOES pass, then 1) USSC will strike it down, and further improve our understanding of the Constituttion, or 2) The war begins.

Bring it on.

GnL

Apparently the latest NRA fax alert says this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HANDGUN TAX?

As reported in a previous FAX Alert (Vol. 7, No. 12), there has been some concern among members of the pro-gun community over S. 2099, a bill introduced by anti-gun U.S. Senator Jack Reed (D-R.I.). The bill seeks to amend the National Firearms Act (NFA) to treat handguns like fully automatic firearms, requiring them to be registered, and adding a $50.00 tax to any handgun transfer. While NRA opposes this legislation, there is no real threat of it passing at this time. Please continue to focus your energy on pending legislation in the U.S. House, and especially, in the U.S. Senate, that poses immediate threats to our freedoms. And remember, while Congress is on recess, continue to attend your lawmakers' town hall meeting to voice your opposition to these "gun control" schemes. [/quote]

Regardless of what the NRA says, I am strongly in favor of raising hell over this nonsense. Keeping the heat constantly applied can only help us in the long run.

DC

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with GnL...

Though the NRA may think this bill is an impossibility at present, it doesn't hurt one whit to raise hell. Let the critters know we are informed and watching them; let them know sneak moves will cost them dearly

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

DCR

CONGRATS to all who wrote legislators!!

Glad there's more interest in this topic - it was originally posted a stretch back, then I posted about it approx. 2 weeks ago.

Thank you, moderators, for allowing this to reappear often. Each time it comes up, more good members write their sen's & rep's.

-Don

poacher

Hey all

not that this isn't already bad news but unfortunantly to add to it.My understanding is that since this is just an amendment to the IRS act of 1986 the finance committee can pass this without the senate having to vote on it. If this is the case then we are in a heap of trouble. (anyone want to guess if it passes or not?).

I think that we are on the right track tho'. If we contact our Representives and Congress people enough they may pitch a B#*!@ and get this taken care of. Remeber Rosie and K-mart we all protested and took our money eleswhere,now Rosie is'nt with K-mart.

"I can only pledge to be the worthy adversary of any man who decides to assist the demise of my country's freedom and independance. Like the Founding Fathers,I promise a determined spirit of resistance against the proponents of internationalism." Chuck Baldwin 8-25-00.

Poacher.

Bruegger

ernest2 - I wouldn't risk listening to these guys who suggest stunts like filing income tax forms with all zeros! You are guaranteed to get an audit and almost certainly will get a PERMANENT designation as an "illegal tax protestor." You'll also be hit for filing a "frivolous return." You'll get clobbered in tax court if you try to actually use these arguments in real life.

LONESOMEDOVE

I just wrote to my senator, Schumer. These bureaucrats make me nauseous! I’m already being harassed financially by the NYPD in order for me to exercise my Second Amendment rights.
I wonder if these individuals (Anti’s and/or Sheeples) realize the harm they are committing to this great Nation.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

B9mmHP

E-Mail, Letters, Phone calls, on thier way to Sen Phil Gramm, Sen Kay B. Hutchison, Dr. Ron Paul and Lamar Smith. I always donate to Dr. Ron Paul so he always answers my e-mail an snale mail.

TexasVet

The Texas Delegation just heard from me again on this bill. It never hurts to tell any politician something over and over. Eventually maybe they'll get it!

------------------
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
68-70
true story, a Union Gen. once said "Don't worry about those Rebs. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..SPLAT.

deanf

Settle . . . settle . . . everybody just settle down.

First of all, I'm not sure what's so "sneaky" about it. I mean, we all know about it, how "sneaky" could it be? It was published in the Federal Register, was it not?

I've read the bill. It doesn't say anything about reporting guns on 1040 forms. It does talk about mandatory registration and tax payment, but not on 1040 forms or any other federal income tax return form. Where does this come from?

How exactly can this become law without passing the full Congress, and being submitted to the President? Heresay doesn't count.

Bills like this are introduced every year. Registration, heavy taxation, prohibition, even confiscation. They never see the light of day.

Not that we shouldn't watch for them and do our part to see they don't become law, but they're nothing to get worked into a lather over.

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

Waitone

I have not read the bill but I will this evening. I do support the idea of applying maximum heat to our elected officials. Do not stop at your congressional delegation. Hit both of your senators, all of your representatives AND all members of the appropriate congressional committee. This may be a senate bill but put heat on the house also. Make them think twice before supporting.

I also think someone needs to start ferreting out the people who introduce such legislation. Who are the people that want to deprive me of my freedom?

------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater--1964

Waterdog

I hope it goes through, this way we will see who really has the balls to fight the bureacracy.

If you put this info on your tax forms, you aint fit to be a gun owner, you might as well just sell your guns, throw some shackles around your hands, and ask the massa, whats next?

Everybody is whining and are hoping they can throw some money at this thing and make it go away, do you think sending money to NRA lawyers is going to fix it for you?, give me a break. Money aint gonna fix ****!

Now all these cyber patriots out there are going to have to either put up or shut up,
most will just do what they are told to do, and put their tails between their legs and disappear into the night.

I am sick of all this whining about what to do, we have been given the solution, it is in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, now it is up to us to implement it.

It will be interesting.

Waterdog

Shin-Tao

Everybody keep calling, writing, and faxing.

For all of the freedom issues.

Doing nothing now because you are simply waiting for it to just "kick off" is stupid.
Can you imagine what the markets will do if there is actual armed insurgancy going on? Collapse! The Market will collapse! The econonmy we cease to be. The value of money will evaporate.
If shooting starts, there is no going back. There is no more fun, no more full nights sleep, no more movies, no more TFL, no more lazy plinking at the local dirt patch.
Life will be like a living hell, with your stomach in knotts from worry and fear.
America will be a bloodier rehash of Northern Ireland and Serbia.

You think nations like China will wait politely while we work things out over here? No. They will be right on our back.

Enough manly talk about the patriotic final solution. If shooting starts, we've lost. America will be dead. The world isn't the same one we had in 1770's. Things can't just settle back down to the way they were before the conflict.

Go put forth more effort to fight the good fight the smart way.

Waterdog

People need to be brought back to reality, life is not a video games, credit cards and
earning 25% from your investments.

The weaklings of our nation will be weeded out in the begining, and good riddence.

MONEY IS NOT MY GOD

Waterdog

[This message has been edited by Waterdog (edited August 27, 2000).]

duck hunt

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waterdog:
People need to be brought back to reality, life is not a video games, credit cards and
earning 25% from your investments.

The weaklings of our nation will be weeded out in the begining, and good riddence.

MONEY IS NOT MY GOD
[/quote]

Feel free to start the revolution, then, Waterdog! I'll be right behind you...as soon as I finish surfing the net, checking my investments and charging some stuff.

If it makes me weak to appreciate having a roof over my head, a good night's sleep and food to eat, then okay, I'm weak. I am not ashamed to admit that I'd like to avoid a bloody revolution if at all possible. But that's just me. I can think of other stuff I'd rather do on a Sunday afternoon.

------------------
*quack*

USP45

You really have to love these guys... NewsMax.com

This is getting scary.

Senator Proposes National Handgun Registration

Stephan Archer
Saturday, Aug. 26, 2000

Having a familiar ring to the "voluntary" income tax forms Americans fill
out each April, gun control advocates are proposing a new bill that would
force gun owners to fill out a registration form and pay a fee for all handguns
in their possession.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., introduced the Handgun Safety and Registration Act,
or S.2099, because "the police should not be limited in their ability to track
down criminals." Reed is confident his bill will be approved either by this
Congress or the next.

If the bill passes, all handgun owners in the United States would be required
to obtain a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms registration form and
FBI fingerprint form FD-258, either from their local chief law enforcement
officer, by mail from the BATF, at a U.S. Post Office or from a regional
BATF/Treasury Department facility.

On the registration form, the registrant must affix a 2x2 inch photograph of
himself taken within the last year. The completed form is must then be taken
to the chief law enforcement officer, who then completes the "Law
Enforcement Certification" portion of the form.

The fingerprint card form must also be completed with the assistance of a
person qualified to do so, and a check for $5 must be made out to the BATF.
All completed forms and tax payments are then mailed to the BATF.

Under the bill, a $50 tax would also be imposed on the making of all
handguns. It is most likely this cost would also trickle down to the gun buyer.

Currently, only owners of machine guns, short-barrel shotguns and
short-barrel rifles, silencers, bombs, grenades and other specialized weapons
have to go through this procedure as is required by the 1934 National
Firearms Act. However, if S.2099 passes, handguns will become an additional
item of the NFA.

In an effort to assist law enforcement agencies with their ability to track
down criminals who use handguns, the bill, introduced Feb. 24, would also
create an online database of all registered owners.

However, the bill doesn't take into account all the nonregistered gun owners
- namely, criminals - who won't be part of the database. Thus, the
effectiveness of the online system is in serious question.

John Velleco, a spokesman for Gun Owners of America, told NewsMax.com
it is a scary notion to think the government would have online information
for all registered gun owners nationwide, because it is those who register their
weapons who are the upstanding citizens. He believes the bill won't pass.

"Even if it was a Democratic Congress, it would be almost impossible to pass
this," Velleco said. "The scary thing is, every once in a while, lightning does
strike and something like this can just be tacked onto a 'must pass'
appropriations bill. Then suddenly, we wake up in a different country."

But although the effectiveness of the bill and its survival in Congress are in
serious question, Reed believes it will work.

"This bill will limit criminals' access to guns. Background checks will finally
be performed on all handgun sales," Reed said. "Before a handgun owner sells
a gun without registering it, they will be forced to think hard about the crime
they are about to commit and the 10 years they may spend in prison."

Sarah Brady, who chairs Handgun Control Inc., thinks it is about time
Congress considered legislation such as S.2099. Her husband, Jim Brady, was
seriously wounded by a gunshot wound to the head in March 1981 when John
Hinckley tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan. Mr. Brady was the
White House press secretary.

"For far too long in America, too many gun crimes have gone unsolved, and
murderers are getting away with murder because law enforcement doesn't
have a clear paper trail to follow," Brady said. "Requiring handguns to be
registered - like we register cars - would help law enforcement officers do
their jobs, solving crimes."

Commenting on Brady's statement, Velleco said he thinks it is absurd to
compare guns and cars because unlike gun registration, which is a
crime-fighting device, car registration is a revenue-making law that helps
maintain America's roads. He also told NewsMax.com that any kind of gun
registration would be "ludicrous because it's predicated on the assumption
that the criminals are going to register their guns."

Velleco added that if gun control advocates truly want to treat guns like cars,
everyone would be able to buy a gun, just like anybody can go buy a car. One
only has to license and register a car if people decide to drive the vehicle on a
public road or highway. Hence, Velleco suggested a similar solution with
guns. If people want to carry a concealed weapon in public, that, like licenses
to drive a car in public, should be registered. However, if people opt to keep a
gun in the house, nobody - not even the government - needs to know about
it.

In praise of the online system the bill would create, Kristen Rand, director of
federal policy at the Violence Policy Center, said, "Sen. Reed's legislation
brings a complicated and cumbersome handgun tracing system out of the
dark ages and into the 21st century with instant online access."

Velleco suggested the current handgun tracking system could be complicated,
but added: "Freedom should be very uncomplicated. As a citizen, you should
be able to go buy a gun, just like you go buy a car or buy a television. You don't
need to ask Janet Reno's or Bill Clinton's permission to buy anything else."

Summing up what he believes to be the real agenda of this bill and similar
bills proposed by gun control advocates, Velleco said, "The situation here is
that you have zealous, extremist, freedom-hating radicals who don't want
and don't think that citizens should own guns. Period.

"They can masquerade it as waiting periods and background checks and
registration, but the bottom line is they hate guns. They think the
government knows what is best for people, and they want to create a situation
that would have been odious to the Founding Fathers in that only the people
that work for the government have the guns."

------------------
~USP

"[Even if there would be] few tears shed if and when the Second Amendment is held to guarantee nothing more than the state National Guard, this would simply show that the Founders were right when they feared that some future generation might wish to abandon liberties that they considered essential, and so sought to protect those liberties in a Bill of Rights. We may tolerate the abridgement of property rights and the elimination of a right to bear arms; but we should not pretend that these are not reductions of rights." -- Justice Scalia 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.