Snakeshot?

STORM2

What, where and why folks use snake/rat shot is/are dependent on needs and of course compliance with local rules but I suggest folks need to remember/learn where the point of impact is at very close range. Next time you are out in the field grab a piece of cardboard or paper. Draw your snake/rat on it. From a safe distance shoot the drawn target. The first time you do this you might be surprised. Remember the sight and barrel were not designed for 3 feet shots. It will also demonstrate why shot shells are sold....hard to find, expensive but useful when needed. I swap guns at the gate. Mammal gun outside the gate, reptile gun inside the gate. Easier than swapping ammo, it’s a routine along with boots and insect spray.

dogtown tom

"Snakes......I hate snakes", Dr. Henry Walton Jones, Jr

And I'm not a fan of them either.

But there needs to be a reason to dispatch a snake. If he's in my yard, he runs the risk of death. If I'm in the woods or on a trail I let him be.

Snakes are there for a reason. They eat vermin (rats & mice). If your yard/house/barn/whatever is overrun with snakes its likely you have a plentiful supply of food that snakes like to eat. Eliminate or reduce what attracts the vermin and the snakes will look elsewhere.

That said, poisonous snakes that are an immediate danger are not welcome in my yard.

Real men kill snakes with sticks. If not a real man, then screaming usually attracts enough attention and someone will volunteer to beat the snake into a pulp for you. (pretty much any male over age twelve will be willing to do this)

Using a stick is superior to a gun because:
Quieter (except for your screaming)
No reload needed (unless you break your stick)
Sticks don't richochet
Sticks require little practice
Sticks come in various lengths to suit the users ability
Sticks require no permit (as of today)
Sticks can be used inside of the city limits (California may require you to paint the tip orange and limits the length of the stick to 12")

Edit to add:
Shovels or hoes are acceptable, but less satisfying, than the multiple strikes required by a good stick.

rodfac

Here in KY, I've killed a pair of Copperheads on our farm...and yeah I get how they're a part of the ecosystem...but so are my grand-daughters and the old bird dog that follows me when I'm bush hogging. There are plenty of harmless snakes to take care of the mice, voles, etc. but the poisonous ones have no place in my neck of the woods.

Down at our cabin in the Smokies, I killed a couple of rattlers...known as "black wrigglers" down there, they seldom rattle before striking. The two that I shot were on well travelled paths and posed a threat me and mine.

Lastly, I was chased out of a productive smallmouth stream over near Hodgenville, KY by an aggressive Cottonmouth that just kept coming....I made it to the bank finally, after holding him off with the tip of my flyrod, and sorely wished I'd had a .22 revolver with me. Felt like I was auditioning for the lead role in, "The Three Musketeers" and it was the last time I fished there...Regards, Rod

JohnKSa

Administrator
Copperheads aren't particularly aggressive.
That's been my experience with them. They try to get away. If you corner them, they will try to look scary, but mostly it seems they want to get away.

I've heard that water moccasins/cottonmouths will give chase, but I don't have personal experience with them.
The mature snakes are likely to deliver a dry bite, they don't want to waste their venom.
About a quarter of pit-viper bites are "dry bites". They contain little or no venom.
And their venom isn't particularly potent. It would be rare for a healthy adult bitten by a copperhead to die. Small kids or someone in poor health might.
My uncle's dog has been bitten a few times--slow learner. It's a little dog so you would think that it wouldn't have a chance. The first time they took it to the vet who said to give it Benadryl and sent them home. From then on they treated the bites themselves.

I do know of a person who died from a copperhead bite--he and his wife both. They freaked out when he was bitten and got in a fatal accident as they drove furiously to the hospital.

There are copperhead fatalities, I don't want people to think they're harmless, but of the people who are bitten, maybe only one in 10,000 will die. If you are bitten, don't panic. Get medical attention promptly, but don't do anything stupid like driving unsafely or performing any "ditch medicine".

It's also worth keeping in mind that a leading cause of bites is an attempt to harass or kill a venomous snake.

BourbonCowboy

I like the idea of snake shot in my Judge. It's just another option.

As for killing snakes, I typically don't do it. But last year I had to. I'm a school administrator, and about 3 minutes before the last bell, a kid came into my office yelling about a rattlesnake outside. While I had my doubts (as we don't see a lot of rattlers), I had to check it out. Sure enough, there was a rattler crawling around the steps of the school. I had to do something, because the final bell was about to ring and the kids would be stepping over it. So I followed it (occasionally "encouraging" it to move) until it was away from the steps. I found an old steel "No Parking" sign that was left at the side of the building, and when it was clear of the steps, I made my move. I jammed the sign down on its head, whipped out my trusty Spyderco Native 5 and cut off the head. The maintenance staff wanted to take the snake away, but I wouldn't let em. I needed a hatband. It's now in my freezer...much to my wife's chagrin.

But I would've loved to be able to dispatch that rattler with some snakeshot instead of my knife.

Mainah

There are copperhead fatalities, I don't want people to think they're harmless, but of the people who are bitten, maybe only one in 10,000 will die. If you are bitten, don't panic. Get medical attention promptly, but don't do anything stupid like driving unsafely or performing any "ditch medicine".

And remove any jewelry. Swelling is involved, and a wedding band can create a nasty injury.

ligonierbill

FWIW, I've been reading all I can and communicating with the PH in preparation for a trip to Namibia. They have some serious snakes there, but I have only read two cautions: Don't grab the bushes for balance or otherwise. Some snakes are arboreal and object to this. (Everything has thorns anyway.) And the main snake to watch out for is the puff adder. Aggressive? Nope, lazy. They don't bother to get out of your way, making it more likely that you'll step on one. Cobras, mambas, etc? They want nothing to do with us, and I'm fine with that. Wouldn't mind seeing one, though.

My brother and a buddy decided some years ago to go to a rattlesnake roundup in northcentral PA. Price of admission was you had to bring a rattlesnake. There's a rocky point where we hunt that is just buzzing in the summer, so they collected a couple and went to the roundup with their sack. They decided that the humans present looked scarier than the snakes, so they turned theirs loose and went home.

Pistoler0

It would be great to hear from someone in the Florida swamps dealing with them big pythons... You'd need a 44 mag for one of those! :D

MarkCO

MarkCO,
Great info....thanks. Which of the components do you use?
I use the wad in the link. 110 grains of #9 over 4.0 grains of clays with an overshot card, heavy roll crimp and a few dots of hot glue...that is a good and safe starting load. I have killed a few rattlers at 7 to 8 yards with that exact load...one shot done.

KyJim

I live in an established subdivision in town. A couple of years ago, I started to move my herbie trash can and there was a copperhead underneath. It struck twice at me. My response was to dispatch it with a shovel.

I'm guessing the snake may have been in some mulch someone in the neighborhood used. Then it slithered under my herbie for heat since the herbie was on a concrete patio and the weather was sunny but cool.

Mainah

FWIW, I've been reading all I can and communicating with the PH in preparation for a trip to Namibia. They have some serious snakes there, but I have only read two cautions: Don't grab the bushes for balance or otherwise. Some snakes are arboreal and object to this. (Everything has thorns anyway.) And the main snake to watch out for is the puff adder. Aggressive? Nope, lazy. They don't bother to get out of your way, making it more likely that you'll step on one. Cobras, mambas, etc? They want nothing to do with us, and I'm fine with that. Wouldn't mind seeing one, though.

I did a safari in South Africa four years ago. I was seated next to a guy who had grown up there for several drives. We came in close contact with four of the big five and he never batted an eye, just kept taking pictures.

On our last night there together we were drinking at the lodge and the waiter pointed out a small, and harmless snake in the tree above us. The South African native freaked out and ran away.

JohnKSa

Administrator
One good bit of advice for operating in snake country.

Don't put your feet or hands anywhere without looking first. The big one is stepping over things. The problem is that if there's something on the other side of what you step over, you can't see it before you step on it. Critters don't take kindly to being stepped on and if they can hurt you, they will surely do so.

44 AMP

Staff
One of the many things by father taught me about woods walking, step ON the log, not over..(poke/kick first if possibly rotten) never reach or step into places you cannot see before you do it, things like that.

Not widely known by non-locals but like a lot of places, between the thaw of spring and the hard freeze of fall, "upstate" New York IS rattlesnake country.

Eastern Diamond back, primarily. When I was a lad, nearly every year there was a 6 footer (+) killed in or near South Bay. The road over Tongue Mountain was put through in the winter, because in the summer, when the crews got off their dozers and graders, the snakes got on...and in! :eek:

Hogtown is so named because the early settlers raised hogs as their defense against the rattlesnakes...

when I was a lad, the state paid a bounty on them. (which, naturally, ended about the time I was big enough to go after them on my own...:rolleyes:)

I know they have a place in the balance of nature, but they are dangerous vermin eaters, and I destroy them when possible. If they leave, I let them go, I don't go after them, but otherwise, they are dealt with, permanently. Snake shot is good for this, where it can be used.

Pahoo

Look before you step or tie-off !!!!

When my wife and I, use to fish back-waters out of our canoe. We would routinely stop at a point of land and fish some deep holes. I was at the stern and she was at the the front where she was in a position to tie us to a sapling or tree-root. A point that finally came to mind was that she should inspect the ground for snakes and poison ivy, before tying-off. ...... :rolleyes:
We were about three feet from the shore when I mentioned this. No sooner got the words out when she shouted; back-up, back-up. We both paddled "Full-Aft" just as a big Blue-Racer, slithered into the water. I then told her that we should now be okay and to go ahead and tie-off. Needless to say that she would not have any part of that and so we me moved on, a lot smarter for the experience.

By the way, this area still has some Timber Rattlers. !!!! :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Laz

I almost hate to admit I saw this thread and at first wanted click on it to see why someone would ask about hot snakes.

Pumpkin

We have about a hundred acres east of San Antonio, 30+ years ago copperheads where what we worried about. Over the last 20 or so years rattle snakes have become increasingly more common and scare the hell out of me. My son and I both have 642's kept loaded with 38SPL CCI snake shot, the short barrel does great with these and have never failed to kill the snake. As noted before ricochet is not an issue with this round which is important for you and any equipment you might have in the area.
I also have an old Stevens .410, it will turn a snake inside out! I've shot them with most everything, used shovels, hoes, pipe you name it.
We have mothballs spread all around in the tractor shed, they don't seem to like them too much.

kenny53

I have killed a few snakes over the years. The last one was a small rattler that wasn't bothering anybody. We were out in the west desert of Utah hunting jackrabbits. The little guy gave a short rattle and I shot him. I honestly felt bad and have never killed another snake. If I am in their back yard I'll leave them alone, in my backyard that may be another story.

Drm50

Snake loads out of handgun are play things. To kill/ stop snake you have to be 3-4’ at most.
I have hunted snakes for skins to sell. I didn’t like to shoot a snake and dock value. Shot has one purpose. To shoot a snake where you can’t use a bullet. I have never shot a snake as a have to because it was going to strike. A wad cutter is more effective. A striking snake is going to coil. Easy target even as reflex.

MarkCO

Snake loads out of handgun are play things. To kill/ stop snake you have to be 3-4’ at most.

Every snake I have shot with my snake loads has been 10 to 30 feet. None of them did anything but twitch where I shot them after being killed. So that assertion is false.